PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G5 1.8 single

mgsnat75
Aug 17, 2011, 05:14 AM
hi, i just saw on my local craigslist an ad for a powermac g5 1.8ghz single core for $125 obo. i was wondering if it is worth the price or lower? before people comment on how old and slow it is. primary use is to compliment my new desk for school (collection) and just another mac to use when I'm not using my macbook pro. i.e., safari, iTunes and office use only. perhaps burning cds and dvds but thats all. so what do you guys think?

bizzle
Aug 17, 2011, 05:50 AM
They are pretty slow, especially if its the education market 1.8 because it has a 600mhz bus vs 900mhz. Even the faster 1.8 is going to be rough for web browsing if you plan on viewing any Flash content.

As far as the price, ehh. Personally I wouldn't do it at. I'd try to get it for less than $100 if I really wanted it.

zen.state
Aug 17, 2011, 07:58 AM
For $125 I would grab it if I was in the market for G5 tower. Please don't listen to bizzle and his ignorance.

AlexKladoff
Aug 17, 2011, 12:01 PM
I've being using PowerMac G5 1,8 / 4 Gb Ram / 300 Gb + 1 Tb / OS X 10.5.8 for 3 years for intensive Photoshop works as a photographer. Had to switch from Ubuntu with LR and PS running in virtual machine to someting Applish :). Ok, it's very-very-very slow with Aperture and very slow with Lightroom RAW processing and nothing to speak about with HD video works :( . But for $125 go and grab it, it does just fine what you need for your daily easy stuff.
PS: new mac mini server is on the way. I will miss you, my beloved G5 :apple:

doctormark77
Aug 17, 2011, 12:02 PM
I'd probably pull the trigger and go for it. Make sure you can test it. How much ram does it have? I use a 1.6 single g5 with 1.5gb of ram for Photoshop 7 and generic surfing under ten four fox. I'm running tiger currently. I've also replaced the stock GeForce fx5200 with a Radeon 9600xt from a dual processor g5. YouTube performance is ok but not amazing. It would probably be smoother with more ram. You would probably do better than me with the 1.8. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but i think in addition to the extra 200mhz the 1.8 has more cache than the 1.6.

mgsnat75
Aug 17, 2011, 12:10 PM
ok great. I'm going to try to make an offer of $90. see if the person can let if go for that. i have used g4 powerbooks and those were decent tho they did lag with youtube but i don't think it should be a problem with the g5.

bizzle
Aug 17, 2011, 12:11 PM
edit: no point in posting in this section.