Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

racketeer71

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
I'd just love to see some games that are not:

1) Button-smashing arcade-like crap*
2) FPS
3) Hidden object
4) Time management
5) Another run-of-the-mill puzzle

The selection of games for OS X is still crap. Whenever I feel like gaming, I spend the better part of the evening browsing the net, searching for old pre-2005 Windows-based games that can played without too much hassle in either a Fusion VM or via CrossOver Games.

Apparently I'm the only OS X user out there, that enjoys business simulation/tycoon games (With Lion I presume RT3 doesn't work anymore - but where's the Anno series on OS X? Patrician?) or strategy games (it's already established that Civ5 OS X edition is crap, and suggesting one to play CivIV is laughable, since it suggest that no strategy game worth playing have been released for Mac since 2006.). Total War: Rome? Been there, done that.

I'm currently playing Industry Giant 2 (in a W7 VM in Fusion on a 2011 MBA 13", which apparently also seems to be able to run Port Royale 2, amazing).

So yeah, gaming on Macs are really moving ahead at the moment. Not because of the games offered, but because the hardware have improved so much, that it's possible to play post-2000 Windows games in emulation nowadays...

* I loooove the classic arcade games, just not the crappy knock-offs that are pumped out by the dozen nowadays

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
It is pretty great seeing more games. Maybe one day, when I ask people why they like PCs over Macs, they won't be able to say "because it has more games"

On a side note though.. A lot of the "new" games seem to be ports... But maybe now NEW new games will be added to the MAS immediately. Who knows!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
That's True

It is pretty great seeing more games. Maybe one day, when I ask people why they like PCs over Macs, they won't be able to say "because it has more games"

On a side note though.. A lot of the "new" games seem to be ports... But maybe now NEW new games will be added to the MAS immediately. Who knows!

I was looking at what's there, and they are ports of old stuff. The iPad has great stuff though, I was lucky enough to grab a free copy of Rage yesterday, great graphics and gameplay, but same old plot really.

Whatvwas the name of the space trading strategy game all those years ago? You had to trade stuff, bargain for upgrades etc......Star something.

That would be great.....it ran on a 386 so a lion version wouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully new titles will start to appear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.