Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
Came across this item:

MBA Dock

Only downside I can see (other than the price) is that it cannot power the MBA...not sure why that was not included.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
It's a shame about the power. Probably an Apple patent infringement issue.

yes, that is why there are no aftermarket chargers or external batteries. Apple won't allow them.

BTW, I plan to use the new thunderbolt display as my "dock".

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
That is one expensive dock...

True, but you get a free 27" Cinema Display with it! :D

It's interesting that the Thunderbolt display is the same price as the 27" Cinema Display. Trouble is I need any display to also work with DVI as I swap between my Macbook Air and my work laptop.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I wish Apple had something like the dock that's on the new display -- but without the display. Just a dock, please! :)

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
just get the thunderbolt display..

this makes absolutely no sense to me!

if you are docking your laptop, than you are using an external display..

for the 999, you get a great display and a docking station that uses thunderbolt and powers your air...and its awesome

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Nine Hundred and Ninety Nine Dollars. For a monitor. Oh, and a dock, too. :)

Man...

Have a look at the prices on competing 27" 2560x1440 IPS panel displays. IPS is expensive. Competing Dell and NEC panels are both around the $1000 mark on Newegg.

Yes, it's pricey, but for the spec's the Thunderbolt display is actually competitive. The trouble is not a lot of people really truly *need* the specs a 27" IPS display panel provides.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
$250 and it doesn't power the MBA? No thanks - that's a quarter of the new Thunderbolt display.

Gator Bob

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
A Thunderbolt dock with a superior display for Photoshop -- mine is on order. Too bad Apple did not include an external GPU like the one in the Sony Vaio Z2's external dock.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Those of us that already own an expensive/quality monitor would LOVE to have just the dock part. Anyone think it'll happen??

L0s7man

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2009
A Thunderbolt dock with a superior display for Photoshop -- mine is on order. Too bad Apple did not include an external GPU like the one in the Sony Vaio Z2's external dock.

Look up ViDock Thunderbolt. Proper dock with external GPU of your choice via Thunderbolt. Coming in some months.

The problem is that *NO ONE* seems to have access to Thunderbolt chips. There are bazillion hardware manufacturers who want to cash-in on making Thunderbolt products and no one seems to be able to get the damn chips/specs from Intel. It's stupid. Apple flopped real bad here.

Where are Thunderbolt external hard-drives (imagine Vertex3 SSD via Thunderbolt at full speed... wow), USB3 adapter, some really cool docking solutions, etc, etc...

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Nine Hundred and Ninety Nine Dollars. For a monitor. Oh, and a dock, too. :)

Man...

Do some research. Totally price competitive and in fact cheaper than many other 27' of this quality and resolution plus TBB and ethernet ports which no other monitors have..

Now if you are comparing it to cheap TN panels from Wal-Mart then that would be different.

----------

The problem is that *NO ONE* seems to have access to Thunderbolt chips. There are bazillion hardware manufacturers who want to cash-in on making Thunderbolt products and no one seems to be able to get the damn chips/specs from Intel. It's stupid. Apple flopped real bad here..

How are IBM issues Apples fault? How do you know they can't get product from IBM?

L0s7man

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2009
Do some research. Totally price competitive and in fact cheaper than many other 27' of this quality and resolution plus TBB and ethernet ports which no other monitors have..

Now if you are comparing it to cheap TN panels from Wal-Mart then that would be different.

----------

How are IBM issues Apples fault? How do you know they can't get product from IBM?

IBM? Huh?

If you dig around a bit you'll find that manufacturers say they're waiting for stuff from Intel and until they get it they can't do anything. Atlona or ViDock guys say so.

You'd imagine it'll be like "hey, let's make TB product!" then call Intel, get chips/specs and off you go. But it seems a lot of manufacturers *haven't even started* on TB products because they can't get anything.

Even the bloody TB cable from Apple was only made available in June. TB has awesome potential but at the moment is the most useless thing ever!

This is all really weird... if there was not a single TB product I'd sort of understand... Delays or whatnot. But there is the RAID from Promise. How come one company can get something out of the door an no one else can? It's a race after all... All the Macbook Airs out there could use a whole lot TB expansions. Not to mention all those MBPs which had good for nothing TB for a while now. It's a lot of people you can sell your stuff to and whoever gets their stuff out of the door first wins.

johnadams2007

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
for those of us who may already own an excellent display (dell u3011 for me), the $999 is really hard to justify =[

luckily i own a 2010 mba and don't have to worry myself with this dilemma. lol

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Do some research. Totally price competitive and in fact cheaper than many other 27' of this quality and resolution plus TBB and ethernet ports which no other monitors have.
I never said (or even implied) that it wasn't competitively priced. I implied that 999 dollars is a lot to spend on a monitor. Period. And to me, it is. I don't need to do any research to tell me that! :)

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Once they are released, you can bet your sweet patootie the first orders will come from red China.

Then wait six months and watch for the knockoffs to be sold on flea-bay!

I had a thing about knockoffs earlier (when I was young :) ) when for example jeans used to be made in 3rd world countries so you would get Diesel, Levi's etc. jeans for the fraction of a price... and the Levi's made in USA were 20x more expensive, but original... ah yes, the knockoffs would have a pocket sawn upside down or whatever... :)

Now days however, I am struggling with the concept... If a certain 3rd world manufacturer (lit. made by hands :) ) makes Diesel jeans or Levi's (none of which are made in the USA any more), or whatever else... and those are sold for what we pay in official stores, and then the same manufacturer makes "knockoffs" and sells them by "less traditional ways"... What exactly is the difference?

In my industry, the QA/QC people are having real difficulties with the problem of "certified knockoffs"... I.e. we buy things that seem to be legit (paying the full price), only for these to be shown to be off spec...

Not arguing, just trying to point that it is becoming very hard to stick to "original manufacture" when all seems to be made in the same shop.

/end rant.

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
I wish Apple had something like the dock that's on the new display -- but without the display. Just a dock, please! :)

Yearning for my Duo 240/280 days. Loved that platform.

When my Gen I iMac Aluminum DT dies, hello Thunderbolt display as my dock!

RobQuads

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2010
I never said (or even implied) that it wasn't competitively priced. I implied that 999 dollars is a lot to spend on a monitor. Period. And to me, it is. I don't need to do any research to tell me that! :)

Exactly - I along with a large number of people don't need a really high quality monitor for any of the work I do on the air. At home I have a nice $200 Dell 20" monitor that is more than enough for what i want to do. So an extra $1000 for a dock is a lot of money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.