Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enricokael

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Hi everyone,
This is my first post so please bear with me on this one as I don't understand several things from the clean OS X install guide I've just read.

Ok..., I purchased a brand new 2011 MBA, i5 CPU, 4GB RAM, 128 SDD with Lion installed.
I want to format the drive and install a clean MAC OS X on the SSD.

What do I do?
You are mentioning that you need to have a bootable Lion DVD but how do I make one?
You are also mentioning to download the .dmg file from the App Store but this is silly because I bought Mac with Lion? Do I have to pay for it once more?

What do you mean by MAC OS DVD #1 and #2?
So #1 is Leopard and #2 is Lion?
Do I need to install Leopard first and then Lion?

As I understand Lion fits on a single layer DVD so it should be one DVD, right?

Thanks!

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I don't believe the guide is applicable to the 2011 Macbook Air's with Lion.
Have a look at Apple knowledge base article #HT4718

I'm curious though -- what is your need for a clean install? I understand the point on a Windows PC preloaded with tons of cr@pware, but not so much for OSX.

This. Your MBA has a clean install on there already..no extra software. To get iLife, open the App Store and you'll see them appear in your purchased items (they're free for you). In the future to reinstall, hold down Apple+R during boot to go to recovery mode. That will allow you to download a new copy of Lion onto your laptop.

Enricokael

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
This. Your MBA has a clean install on there already..no extra software. To get iLife, open the App Store and you'll see them appear in your purchased items (they're free for you). In the future to reinstall, hold down Apple+R during boot to go to recovery mode. That will allow you to download a new copy of Lion onto your laptop.

OK, I understand now. Thank you!
;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.