Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
anyone have any suggestions for a wide angle (as wide as possible) lens to go with my digital rebel? ideally it'd have some zoom, but also don't want it to be too pricey of course.

i had a nice wide lens that i used with my old film cam, and i miss that now with my digital set up... i currently have the 2 lenses that came in the special deal from ritz when the rebel first was out. i'm at work and forget the exact lenses... hah

anyways, looking for suggestions on best/widest lens for a decent price (ideally <$300).... thanks!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
jelloshotsrule said:
anyone have any suggestions for a wide angle (as wide as possible) lens to go with my digital rebel? ideally it'd have some zoom, but also don't want it to be too pricey of course.

i had a nice wide lens that i used with my old film cam, and i miss that now with my digital set up... i currently have the 2 lenses that came in the special deal from ritz when the rebel first was out. i'm at work and forget the exact lenses... hah

anyways, looking for suggestions on best/widest lens for a decent price (ideally <$300).... thanks!

I don't have my Rebel anymore, but if you want REALLY wide shots, you're gonna pay for it.

Sigma 12 - 24 mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM. I use it all the time. Maybe you can find one on EBAY.

Do you have the kit lens?

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
jelloshotsrule said:

not gonna happen

the widest i know of are

10 - 25 by canon
12 - 24 by sigma with a canon mount
or 14 mm by sigma with a canon mount

i don't know the use prices but the two Sigma lenses are 900 and 1200$ respectively

wide angles are expensive ... plus you don't want to buy cheap glass you will get what you pay for <-- i know i did :(

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
haha. well since posting i've done some more thorough looking and have found what you guys said... basically that the wide angle lenses out there are very expensive (at least for my budget). main reason i was hoping it was possible was that i got a wide angle lens a few years ago for my film cam and it was only in the $200 range. ahh, oh well, guess i'll have to wait and save.

i don't have the kit lens, i got the alternative 2 lens set that seemed to be offered in a bunch of places..

based on the chart here it looks like the kit lens has about the widest angle for its price ($100 with camera)... i'll check out ebay, but a little wary from buying there of course. (looks like ebay has that lens for around 600... still too high for me right now)

thanks all! was about to delete this thread realizing it was a dumb question when i saw there were replies. hah

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
If you got the ritz 2-lens sigma package I believe you have a max 28mm wide angle (45mm on the DRebel). I think the package is a 28-80mm and a 70-200mm. You can get a Sigma 18-50mm (29-88mm on the DRebel) for about $120 new, probably cheaper if you find it on eBay. The Canon kit lens (18-55mm) is about $140 (the Canon lens is USM).

If you want to get rid of your current "wide" angle lens, Sigma has an 18-125mm (29-200mm) f/3.5-5.6 for $290. This is close to your $300 budget but will keep your bag light.

Tamron even makes an 18-200mm (29-320mm) f/3.5-6.3 for $400, which would cover a wider range than both of your current lenses.

If you really want WIDE angles (like 10mm), you'll definitely have to pay for it.

Check out http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.