PDA

View Full Version : What do you use your Mac Pro for?

Yumunum
Aug 18, 2011, 11:16 PM
What do you do that made you choose a MP? Pretty simple question. I'd love to hear all your answers!

pdechavez
Aug 18, 2011, 11:21 PM
I use mine as a server for EVERY media from my music collection, movies and pictures to gaming to photography. Love them expansion capabilities :)

derbothaus
Aug 18, 2011, 11:27 PM
Nerve center of my home.

fr4c
Aug 18, 2011, 11:34 PM
It holds a digital footprint of my life.

Snowguy
Aug 18, 2011, 11:59 PM
When I get my Mac Pro some time in the near future, it will do what my iMac has done, but more efficiently.

I love gaming, so I will have bootcamp on there with Windows 7 for that (though Mac gaming options are improving). It's really the only good mac for gaming since gaming requires upgradeability. I don't like calling myself an avid gamer, but I spend a good deal of time playing them. I just don't really enjoy first person shooters and war games, like, at all. I'm more of a Sims 3/SimCity/Civ IV/V guy.

It will also serve as a media hub for my terabytes of music/movies/TV shows.

I recently purchased a 32" HDTV so I'll probably get the AppleTV as well.

Basically, it will be the nerve center of my home.

InuNacho
Aug 19, 2011, 01:26 AM
Add me to the future Pro list.
I went from a PowerMac G4 to a Macbook and really missed the multiple hardrives, expandability, and the whole tower experience.
I plan on using the Pro to:
* Play games without the graphics turned down, I mean my Macbook struggles with medium settings on Unreal 2004!
* Utilize the nice internal storage capabilities to digitize the entire family's extensive VHS home video library. Currently copying stuff to my external Firewire drives really bogs everything.
* Do some hobby level FCP7 and Photoshopping.
* Server for the laptops in the house.
* Run Parallels without slowing everything down
* Essentially do everything that would turn my Macbook into a black plastic stove.

I had looked at the iMac but don't really like glossy yellow screens or turning it into an octopus of daisychained external storage like my book. I'd also be a bit paranoid about leaving it on 24/7 and find smoke coming out of the vents or something like that.

Whenever the 2011s are released and the 2010s make a mass exodus to the refurb store, I'll snag the base quad and do the hex upgrade on it.

DisMyMac
Aug 19, 2011, 01:30 AM
I want an iMac without the screen. Minis come close, but I'd rather get something more powerful.

Honbe
Aug 19, 2011, 02:12 AM
Everyday use, Lightroom, CS5, genetic algorithm modeling for financial markets.

fabriciom
Aug 19, 2011, 02:29 AM
There is a thread JUST like this here...

theSeb
Aug 19, 2011, 03:03 AM
Watching funny cats on youtube

reebzor
Aug 19, 2011, 07:01 AM
reddit

chrono1081
Aug 19, 2011, 07:25 AM
Pr0n

Actually I use it for game development and for my hobbies. The programs I use are:

Maya
ZBrush
After Effects
Photoshop
Sculptris
Unity 3D
XCode
VMWare Fusion
Aperture
Sometimes Lightroom for old libraries
Corel Painter
iWork
Sketchbook Pro
Smoke
Illustrator
Handbrake
iTunes
Safari
Adium
Pixelmator
TerraRay
and who knows what else, the above though I use on a regular basis and most every day.

I adore my Mac Pro and am much more productive with it since I switch to Mac 3.5 years ago.

Rustus Maximus
Aug 19, 2011, 07:30 AM
Planning global conquest.

Oh, and that funny cats thing theSeb mentioned...love those fuzzy little guys!

apeden
Aug 19, 2011, 08:09 AM
I use it for personal use and I use FCP to edit my short films in college.

The Cat Empire
Aug 19, 2011, 08:41 AM
Surfing the Web...
Playing Angry Birds
iTunes

That sort of thing....

Actually, I'm a professional photographer and I mix music for my band in Logic Pro. I also develop video games (when I'm not editing my major motion picture). But, at the end of the day, it's just a web server for all of my websites and I usually have some 3D rendering going in the background to keep all 8 Cores busy.

