PDA

View Full Version : Windows in 2011 Mini

olindacat
Aug 17, 2011, 07:53 AM
I'm not a Windows user but my 85 y.o. dad is. He is on a really old version, like XP from the early-to-mid-2000s, so I want to replace his system for him. I was considering PC hardware but think it iis cheap and ugly. The Mac mini is nice na dsmall I I know Macs. Is this a good way to go?

Will he even know it is a Mac?

Can someone tell me the best way to set this up for him, in terms of installing Windows and having it boot for him so he never knows he is on a Mac?

Is there a bullet-proof version of Windows nowadays?

Can you recommend the best version of MS Office for that OS? (I have 2011 for Mac and it SUCKS!!!)

Thanks for help!

maflynn
Aug 17, 2011, 08:00 AM
If you're planning on running windows full time, then I'd avoid the mini as its not the best choice. For instance you'll need to purchase an optical drive.

There are plenty of good computers prices similarly if not cheaper that would include the cost of Windows.

With the mini, you'll need to buy an optical drive, keyboard, mouse, monitor (if you don't have one laying around), and a license for windows.

Win7 is a solid product and the home premium that comes standard with most PCs should be sufficient.

Markov
Aug 17, 2011, 08:27 AM
While I agree with you regarding PC's and the hideous aesthetics, it would be a better idea to just purchase a PC. If you get the Mac Mini and buy a new version of Windows, you will be spending more than the cost of a PC.

Now if you decide to go ahead with that idea, I'm quite sure you can insert a Windows bootable disk, wipe the hard drive and install Windows as the only operating system. I gave my dad my old MacBook Pro, but what I did instead was create a small OS X partition and a large Windows partition. I did this in the event Windows became corrupt or virus ridden so I had a different way of pulling his personal files off before reformatting. That ended up being a good idea, because I had to reformat it for exactly that reason.

olindacat
Aug 17, 2011, 08:30 AM
Not so sure he'll need the optical. I'm in the next apartment and can always put anything he needs on a portable. I ordered him a XARMOR-U9BL Backlit Illuminated Mechanical Keyboard and Razer Deathadder 3500 High Precision 3.5G Infrared Gaming Mouse and was going to pick up a 40" HDTV for his monitor (wall mount).Just thought the form factor for mini might be best. Have six iMacs but even the 24" for him is too small.

----------

While I agree with you regarding PC's and the hideous aesthetics, it would be a better idea to just purchase a PC. If you get the Mac Mini and buy a new version of Windows, you will be spending more than the cost of a PC.

Now if you decide to go ahead with that idea, I'm quite sure you can insert a Windows bootable disk, wipe the hard drive and install Windows as the only operating system. I gave my dad my old MacBook Pro, but what I did instead was create a small OS X partition and a large Windows partition. I did this in the event Windows became corrupt or virus ridden so I had a different way of pulling his personal files off before reformatting. That ended up being a good idea, because I had to reformat it for exactly that reason.

Thanks Markov. The idea of partitioning is a really good one. Can I just do a SW partition? Isn't Lion supposed to have a really good Bootcamp mode? I was thinking it came with some version of Windows but I haven't read up on it yet. So, I'd have to install windows by what, downloading?

maflynn
Aug 17, 2011, 08:33 AM
Not so sure he'll need the optical.
Windows still is DVD only, unless you want to try to go through the hassle of putting it on a thumb drive

Markov
Aug 17, 2011, 08:42 AM
Macs do not come with any version of windows, just a means to partition your hard drive to install it. Installing windows from a thumb drive is not that difficult. Here is the guide I once used.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_install_windows_7_usb_key

If you do not have a PC to set it up, I'll look for a guide that does it using OS X (if one exists anyway lol)

olindacat
Aug 17, 2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks for replies guys :-)

Young Spade
Aug 17, 2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks for replies guys :-)

The USB way si great if you don't have the dvd drive; if you want though, just borrow one from somebody, buy Windows 7, run Bootcamp (from OS X) and install and you'll be done within an hour.

Just to let you know, once you partition the drive, you'll have to delete it to repartition later on. There are some programs out there that will do it for you as well.