PDA

View Full Version : Dead PowerMac G5 (PS, Logic Board, etc?)

dummptyhummpty
Aug 17, 2011, 11:58 PM
I've got a PowerMac G5 DP 2.0ghz (June 2004) that is completely dead. When I connect the power cable the power supply click-clicks, but that's it. At first the power light would briefly light up, but it has stopped doing so. There are no diagnostic lights either. I verified that I'm getting +5vdc across pins 1 and 23 on the power supply and I've replaced the PRAM battery (which was missing). I'm not sure what else to check, could this be a bad power supply, logic board or something else? Thanks!

reddrag0n
Aug 18, 2011, 01:49 PM
My G5 did the same thing, it would click when i plugged the power in, and click when i unplugged it. Nothing would respond, no power button pressing, no pram battery swap, nothing. I found out that the 600W ACBel power supply was bad and swapped it out for a Liteon 600W power supply from a DP 2.5 GHz G5. After that, she would start right up with no issues.

bizzle
Aug 18, 2011, 02:21 PM
Slide the fan out and bang on the top of the power supply and see if it turns on. If it does, something is loose in there. This is worked for me on more than one occasion.

paulie3509
Oct 11, 2011, 12:12 AM
I know this post is a couple of months old now but wondering if anyone found out for definite what the problem is?
I have tested my power supply and it seems to be fine try this link to see how you do this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKQo-leT6HQ
Hope this helps someone.

panteaze
Nov 9, 2013, 09:03 AM
Hello,
Can anyone help me diagnose my power mac g5, dual core 2.7ghz processor. Computer powers on, led lights up, chimes normal, black screen. I replaced the 3.6v battery, and reset the smu, still black screen. Is this a power supply issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nameci
Nov 9, 2013, 10:43 AM
Hello,
Can anyone help me diagnose my power mac g5, dual core 2.7ghz processor. Computer powers on, led lights up, chimes normal, black screen. I replaced the 3.6v battery, and reset the smu, still black screen. Is this a power supply issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You might want to try to replace the gfx card?

havokalien
Nov 9, 2013, 01:09 PM
G5 known issues are bad solder and dead CPUs.

Graveyard
Nov 11, 2013, 12:30 AM
I have two dual cpu G5 machines. Both of them have one of the processors gone bad. I had to run ASD to make sure. Why don't you try and do the same?

OrangeSVTguy
Nov 13, 2013, 10:56 PM
Hello,
Check for leaks in the liquid cooling system.