What else would I do with it?

GermanyChris
Aug 19, 2011, 09:14 AM
umm well everything really..

Chupa Chupa
Aug 19, 2011, 10:43 AM
If you are wondering why I have a MP it's mostly b/c I need my main computer to be as reliable, user repairable, and upgradable as possible in addition to raw speed.

I could do fine w/ a high end iMac but I'll never buy one as long as it's a PITA to access the hard drive. I also don't like the fact that if the monitor goes I have to take the entire machine in for repair, and also repair might not be cost effective.

I could get away with a/ a high end MBP but you why pay a dear premium for portability you might not need and get less bang for the buck, especially in the video card area. Plus 2.5" drive capacity is much more limited.

That said, I do own other Macs for other purpose. I love my 13" MBP, but I don't let it to any "heavy lifting." I also have a MacMini (old Dual 2 Core version) that is central to my whole home media system.

JeepGuy
Aug 19, 2011, 11:10 AM
windows 7 x64, runs better than any windows box I have ever had. My primary software is Autodesk Revit suite.

t0rr3s
Aug 19, 2011, 05:27 PM
Mostly editing with FCP, Motion, Compressor, Lightroom and Photoshop. At times I do CAD projects on Autocad and some modelling with SketchupPro. Garageband for basic track creation. Bootcamp XP Pro for gaming. Works a treat.

scottjua
Aug 19, 2011, 06:06 PM
Wedding Photography.... lots and lots of photos:

http://www.scottandtemphotography.com

scottsjack
Aug 19, 2011, 06:33 PM
Simply wanted the best (from back in the Snow Leopard days when Mac OS was the best);

Photoshop CS5.
Aperture 3.
Big iTunes collection, mostly Apple lossless from my CD collection.
Ripit for DVD rips (I like BR-DVD combo packs).
MakeMKV for excellent BR rips for OSX or Windows play.
VLC to play MKV video and may new love, FLAC.
EyeTV Hybrid for watching Clear QAM TV and DVR.
MS Office for Mac 2011 for email, calendar and contacts.
iPhoto for showing photos to family and friends.

Has five internal WD RE4 2TB drives, CCC for non-boot drive backup to WD Caviar Black 2TB drives in OWC boxes, boot drive backs up to Time Capsule.

Windows 7 for Quicken, MS Office.
Windows 7 for CS6 next summer if OS X continues to deteriorate.
Windows 7 for direct Blu-ray playback.

The Mac Pro has been a spectacular machine to own.

temetrepo
Aug 19, 2011, 06:39 PM
music making. and internet surfing. break, youtube, r*dtube, pr0ntube and any other site that ends in tube.com.:cool::D

lemonade-maker
Aug 19, 2011, 11:04 PM
I use it to really annoy people. I mean seriously annoy them.

Yumunum
Aug 19, 2011, 11:05 PM
I use it to really annoy people. I mean seriously annoy them.

How so? I was thinking of getting one for this purpose too

Nostromo
Aug 20, 2011, 01:36 AM
I was on the verge of getting an MBP, but decided to wait for the new Mac Pro.

Will get an SSD as a boot drive.

Will be used for: Photoshop, Maya (will be switching from Blender to Maya), Capture One, not sure if I'll stay with Final Cut Pro or will go for Adobe Production Premium CS 6 or FCP X (once it's out, until then: Final Cut Pro 6).

Chris Tilton
Aug 21, 2011, 06:39 PM
For my main Mac Pro, I use for just writing and recording music with Pro Tools. That's pretty much it. I also have a 2nd Mac Pro that I use for Windows 7. There's still some software that's only for Windows that I like, plus I like using Steam to play the occasional PC game on it. Apple makes the most reliable Windows machines in my opinion!

The Cat Empire
Aug 21, 2011, 11:52 PM
Oh I forgot something.

Sometimes I use it as a night-light. I'm not joking.

t0rr3s
Aug 22, 2011, 12:44 AM
Oh I forgot something.

