PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Price Cuts: Free 3GS from Best Buy and $99 iPhone 4 from Telus

MacRumors
Aug 18, 2011, 12:41 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/18/iphone-price-cuts-free-3gs-from-best-buy-and-99-iphone-4-from-telus/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/skitchtelus.jpg

As the iPhone 5 gets closer to release, resellers are starting to offer reduced pricing on older iPhones.

Canadian carrier Telus is offering the iPhone 4 (http://www.telusmobility.com/en/BC/iphone4_16gb/) for CAD$99 with a 3-year plan. The Telus deal runs through September 7.

We are also hearing that Best Buy will be offering (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/08/14/best-buy-launching-something-major-on-august-17-and-22-any-guesses/) the 3GS for free with a 2-year plan on August 22 as part of a larger promotion. Best Buy has done this particular promotion (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/09/best-buy-mobile-to-offer-free-iphone-3gs-on-contract-tomorrow/) in the past, as well.

Article Link: iPhone Price Cuts: Free 3GS from Best Buy and $99 iPhone 4 from Telus (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/18/iphone-price-cuts-free-3gs-from-best-buy-and-99-iphone-4-from-telus/)

goobot
Aug 18, 2011, 12:46 PM
Really sucks for canadians that they have 3 year plans.

andylyon
Aug 18, 2011, 12:47 PM
Wow a 3 year plan, I hate one-year plans, I couldn't imagine being tied in for that long. This doesn't even sound like an eye-catching deal!

mbarriault
Aug 18, 2011, 12:47 PM
Canadian carriers really need to push these deals on 2-year contracts, considering the phones retail for the same price in the US and the contract deals are also the same value, but US has 2-year standard while Canadians do 3 (so we pay 50% more for subsidized phones).

nylonsteel
Aug 18, 2011, 12:48 PM
free ip3gs w/2yr plan - not bad

Rapscallion
Aug 18, 2011, 12:50 PM
3 year plans suck ass. I don't get why we have to be locked in for so long for more money and less services then most us carriers. Greed is all I can say.

unobtainium
Aug 18, 2011, 12:50 PM
The Telus deal runs through September 7.

There's that Sept. 7th date again ;)

Also I agree that Canadian customers really get screwed by the "Big 3" in Canada (Telus, Rogers and Bell). There's very little competition, although new carriers like Wind Mobile have recently arrived. But they don't offer the iPhone and have very limited coverage.

soco
Aug 18, 2011, 12:52 PM
There's that Sept. 7th date again ;)

Also I agree that Canadian customers really get screwed by the "Big 3" in Canada (Telus, Rogers and Bell). There's very little competition, although new carriers like Wind Mobile have recently arrived. But they don't offer the iPhone and have very limited coverage.

Don't you mean Oct. 7th? I think that's the date being thrown around as iPhone 5's potential release.

unobtainium
Aug 18, 2011, 12:54 PM
Don't you mean Oct. 7th? I think that's the date being thrown around as iPhone 5's potential release.

Could be my mistake. I thought there was a rumour that Apple would be hosting a special event on Sept. 7th, but it's easy to get confused with all the multiple rumours floating around. Also I suppose they would've announced it by now if they were going to hold an event that soon.

soco
Aug 18, 2011, 12:57 PM
Could be my mistake. I thought there was a rumour that Apple would be hosting a special event on Sept. 7th, but it's easy to get confused with all the multiple rumours floating around. Also I suppose they would've announced it by now if they were going to hold an event that soon.

Oh okay, no you're right. That, I believe, was the rumored date for their iPod event. I feel like it was squashed though and we're back to not being sure.

Either way, I'm probably going to get my father a 3GS on the 22nd thanks to BB.

jlluna
Aug 18, 2011, 01:01 PM
I really hate to be in a 2 year contract. I could not imagine 3 years. ouch!

dearfriendx
Aug 18, 2011, 01:11 PM
This is one of those instances to say "quit bitching because people have it worse somewhere else" lol. My friends in Canada told me that 3 year plans aren't standard. They've gotten 1, 2, and 3 year plans. Just your choice. Perhaps my friends are idiots though ;)

accessoriesguy
Aug 18, 2011, 01:43 PM
and once the next iPhone is released the 4 will be free like the 3GS :rolleyes:

Nothlit
Aug 18, 2011, 01:44 PM
We are also hearing that Best Buy will be offering (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/08/14/best-buy-launching-something-major-on-august-17-and-22-any-guesses/) the 3GS for free with a 2-year plan on August 22 as part of a larger promotion.

