PDA

View Full Version : 2011 High end iMac graphics card faulty?

Caretohelpme
Aug 18, 2011, 05:04 AM
Hi everyone,

i'm currently fearing the worst right now.

I have a High end 2011 27" iMac with 3.4 i7 and 2gb 6970m. Has anyone experienced going into games and occasionally having the fps capped at 30 when it ran at 60 prior? (this is with v-sync obviously) which brings me to my next question.

Is everyone who is playing games with a 27" 6970m using v sync? Because the screen tearing on my screen makes it pretty much unplayable. It is so bad. Im fearing I may have a faulty card.

Macman45
Aug 18, 2011, 05:10 AM
Hi everyone,

i'm currently fearing the worst right now.

I have a High end 2011 27" iMac with 3.4 i7 and 2gb 6970m. Has anyone experienced going into games and occasionally having the fps capped at 30 when it ran at 60 prior? (this is with v-sync obviously) which brings me to my next question.

Is everyone who is playing games with a 27" 6970m using v sync? Because the screen tearing on my screen makes it pretty much unplayable. It is so bad. Im fearing I may have a faulty card.

And with the 2gb video ram, you should not be having issues with FPS. It could of course be the game itself....Are you running these games in OSX or Windows in Bootcamp?

macgenius1
Aug 18, 2011, 05:13 AM
Why buy an iMac to play games in the first place...

Caretohelpme2
Aug 18, 2011, 05:31 AM
And with the 2gb video ram, you should not be having issues with FPS. It could of course be the game itself....Are you running these games in OSX or Windows in Bootcamp?

Sorry in my haste I forgot my account details.
To answer your question OSX. And this is the second time it has happened this time with TF2

The real question is why do you come into random threads and make assumptions?

Macman45
Aug 18, 2011, 05:33 AM
Sorry in my haste I forgot my account details.
To answer your question OSX

The real question is why do you come into random threads and make assumptions?

And then try setting a higher frame rate. It may be that the game does not fully support your GPU although I doubt that.

Kairu83
Aug 18, 2011, 07:12 AM

Why not?

I have the high end iMac 27' (3.4 i7 2600, 12GB and 2GB 6970) and most high end games I have been able to play run beautifully on it including Crysis 2. The difference between my machine and my friend's custom PC (3.4 i7 2600K, 12GB RAM and GTX580) is negligible.

So basically I get the best of both worlds with an iMac and saying otherwise means you are about 2 years late on the 'Macs can't play games!' bandwagon. The only real difference at the moment is selection (which with Bootcamp is also negligible) but it is getting better with time.

macgenius1
Aug 18, 2011, 07:22 AM
Why not?

I have the high end iMac 27' (3.4 i7 2600, 12GB and 2GB 6970) and most high end games I have been able to play run beautifully on it including Crysis 2. The difference between my machine and my friend's custom PC (3.4 i7 2600K, 12GB RAM and GTX580) is negligible.

So basically I get the best of both worlds with an iMac and saying otherwise means you are about 2 years late on the 'Macs can't play games!' bandwagon. The only real difference at the moment is selection (which with Bootcamp is also negligible) but it is getting better with time.

Negligible, yeah right. A mobile GPU wont be negligible for long with no upgradability options. Also, any self respecting PC gamer with an i7 2600k will have that overclocked to AT LEAST 4.2 - 4.7+, that's not a negligible difference in speed my friend. Also haven't you heard size of RAM is meaningless, unless your computer uses it all... Plus i bet the temps in your iMac are roasting playing Crysis 2... wonder how long your components will last.... :rolleyes:

Caretohelpme2
Aug 18, 2011, 07:46 AM
Stop derailing the thread, so has anybody else had this problem of occasionally the frames get locked at 30?