PDA

View Full Version : Bad video card?

jmack549
Aug 18, 2011, 12:30 PM
So I have this MBA that I bought from a buddy, he said it had a bad LCD. I ordered a new LCD and still nothing, but it works with an external display. When I boot up I can see very very faint black vertical lines in the background, but that's all I get.

Also, if I take this into an Apple store will they diagnose it and give me a quote, since I worked on it on my own? Wasn't sure what their policy is.

Nioxic
Aug 18, 2011, 12:44 PM
now since you've bought a used air you should give us the date of it. which year / generation?

The newest MBAs got a built in onboard gpu (and i believe its the same story with the ones from 2010 but not sure!) so its not a card itself that can fail (like the cooler etc)

it could be problems with the display...
or the connection between the display and the video output from the motherboard within the laptop.

it could also just be the settings in OSX thats on lowest brightness. but i assume that you already checked that :p

I've sold a used laptop that had periodically black screen (reboot solved it) ... its still in for repairs though, so i don't know what the cause is. but it can easily be a number of things.

most likely though, its faulty display. Since it works with an external monitor...

jmack549
Aug 18, 2011, 12:46 PM
now since you've bought a used air you should give us the date of it. which year / generation?

The newest MBAs got a built in onboard gpu (and i believe its the same story with the ones from 2010 but not sure!) so its not a card itself that can fail (like the cooler etc)

it could be problems with the display...
or the connection between the display and the video output from the motherboard within the laptop.

it could also just be the settings in OSX thats on lowest brightness. but i assume that you already checked that :p

I've sold a used laptop that had periodically black screen (reboot solved it) ... its still in for repairs though, so i don't know what the cause is. but it can easily be a number of things.

most likely though, its faulty display. Since it works with an external monitor...

Sorry, I think it's a 2009 MBA, it's the 1.6. I really don't think it's the display though, it's brand new. Really strange to me, but would Apple look at it after I've worked on it?

Xgm541
Aug 18, 2011, 03:18 PM
Sorry, I think it's a 2009 MBA, it's the 1.6. I really don't think it's the display though, it's brand new. Really strange to me, but would Apple look at it after I've worked on it?

yes but only if you dont tell them

and also only if you didnt leave apparent marks of you opening it.

jmack549
Aug 18, 2011, 03:35 PM
yes but only if you dont tell them

and also only if you didnt leave apparent marks of you opening it.

So they'll refuse to let me pay for a repair just because I opened the computer up? Seems strange.