Sometimes I use it as a night-light. I'm not joking.

More cents than sense? :D

Zwhaler
Aug 22, 2011, 01:09 AM
Final Cut Pro X, Compressor 4, BIONIC Manager (Einstein@Home Distributed Computing), Google Earth, and the normal apps like Safari and iTunes, etc.

odinsride
Aug 22, 2011, 10:32 AM
It's pretty much my main system, so I do everything on it:

Web surfing
iTunes
Gaming
Aperture 3
Development (lots of VMs running concurrently)

chrismacguy
Aug 22, 2011, 12:13 PM
Lets See...:

XCode
Maya
3ds Max
Final Cut Pro
Shake
Logic Pro
Soundtrack Pro
Motion
After Effects
Photoshop
DaVinci Resolve
Other general Software and Graphics Development tasks
Oh, and ofc iTunes, Safari, Mail and iChat.

Tutor
Aug 22, 2011, 02:03 PM
Clean up

Steelgrave
Aug 22, 2011, 02:23 PM
I bought mine mainly to just consolidate from multiple physical machines into a few VM's:

Win 7 x64
Win 2008 r2
CentoS 6.0
Ubuntu 11.04

It's awfully nice only having one machine instead of the 4 I was using.

rhett7660
Aug 22, 2011, 02:47 PM
Photoshop (Web photo etc)
Illustrator
InDesign (layouts and comic books)
Comic Life 2 (One of my favorite little programs for creating great little comic books of our little adventures and then shoot them out to friends and family and to our iPads for reading!)
Web development with Netbeans and running vmware with windows xp for MS Web development
iTunes
Ripping music
Ripping DVD's
Learning Linux (Ubunto via vm ware)
PDF Creation
Heck just about everything I do....

The-Pro
Aug 22, 2011, 02:50 PM
My 8 core is used for hardcore 3D rendering. The program relies on the CPU and not on the GPU. All 16 threads are used 100% during renderings. Without this machine my renderings would take days to finish.
My quad core is used for illustrator, photoshop design work. And also bases as a server for security cameras, and file server for the rest of the computers in my studio.
Best thing about the mac pros: dem expansion capabilities :D its great to run several terabytes and have no cables lying around :)

ashman70
Aug 22, 2011, 02:50 PM
I use my first gen MP for everything, surfing, email, Lightroom, managing my digital music and video collection, Parallels for when I need windows for something the Mac can't do, games, and everything else I failed to mention.

getz76
Aug 22, 2011, 02:53 PM
Applications
Pro Tools 9.0.5b
Propellerheads Reason 5 and Record 1.5
Final Cut
Photoshop
Illustrator
Dreamweaver
Roxio's Tivo Connect
RipIt
Handbrake

Propellerhead's is releasing Reason 6 in a month, and it has gone 64-bit. Should be interesting to see how it performs.

Pro Tools 9.0.5b is working on Lion for me right now. I have not loaded third-party plug-ins yet, though.

GoKyu
Aug 22, 2011, 03:00 PM
If you are wondering why I have a MP it's mostly b/c I need my main computer to be as reliable, user repairable, and upgradable as possible in addition to raw speed.

I could do fine w/ a high end iMac but I'll never buy one as long as it's a PITA to access the hard drive. I also don't like the fact that if the monitor goes I have to take the entire machine in for repair, and also repair might not be cost effective.

Ha, I thought I was the only one who bought it for exactly these reasons...

It may cost a lot, but it has peace of mind written all over it. I've had my MP now for over 3.5 years, and it's STILL the "PC" I always wished I had.

Silent
Able to multitask like a fiend (whether encoding 10 movies or converting 100 songs at once, it just doesn't slow down and more importantly doesn't slow ME down)
Streaming music and videos to my iPad from wherever I am
Photoshop
Web surfing
All the day to day stuff...

And usually all of this going on at the same time - I keep at least 10-15 programs running on the MP at any given time, 24/7.

8 core BEAST :D