Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kosolapiy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Hi all!
Recently I've been thinking of what king of interesting accessory for iPad I can make myself. And I have come up with a leather case with solar panel in it. I have made a prototype - it works fine. And I'm thinking of making that kind of cases for other people too. :D
Anyway, after careful studies of the market I'm having now a good supplier of solar panels that are thin, light and powerful. A good supplier of leather, and a person who can put it together. The only thing that I'm missing - funds. :D:D
So, everybody is very welcomed to visit my profile here .
Here are some pictures of the making process and prototype.

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    518.7 KB · Views: 153
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    618.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

kosolapiy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Riga, Latvia
It is only the beginning, I will think of it. Actually, general idea is to receive investments for exchange of goods I will be making.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
seek out Venture Capital ... you will also need a solid Business Plan.

If the Business Plan is good, you may have an outside chance.

IMO what you have going against you is the fact iPad batteries already have awesome life.

good luck :cool:

Dave421

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
is this idea looks so bad, that only one from more than hundred has any comments? :roll eyes:

I actually kind of like it but do have a few concerns.

1: the size of the case. Obviously you need a 30-pin connector at the base so you're looking at something a bit larger than average.

2: keeping the ipad "plugged in" to the case. Leather is pliable so I could see issues with it being able to keep the ipad plugged in to the 30-pin connector so that there's always a solid connection

3: fragility. You're putting a fairly large solar panel on the front of a case. That basically removes all of the protective properties of the case since you now have a fragile panel on the front that also needs protection. You can extend this into the 30-pin connector. Since leather is not stiff, the possibility of a short seems greater.

4: heat. Solar panels get pretty hot in the sun. Is the case going to be useable after the ipad has been sitting there charging for an hour? What about transferring that heat to the ipad since they are in such close proximity? iPads have been known to overheat in direct sunlight before. I could see the panel causing the same issue.

I hope you don't take offense to my list. I really do think it's a great idea that has a lot of potential. I just see several areas where pretty substantial issues could effectively ruin you. Hopefully you've already considered all of these and have some ideas. You've actually rekindled the similar idea that I had back when the original ipad came out.

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
kewl idea, all the other solar chargers on the market for iPad are stand alone models. it would be nice to see one that doesn't add another accessory to the pile of stuff people already have to carry around.

like Apple OC stated, develop a good business plan and then seek out venture capitol or one or two good investors. also think about how you will market them and how you're going to sell. online, catalog, brick & mortar, or the back of comic/magazine.
have you thought out all the pros and cons for this? bulk (thickness of the case plus the iPad, heat (solar panels and sun=heat; sensitive electronics don't like heat, current (what keeps is constant-is your circuit off the shelf or did you design), connectors (how do they connect-iPad we know, but then when we do anything else just is just dangle there, self retracting...etc. it really is hard to bring something to market and make real money at it, all the best to you and sincerely good luck

i like the thought and design, let us know when they are ready and post again

Last edited:

kosolapiy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Riga, Latvia
A major part of mentioned problems are already solved, others will be corrected in next prototype. About financing... I have a good business plan, but at the moment I'm going alternate way, by raising funds through the web site. If I get enough donations - people will get in return the goods I produce, if not - people will get money back. And the I'll be going the classic way.

Donations anyone? :D:D:D:D:D

kosolapiy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Dear all!
You are missing your amazing chance to donate some $$$ into my project. This is not a waste of money, because depending on donated amount you will receive gift coupon or totally new product - very handy and very useful iPad case with build-in solar panel! Come on, everyone, just 115$, or 70GBP - and one will be yours!

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
How long does it take to charge theipad to full? I'm guessing it can't do it in 8 hours. But it's great for trickle charging.

I've been considering buying a large solar panel to charge iPad in case or no electricity. Your case looks nice though. Doesn't look like you will be anywhere near your funding goals. Honestly, it looks like your problem is marketing. Your voice is boring :) you gotta get someone to jazz that video up. Perhapss try putting it on kick starter.

I would pay $100 for one of your cases.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Dear all!
You are missing your amazing chance to donate some $$$ into my project. This is not a waste of money, because depending on donated amount you will receive gift coupon or totally new product - very handy and very useful iPad case with build-in solar panel! Come on, everyone, just 115$, or 70GBP - and one will be yours!

People might doubt the skills of someone who types out the words "rolls eyes" instead of knowing how to add a smiley to his post.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
No part of me wants to invest $1 let alone a $100!

Solar panels are ugly,heavy,easily damaged. there is a reason this hasn't been done by other company's already. I rather just got with the small rechargeable external battery. if needed a battery pack is cheaper lighter and better imo. sorry pass! oh and I thought we weren't supposed to solicit here. :confused:

kosolapiy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Riga, Latvia
How long does it take to charge theipad to full? I'm guessing it can't do it in 8 hours. But it's great for trickle charging.

I've been considering buying a large solar panel to charge iPad in case or no electricity. Your case looks nice though. Doesn't look like you will be anywhere near your funding goals. Honestly, it looks like your problem is marketing. Your voice is boring :) you gotta get someone to jazz that video up. Perhapss try putting it on kick starter.

I would pay $100 for one of your cases.

Hi!
I think it should about 8 hours. But, I can't imagine, that you can discharge it full.

People might doubt the skills of someone who types out the words "rolls eyes" instead of knowing how to add a smiley to his post.
Oh, I see my mistake now!

Solar panels are ugly,heavy,easily damaged. there is a reason this hasn't been done by other company's already. I rather just got with the small rechargeable external battery. if needed a battery pack is cheaper lighter and better imo. sorry pass! oh and I thought we weren't supposed to solicit here.
Your opinion is your opinion, but technology goes forward rapidly. There was a time, when tablet computers were ugly, heavy and easily damaged.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
by the way if you really want to get donations and see how it goes you might want to look at http://www.kickstarter.com/ getting funds for projects is what it's for. we tend to be a little cautious about newbies that make accounts and then ask for money here. Though I'm really not sure why!

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011

Solar panels are ugly,heavy,easily damaged. there is a reason this hasn't been done by other company's already. I rather just got with the small rechargeable external battery. if needed a battery pack is cheaper lighter and better imo. sorry pass! oh and I thought we weren't supposed to solicit here. :confused:

Solar panels are actually pretty rigid. They can last for decades on the roof. You can put them on a sailboat and go around the world, literally, without problems. They actually have flexible solar panels too, but I believe they aren't as efficient as rigid ones.

This case is actually a fantastic idea. I've been Google-ing for a long time for something like this. If your going camping, or on a trip, or if you have long days, this is fantastic. It's a constant trickle charge for your iPad.

If I had the $10,000 laying around and more time I would strongly consider funding the entire venture for 49% of the company.

kosolapiy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Riga, Latvia
by the way if you really want to get donations and see how it goes you might want to look at http://www.kickstarter.com/ getting funds for projects is what it's for. we tend to be a little cautious about newbies that make accounts and then ask for money here. Though I'm really not sure why!

Well, would be glad to get funds at kickstarter, but it works only for american residents, witch i'm not. crowdfunder.co.uk - is the same as kickstarter, but it uses paypal, and works for Europe. Since I'm from EU - I only may participate at crowdfunder. But everything else - is totally the same. Link to my crowdfunder profile is in my first post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.