Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ace.of.Trades

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Hi, everyone,

I'm using FCP 7.

I have a Sony HDR-CX550 Handycam. It comes with a USB cable. I filmed footage in HD FH, which it says is 1920x1080.

I used Log and Transfer to bring in clips to my project, but after I exported a test in Apple ProRes 422, the quality looks awful, especially in full screen. I then tried exporting in Apple ProRes 1920x1080 60i, and the image quality was nicer, but whenever my subjects moved, they got segmented into these lines. So, it also looks awful.

I've heard of using MPEG Streamclip to decompress video clips, but it doesn't seem to recognize the .MTS files that are in the camcorder.

What settings should I be sure to use in FCP to preserve the image quality? Should I change the Audio/Visual settings? How do I make sure to capture the full quality? What settings to I use for export to preserve the visual quality?

Thanks so much!

P.S. This video will be posted on a professional website, so I don't know if I need to do something extra for web optimization.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
I then tried exporting in Apple ProRes 1920x1080 60i, and the image quality was nicer, but whenever my subjects moved, they got segmented into these lines.
60i is meant to be watched on CRT monitors. You have to deinterlace your footage.

Ace.of.Trades

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Thanks, cgbier. I've used MPEG Streamclip to deinterlace before, but it won't cooperate this time. Any other tips on deinterlacing the clips?

I'm assuming the files are, indeed, the .MTS files. I do see a ton of other files that aren't openable on Macs. Their icon is that blackish box with the green tinge.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
You let FCP/Compressor do that during export, or you can add the deinterlace filter during editing.

If you don't plan to distribute your work on DVD or have a lot of slow motion, don't shoot in 60i, but rather 30p.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Final Cut Pro has a deinterlace filter you can slap on your clips, or if you use Compressor, it has a much better deinterlacer to use once you export the final cut.

Ace.of.Trades

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Thanks, guys. I'll try the video filter and Compressor. I've used video filters, but I've never used Compressor before––I put the .mov file through Compressor after it's exported?

Any tips on what export settings to use?

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
You just right-click on your sequence and select "send to --> Compressor"

Settings: h.264 @ 5000 kbps.

kev6677

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
5000 kbs... pure trash that is not HD quality hence the pixelated video, by the way pixelation is not an interlacing problem but most likely a bitrate one. Imovie does not and probally never will produce true HD quality videos Apple refuses to support the HD standards or wants you to spend thousands in new software. Good luck.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
kev6677, read the original post. He's using FCP and wants to post his video on a website...

You mix up compression artifacts with pixelation - two completely different things.
What you call "HD standards" are delivery formats, hardly suitable for editing beyond a few cuts and adding transitions. Apple has been refusing to allow for "native" editing with a reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.