Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enigma2k

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Hi,

I am using a MBA 2011 (non-clamshell mode) with a Dell 2709w display.
After waking up the MBA from sleep it does not always switch to the external Dell display. (it is about every second time)

In order that the monitor works again, I have to plug the DVI cord out and in or press recognize monitors under monitor settings.

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Odd. Try rebooting or clearing PRAM (hold command-option-P-R while turning machine on and keep holding those 4 keys until you hear the chime twice).

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Odd. Try rebooting or clearing PRAM (hold command-option-P-R while turning machine on and keep holding those 4 keys until you hear the chime twice).

that is odd, let us know if that worked.

Is the MBA the first to be able to reset the PRAM by a keyboard command?

enigma2k

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I just did a PMC and SMC reset but both did not help.

I have also done a complete reinstall with 1.7.0 and it did not help as well, so I guess 1.7.1 isn't the problem

I also did a test with a MBA from a friend (exact same model) and his always works with the external display after sleep while mine only works halftime.

Could this be a hardware defect? sound pretty strange to me, but who knows...

enigma2k

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I have managed to make the Apple Hardware test by just pressing "D" while restarting. The test, however, did not find any error - but this does not surprise me as I think it only tests the ram.

halledise

macrumors 68000
I have managed to make the Apple Hardware test by just pressing "D" while restarting. The test, however, did not find any error - but this does not surprise me as I think it only tests the ram.

aah so that's in the recovery partition - interesting.

did you try running the extended testing?
that gives everything a real good workout - or at least it used to …

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.