Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Can you make garageband pick up from the input jack only?

I just got this new acoustic electric (Martin DC-16RGTE) and I got a audio input converter so I could play directly into the computer.

The thing is, Garageband only seems to want to pick up the mic built into the eMac. Is there a way to switch the mic off and only have input from the input jack?

Also, would I be able to use my computer speakers as "amps" using Garageband effects and all that? That would be aweseome but I doubt it's possible.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I figured out how to turn off the mic and turn on the audio in just by looking around in system prefs. But doesn anyone know about using the computer as an amp? Like can I play into it and have it give me sound right back?

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
when you add a real instrument track you need to turn on the monitor to get audio feedback. I think that's what you're looking for?

604macguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2005
Vancouver
johnbro23 said:
I figured out how to turn off the mic and turn on the audio in just by looking around in system prefs. But doesn anyone know about using the computer as an amp? Like can I play into it and have it give me sound right back?

In system prefs, change your audio input to line-in to used the line-in port of your emac. The output should be just the same using speakers.

And as posted above, create a real instrument track turn on monitor to listen to it live. Also in Garageband preferences, you can change the input settings there as well.

I'm assuming you have the following.

You need to get yourself a 1/4" to mini stereo converter from radioshack to convert your guitar cable into the smaller plug to plug into the line-in port of your computer. Or set yourself the Griffin grarageband cable:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/garageband_cables/

Either will work, but the converter will be much cheaper.

Then in systemprefs change your input to line-in and output to regular speakers. Instant amp. I've done that and it works pretty good. Plug your stereo into the headfone/audio out jack with an RCA to miniplug cable and you've got yourself a pretty loud amp that sounds pretty good.

The best would be to get yourself one of those M-Audio USB audio devices. That way the sound gets' converted by a dedicated sound converter to digital signal through usb instead of your sound card and you'll get better sound.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.