Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwc6160

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
I am a Mac newbie (and computer DA) so I apologize if these are stupid questions. Since I upgraded to Lion they obviously added the All My Files folder in Finder. The only thing that shows up are random photos that just say they are Jpeg images, some files that say pkginfo in Simple Format, and a bunch of things called fidir.txt files. When I open up the jpegs, they open in preview not iPhoto, and the other files are gibberish. The jpegs are photos I have taken and are also in iPhoto.

My questions -

Why are these the only files showing up?
If I delete them, what happens?
If I delete the photos, will the same photo in iPhoto delete?
What are these weird fidir.txt and pkginfo files?

Honestly, it isn't a big deal as I don't use the finder much. I don't have a lot of files and go directly to iPhoto or applications or wherever. I am more curious than anything as to why these files show up there and what exactly they are. I guess I assumed that "All my files" meant All my files.

Thanks

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I am a Mac newbie (and computer DA) so I apologize if these are stupid questions. Since I upgraded to Lion they obviously added the All My Files folder in Finder. The only thing that shows up are random photos that just say they are Jpeg images, some files that say pkginfo in Simple Format, and a bunch of things called fidir.txt files. When I open up the jpegs, they open in preview not iPhoto, and the other files are gibberish. The jpegs are photos I have taken and are also in iPhoto.

My questions -

Why are these the only files showing up?
If I delete them, what happens?
If I delete the photos, will the same photo in iPhoto delete?
What are these weird fidir.txt and pkginfo files?

Honestly, it isn't a big deal as I don't use the finder much. I don't have a lot of files and go directly to iPhoto or applications or wherever. I am more curious than anything as to why these files show up there and what exactly they are. I guess I assumed that "All my files" meant All my files.

Thanks
All My Files is just a listing of all your files on the computer. They are grouped for you by categories.
If you delete them, they are deleted.
You can right click on a jpg file and choose get info. Then choose Open with, and pick iPhoto. Click on the Change All button and they will open in iPhoto instead of preview.
Those other files are just your normal files on your system.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-17 at 9.10.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-17 at 9.10.35 PM.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 94

jwc6160

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Thanks

More questions;

Why don't all of my files show up then?
How can I switch it back so when I open up safari it opens at my chosen home screen and not the website I was on last?

Thanks

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

Hmm , all should show up.
System preferences -> General. Uncheck reopen windows when quitting apps. Sorry I can't remember the exact wording, I'm not on my computer.
You can set your home page in Safari preferences.

jwc6160

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Not all

Just those random jpegs and the weird files show up

----------

The only photos are ones that I have imported from my iPhone at one point. I must have saved them somewhere random on accident. None of my iPhoto files or any other applications show up in my all my files.

Is this weird?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Just those random jpegs and the weird files show up

----------

The only photos are ones that I have imported from my iPhone at one point. I must have saved them somewhere random on accident. None of my iPhoto files or any other applications show up in my all my files.

Is this weird?

iPhoto pics I don't think show up since iPhoto stores them in the iPhoto Library. I have pics that are not in iPhoto that show up as well as png files, etc.
PDF files, MS documents, basically everything.
I'm not sure why you don't see everything.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
More questions;

Why don't all of my files show up then?
How can I switch it back so when I open up safari it opens at my chosen home screen and not the website I was on last?

Thanks

They do all show up. Just scroll sideways in each category to see all images on your computer for example.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
They do all show up. Just scroll sideways in each category to see all images on your computer for example.

No they don't; All My Files doesn't show me anything in my documents folder, music folder, and more.

jwc6160

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Yep

No they don't; All My Files doesn't show me anything in my documents folder, music folder, and more.

This is what I see as well. Again, I guess I really don't care and will probably just disable it now that I know you can. I just don't know why everything doesn't show up.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
It seems to be a bit buggy still. Sometimes this "More..." button shows up for me, sometimes it doesn't.

shot.png

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH

This is what I see as well. Again, I guess I really don't care and will probably just disable it now that I know you can. I just don't know why everything doesn't show up.

Strange, I see literally all my files.
I don't see the "more" button tkermit has though.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Couple of thoughts

Does it only show files after one of that type has been opened (ie you wont see a pages section until you open/create a new pages document under Lion)

In a way I can understand it not showing Music/Photos, as these documents are supposed to be accessed via the relevant app

Just been looking at my media files
If I have Movies etc outside the iTunes folder, they show up in all files (I temp store ripped dvds to desktop and these all show), once I have added them to iTunes and removed from desktop they disappear

seems same for music, if its in iTunes folder it doesn't show, stored in a different location, it shows up

Last edited:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I was able to click twice on the "More..." button just now,to show more than 10,000 and then to show more than 20,000, and ended up with a listing of 24,098 items, which seemed rather complete to me. Other times though, "All my files" shows either 9,999 items or even 19,999 items with no option to look for additional files.

That doesn't include my music and photo libraries since I've excluded the hard disk they reside on from Spotlight indexing in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.