PDA

View Full Version : PowerPC G5 will not boot

robear77
Aug 17, 2011, 04:43 PM
I get the gray screen. So I booted successfully using the Target mode, and ran Disk Utility on the hard drive. Still won't boot. But comes right up in Target mode. Won't come up in Safe mode. Has a new battery. Renewed PRAM. I'm stumped. So my question: what should I do to it using Target mode? Thanks, RB

doctormark77
Aug 17, 2011, 09:21 PM
Do you have any OS or recovery CDs you could try and boot. If it can't even boot those i would suspect ram or logic board.

robear77
Aug 18, 2011, 12:14 AM
It's running Snow Leopard and I have all the discs etc., but it will not open the tray to starting with C held down. The only function seems to be Target function. Otherwise, just the gray screen with the fan becoming increasingly loud. On Target, the disc contents all seem completely normal, and perform normally...Thanks RB

MrCheeto
Aug 18, 2011, 12:15 AM
PowerPC G5 will not boot It's running Snow Leopard

/thread

AdrianK
Aug 18, 2011, 10:13 AM
It's running Snow Leopard and I have all the discs etc., but it will not open the tray to starting with C held down. The only function seems to be Target function. Otherwise, just the gray screen with the fan becoming increasingly loud. On Target, the disc contents all seem completely normal, and perform normally...Thanks RB
There's no Snow Leopard for PowerPC, Apple dropped PPC support after Leopard, hence your machine won't boot. All Leopard discs are PPC and Intel.

robear77
Aug 18, 2011, 11:43 AM
Oops...I meant Leopard. Anyway, how do I get it to open the tray, when I have it in target mode?? thanks, RB

MacSince1990
Aug 18, 2011, 03:21 PM
Oops...I meant Leopard. Anyway, how do I get it to open the tray, when I have it in target mode?? thanks, RB

Well if there isn't an eject button on your keyboard, you might just have to do it manually... open up the machine, turn the DVD-RW sideways, and hit the button while it's running. I've done it.

When you say you're booting in Target Disk Mode... you mean from an external FW drive, right? Not the same drive in FW?

Your drive might be dead.

DiskWarrior may be able to help if your drive's working.

MrCheeto
Aug 19, 2011, 11:31 AM
<.<

The easiest way to open the tray is to hold the Space bar or Mouse button while it's booting...

robear77
Aug 19, 2011, 12:13 PM
That works. I hold down the mouse button while booting and the tray opens. I insert the Leopard CD. I then hold down C while booting and the computer comes up from the CD. So far so good. And I know from Target mode that the disc and contents are OK.
I choose to renew the system. It starts OK, but freezes along the way.
What should I do next?
Thanks, RB

MrCheeto
Aug 19, 2011, 12:16 PM
Sounds like a hard-drive to me... The same thing happened to my MDD G4. Disk Utility said it was most excellent. Turned out, it was really less than excellent =\