How much would it suck to be stuck with a 3GS until fall 2013? I'm sure Apple will stop supporting it with iOS updates long before then.

Edit: I suppose if the phone was free then it wouldn't hurt quite so much to buy a newer one before the end of the contract. But still, how many people who buy phones free-on-contract are likely to pay extra to upgrade mid-cycle?

globality
Aug 18, 2011, 01:54 PM
I really hate to be in a 2 year contract. I could not imagine 3 years. ouch!
Nobody likes 2 year contract except for carriers, but it is a way to get a big discount on phone price. It's like you buy a car or house. You pay a small down payment and then pay monthly loan for 2 years.

matteman50
Aug 18, 2011, 02:36 PM
Thr.....three years?! My 2.2 year old 3GS barely chugs through the day. My 1.7 year old Edge iPhone that the 3GS replaced had a ton of gray hairs on its last day too. But *three* years stuck with one of these?? Are Canada's telecoms simply bulletproof against market forces and consumer desires?

wordoflife
Aug 18, 2011, 03:43 PM
Really sucks for canadians that they have 3 year plans.

Don't worry, it won't be long before AT&T "streamlines" their contracts to 3 years.

quik
Aug 18, 2011, 03:55 PM
This is one of those instances to say "quit bitching because people have it worse somewhere else" lol. My friends in Canada told me that 3 year plans aren't standard. They've gotten 1, 2, and 3 year plans. Just your choice. Perhaps my friends are idiots though ;)

You can always choose no-contract, 1 year or 2 years if you want. The only difference is the price you pay for the phone. I could pay 700$ upfront for the iPhone 4 without any contract if I wanted.

Undecided
Aug 18, 2011, 04:00 PM
You can always choose no-contract, 1 year or 2 years if you want. The only difference is the price you pay for the phone. I could pay 700$ upfront for the iPhone 4 without any contract if I wanted.

LOL. So here we are lamenting at the woeful state of Canada when in fact they have MORE choice! In the US, we're basically forced to choose unlocked or 2 year contract. They have two more options.

Wang Foolio
Aug 18, 2011, 04:38 PM
Yeah I won't be doing a 3-year term ever again if I can help it... the second half is pretty painful :P 2-year deal should give plenty of time for LTE rollout in more cities up here, and there will be a couple of LTE iPhone models by then (I hope...).

2 year plan on a cheap iPhone 4 or 2 year plan could be tempting, but this new 4S/5 this fall could be tempting as well...

LxHunter
Aug 18, 2011, 04:44 PM
I am with a Canadian carrier.
I pay $50 per month for unlimited Canada/US voice and text.
Will be eligible for a hardware upgrade this December, year 2 of a 3 year contract.

I pay 1/2 the quoted rate for data because the 3G in downtown Toronto is horrible and the carrier agrees with me.

Aug 18, 2011, 04:47 PM
Don't like 2 or more year plans? Stop signing up for them!

Seriously, the only people who can change this outrageous behaviour by carriers is consumers.

Canadians already have 3 year plans. Before we know it, they will be standard across the globe and some plans will last 5 years. You don't even have some personal relationships for that length of time, so why tie yourself to some faceless corporation for that period?

dgree03
Aug 18, 2011, 05:31 PM
But but, Iphones arent sold for discount like android phones are... they are too good for that :rolleyes:

winston1236
Aug 18, 2011, 06:01 PM
5 is coming! wait it out!

earthwindnpyro
Aug 18, 2011, 06:41 PM
Canadian carriers really need to push these deals on 2-year contracts, considering the phones retail for the same price in the US and the contract deals are also the same value, but US has 2-year standard while Canadians do 3 (so we pay 50% more for subsidized phones).

We pay more for the phones too. The 16 gb phone is $10 more from the Canadian Apple Store, and the 32 gb is $30 more. On top of that The Canadian Dollar is stonger than the US Dollar right now too.

Just another tax we have to pay to be Canadian.

----------

I am with a Canadian carrier.
I pay $50 per month for unlimited Canada/US voice and text.
Will be eligible for a hardware upgrade this December, year 2 of a 3 year contract.

I pay 1/2 the quoted rate for data because the 3G in downtown Toronto is horrible and the carrier agrees with me.

Who is your Carrier? Bell, Telus, Rogers?

