Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Is it possible or will it be possible to have dual external displays on any of the Apple laptops?

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I believe the MBA only supports a single external display. Not sure if this is a limitation of the Intel graphics or the TB chip used in the MBA.

Edit - http://www.anandtech.com/show/4542/eagle-ridge-the-cheaper-optionally-smaller-thunderbolt-controller

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I believe the MBA only supports a single external display. Not sure if this is a limitation of the Intel graphics or the TB chip used in the MBA.

Edit - http://www.anandtech.com/show/4542/eagle-ridge-the-cheaper-optionally-smaller-thunderbolt-controller

Thanks I guess that means no for MBA at present anyhow.

EthanMiller

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
I'm using an external on my Air right now - it works fine. It's only a 19" that I had sitting around, so not the hardest to drive, but it works fine. I know others run the 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display on it without problems either. You just need the appropriate Thunderbolt or MiniDisplayPort to VGA/DVI/HDMI/Whatever adapter.

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
I'm using an external on my Air right now - it works fine. It's only a 19" that I had sitting around, so not the hardest to drive, but it works fine. I know others run the 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display on it without problems either. You just need the appropriate Thunderbolt or MiniDisplayPort to VGA/DVI/HDMI/Whatever adapter.

Yes the problem is running two though.

Chipg

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
Yes the problem is running two though.

Is the Matrox product BS? I dunno, I have heard good things about it for running two monitors from 1 air...

I do not own it but am thinking about buying it, any threads here about it? The video looked great.

Thanks!

Chip

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Is the Matrox product BS? I dunno, I have heard good things about it for running two monitors from 1 air...

I do not own it but am thinking about buying it, any threads here about it? The video looked great.

Thanks!

Chip

It should work, but i guess it also depends on the resolution of both displays, there's even one for 3 external displays.

He could also use one of those usb to vga/dvi things

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
There are USB to DVI/VGA adapters that you can use with your MBA so that you can have another external monitor, aside from the one connected to the DisplayPort. I use one from Kensington, and it works well, but there are other manufacturers. These devices use DisplayLink technology. However, the Lion drivers from DisplayLink are in Beta and have some issues. If you're using Snow Leopard, there are no problems with it.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Matrox Dualhead2Go or TripleHead2Go.

It works fine. Daisy chaining using TB is what doesn't work because the MBA only has the single channel TB chip so it can only send 1 video signal.

The Matrox expects 1 video signal and it converts from there to your multiple monitors.

The Matrox solution is also better than a USB external GPU because it uses your DP/DVI bandwidth which is much greater than USB and uses your internal GPU and its fast VRAM (system memory in the case of the MBA) rather than having to copy stuff over the PCI and USB buses to read the framebuffer.

With the Matrox solution, you can power 2 monitors at 1920x1200 resolution easily or 3 monitors at 1920x1080 (this one at 50hz only, which is bad!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.