PDA

View Full Version : iPad 2 or MBA?

bad1550
Aug 18, 2011, 07:12 AM
I recently purchased a 2011 iMac and need to decide between an iPad 2 which I currently have (10 days left to return) vs purchasing a MBA not sure 11 or 13"?

I love the iPad2 but notice my neck straining from looking down at screen.

Would a MBA be a better alternative and which size to supplement my desktop?

Thx

ChristianJapan
Aug 18, 2011, 07:19 AM
What is you main usage of the iPad ?
Actually I have less shoulder and neckpain using the iPad compared to laptop or desktop. So in relaxmode I preferr iPad for reading, surfing and watching. Easier to hange position while sitting or laying in bed

deeddawg
Aug 18, 2011, 07:20 AM
Would a MBA be a better alternative and which size to supplement my desktop?

Yes it would, if your needs match what the ipad will do.
No it wouldn't, if your needs exceed what the ipad will do.

As you know, the ipad won't replace a computer. Since you've been using it for a while, then ask yourself what you can't do with it that you need to do -- if you have trouble coming up with something then perhaps you should just stick with the ipad.

theSeb
Aug 18, 2011, 07:22 AM
What is you main usage of the iPad ?
Actuall I have less shoulder and neckpain using them iPad compared to laptop or desktop. So in relaxmode I preferr iPad for reading, surfing and watching.

I couldn't agree more. The iPad is much better for general reading and watching if you're just lounging around, but I go back to the MBA when I need to argue on Macrumors . :D

The way I see it is consumption versus production. I keep both in my bag and see them as complimentary devices.

alecgold
Aug 18, 2011, 07:35 AM
I had the same consideration.

If it is just for reading webpages, giving one sentence remarks/replies, youtube, video, go for the iPad 2, hang on the couch, be happy with it. You'll have the iMac for serious work.

If you want to be able to type larger emails, make reports, minutes, excel calculations, you can consider a bluetooth keyboard to go with the iPad, but the weight/wieldyness (is that even a word? well, what ever, I'm foreign :) ) swings to the MBA 11".

I have an iPad 1, mba 11 i7, MBA 13 and a year old MBP 13 with SSD.
I plan to sell the iPad and the MBA13" and keep the MBA 11" and MBP.
The MBP will be in the office permanent as a backup and serving for heavier work like video encoding.
The 11" will be used for every day chores, including hanging on the couch and reading some papers.

I've tested all of them extensively and found the weight, size and performance of the MBA11" really good. The iPad (for me) lacks a file system and keyboard. I know that is not it's function, but I need that.
I now have a package that is lighter than an iPad with wireless keyboard, easier to pack and carry around and I have every function a laptop offers.
As I don't have a large screen, I plan to connect the 11" to a Thunderbolt display, that way giving me plenty of real estate when I'm at the office. Selling the MBA and iPad will fund that 27", I hope.

ChristianJapan
Aug 18, 2011, 07:46 AM
but I go back to the MBA when I need to argue on Macrumors . :D.
No way: MacRumors require the full power of my iMas 27", for all the vegetarian iPad 3 threads :rolleyes:

The way I see it is consumption versus production. I keep both in my bag and see them as complimentary devices.

Agree back to you: just bought a new backpack to have them both together again as they complementing very well each other. Content creation / Development on MBA & iMac; consumption on iPad

bad1550
Aug 18, 2011, 07:47 AM
I use the iPad 2 mainly for emails and browsing the internet.

Just concerned about neck strain of screen and looking down even with ipad 2 case and stand.

Thanks!

Bob

Sounds Good
Aug 18, 2011, 08:25 AM
If it is just for reading webpages, giving one sentence remarks/replies, youtube, video, go for the iPad 2, hang on the couch, be happy with it.

The iPad (for me) lacks a file system and keyboard. I know that is not it's function, but I need that.
I agree 1000%. People often ask me if I "love" my iPad. Truth is, while I like it very much, I can't say that I love it -- and alecgold has pretty much nailed the reasons why.

Alecgold, since you've owned both sizes of MBAs, I'd appreciate your input in my thread here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1212706) (if you wouldn't mind). Thanks!

Nioxic
Aug 18, 2011, 09:13 AM
Of course it would be a better choice

first of all.. they can run the same programs!

2nd: you dont like the looking down with the ipad.. and using it at a table is just weird imo :p

also i just love keyboards... and that touchpad in lion ... <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

stevensr123
Aug 18, 2011, 09:36 AM
Don't know about anyone else but i got the 1st gen and loved it, but after a while i slowly started to use it less and less, till the point that i thought there was no point having it.

I think the main reason for this is because i had the iPhone, and there wasn't any real need for an iPhone, iPad and macbook pro.

I'm getting rid of the iPhone though, and i just got the air, So I'm considering on buying the 1st gen iPad again.

I would say DEFFO go for the air though, you can simply do so much more on this device and it's arguably more future proof.

ZBoater
Aug 18, 2011, 09:38 AM
iPad 2 AND MBA... :cool:

deeddawg
Aug 18, 2011, 10:21 AM
I think the main reason for [using ipad less and less] is because i had the iPhone, and there wasn't any real need for an iPhone, iPad and macbook pro.

It depends a lot on what you need to do.

For example, I need to read/highlight/annotate PDF documents frequently. Doing this on my ipad and PDF Expert is a breeze and the app supports Dropbox sync. Compared to doing the same task on a Macbook Pro, the ipad really shines.

Fernandez21
Aug 18, 2011, 10:42 AM
if what you like about the iPad is the portability, the 11" closest mimics this. I have both, and ever since I got my air, I have barely touched my iPad 2, I've only used it for the some touchscreen apps I need for work to collect signatures. I find the 11" just as comfortable if not more so than the iPad when lounging around. Its slightly larger, but just as portable as the iPad. The only thing I miss with the iPad is the battery life. Not saying the air's isn't good, it last me through the day, but I still have to monitor it to make sure it lasts the day, while the iPad I didn't have to think about it.

If you can only get one, get the air.

ZBoater
Aug 18, 2011, 10:46 AM
The iPad 2 with instant on, 3G and no keyboard still has the MBA beat in terms of portability. When I'm out and about and all I need is web and email, the iPad wins. Period.

bad1550
Aug 18, 2011, 12:24 PM
Just got back from Best Buy to compare MBA models.

I think the 13" works best for me (Touchpad seems larger and easier access)

May make the switch soon! (Just have to come up with more $$)

Thx for all the helpful tips!

Bob

Artmuzz
Aug 18, 2011, 01:18 PM
Both the MBA and iPad 2 are excellent devices but if you rely on flash on websites then the MBA 11inch is the one to go for as iOS doesn't support flash. Also if you rely on Mac and Windows programs the MBA takes that advantage. If you just want a device for sites like Facebook and send emails then the iPad or iPad 2 is one to go for as the touch screen is good to use. I only use my iPad as a sketch pad for making music as there are some excellent music making apps for the iPad on iTunes. For serious music making and serious web browsing I use my MBA 11 inch. Its the best laptop I have ever owned while the iPad is the best touch screen device I have owned.