How much is your data plan?

Are you using an iphone or something else?

wackymacky
Aug 18, 2011, 06:51 PM
free ip3gs w/2yr plan - not bad

Not bad? By the time your 2 year contact expires you'll have a phone that is 5 years old!

You'd put your hand up to pay a two year contract on 3Gs knowing the the next iOS update you do will be the last, God knowing what it will to to the phone's preformance

I can understand that someone might buy one outright, not wanting to be tied to a contract and hence assecpt it's limitations.

I would think that the 3Gs would be dropped with the release of the iP5 and the iP4 will be delegated to the 3Gs' current place

jonnysods
Aug 18, 2011, 07:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5288d)

A good sign that change is in the air.

bushido
Aug 18, 2011, 08:04 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

the iPhone 4 has always been 1 here :P

DeathChill
Aug 18, 2011, 08:53 PM
But but, Iphones arent sold for discount like android phones are... they are too good for that :rolleyes:

They are just clearing out stock to replace with the new models. The difference is that it's to speed up clearing out stock, whereas generally it happens with other devices because they don't sell well any other way.

Sambo110
Aug 18, 2011, 08:56 PM
You have to pay for the phone AND the plan in America? Wow, in Australia you can get any phone for free if you go on a decently priced plan, usually a minimum of $40 or so a month.

magiic
Aug 18, 2011, 09:06 PM
We pay more for the phones too. The 16 gb phone is $10 more from the Canadian Apple Store, and the 32 gb is $30 more. On top of that The Canadian Dollar is stonger than the US Dollar right now too.

Just another tax we have to pay to be Canadian.

----------

Who is your Carrier? Bell, Telus, Rogers?

How much is your data plan?

Are you using an iphone or something else?

I imagine he is with Rogers. I have seen that plan before as a sales agent. It's a retention plan that I imagine requires some real whining to get :o)

bushido
Aug 18, 2011, 09:35 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You have to pay for the phone AND the plan in America? Wow, in Australia you can get any phone for free if you go on a decently priced plan, usually a minimum of $40 or so a month.

believe it or not they also have to pay for incoming calls and text :-0

Mrschmoo
Aug 18, 2011, 11:18 PM
Telus Has A Program Where You Can Upgrade Your Device At Any Time During Your 3 Year Contract. You Just Have To Pay The Rest Of The Device.

cyks
Aug 18, 2011, 11:39 PM
Sure, you get a "free" iPhone 4, but it's already over a year old. How well will it be working toward the end of that 3 year contract when it's 4+ year old technology?

Sambo110
Aug 18, 2011, 11:46 PM

believe it or not they also have to pay for incoming calls and text :-0

...that is completely ridiculous. Do you have to pay for calls and texts to other people?

Jibbajabba
Aug 19, 2011, 01:54 AM

Just another tax we have to pay to be Canadian

Better than the British one ;) We sometimes pay $= :(

bojan1987
Aug 19, 2011, 02:20 AM
I think apple rushes the iPhones. i think that the upgrade from 3gs to 4 is huge yes, but with iOS 5 coming out what is new that can possibly make me want to go from 4 to 5, 1080p 64 gig? nah i don't need it i might as well wait till 6 since the update is 100 percent compatible and supportive of the iPhone 4.

RickyB
Aug 19, 2011, 04:26 AM
Better than the British one ;) We sometimes pay $= :(

Not on iPhones, though. The UK prices on contract are much better than the U.S. you could get an iPhone 3Gs free for about 21/month recently. iPhone 4 is free for 40/month from some carriers.

bushido
Aug 19, 2011, 08:26 AM
...that is completely ridiculous. Do you have to pay for calls and texts to other people?

i'm in germany, i pay 49 and can call any home line and to t-mobile (my provider) for free and 120 mins in other networks (which i never use up) and got a text flat and a data flat which gets slowed down after 1 GB (but i never reach that either)

Sambo110
Aug 19, 2011, 08:29 PM
i'm in germany, i pay 49 and can call any home line and to t-mobile (my provider) for free and 120 mins in other networks (which i never use up) and got a text flat and a data flat which gets slowed down after 1 GB (but i never reach that either)

In Australia I pay $7, and get $240 or so of calls and texts (more than enough for me, 25c a text and 40c or so a minute of calls), $250 to people on my network, 200 megs of internet and unlimited social networking. If I paid $15 a month I would have more than double that. Is Australia actually better for mobiles than America? :O