Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenu007

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
iMac (24-inch Early 2008).
3.06 GHz Intel Core Due
4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 (11B2118)

Ever since I upgraded to Lion, I've had apps freeze, system freezes, 5 min hangs on login, system crashes after login, freezes on shut down/restart attempts, etc., essentially rendering my iMac unsuable. I've done 4 reinstalls now, including a complete erase and reinstall at the Genius Bar, reset the PRAM, permissions repairs (hardware checks out fine), etc. The best results have been about 5 hours good functioning after the erase and reinstall, and then everything got corrupted again and I'm back to square one. Oh, and this is after phone support with Applecare and one trip to the Genius Bar, in case you were wondering-- I'm headed back to the Genius Bar again tomorrow, and my secret hope is that they can downgrade me back to Snow Leopard, but from what I'm reading here it appears I'm screwed.

Either Lion is a lemon and not ready for prime time, or this is Apple's version of planned obsolescence: releasing software that cripples perfectly good hardware. I haven't had OS upgrade problems like this since my PC days and Windows 95. :mad: It makes me wonder if with all of Apple's success, quality is taking a big hit. If Apple has peaked and is headed downhill to be the next Microsoft, who will be the next Apple? I'm ready to switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.