Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Weekly Photo Contest (19 Aug - 27 Aug) Topic - Expression(s)

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Topic: Expression(s)

Last contest was my first win but due to a complication a few months back I was able to pick the contest and I chose the same topic that seemed to be quite popular. Since a few months have passed I thought everyone might have some new photo's in this topic.

Being about expression the emphasis isn't so much on composition but emotion with the character.

Below are some examples of photo's that I have taken that aren't necessarily great but I like the expression in them.

4836117228_db2422a377.jpg

4961803664_e0e8d87969.jpg

5831802817_5e9a3d62d9.jpg

Last edited:

Juanbond

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
We have a tradition in our house where our kids get their own birthday cake when they turn one. My son, Charlie, had the time of his life eating his cake.

6063302277_7e582b4b5a_b.jpg

loverumors

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
My son is very serious about his(mine) iPad.

Attachments

• Touch-DSCF1088-Edit.jpg
    Touch-DSCF1088-Edit.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 660

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Hey guys, Just realised that I will be in a car all thursday and a boat all saturday so I will close the contest on Saturday night (the 27th). Hope that's ok with everyone!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Last chance for me to bump the thread before I close it and judge on saturday so get your entries in!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Hey guys I will close the contest at 1pm GMT (roughly 2 hours from now) and then have the results up shortly after so get in any last minute photos!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Hi guys, sorry for the day delay but here are the results:

Nice shot. A great little face. Would have maybe been nice if the expression was more at the camera. As added interest it might have been interesting if we saw the expression of the person behind.

Gazing into the distance, I often find myself doing this just wondering about what will happen next. I don't know what lens you were using but I personally would have gone for a slightly shallow depth of field as the background is a bit distracting for me. I like the colours in the warm highlights and cool shadows. I wouldn't know unless I tried it out but since she is looking off to the (camera) left maybe she should be framed over to the right instead of central?

Here's a funny one:

103313878_yzmWb-L.jpg

Great picture. I really expected every picture to be human! I love the expression and it really makes me want to figure out what he is thinking. I do wonder if the highlights are blown on the top of the beak though? Photo seems to have a reddish tint to it as well which isn't quite to my taste.

Really nice. Getting the expression without the person realising is always the best! However, I can't quite figure out if she is yawning or gawping at something she has just read. Would have been a bit nicer if the second person were slightly more in focus. Could make the shot a bit warmer in post?

We have a tradition in our house where our kids get their own birthday cake when they turn one. My son, Charlie, had the time of his life eating his cake.

Brilliant shot. Love the expression and clarity, the colour of the cake is great as well and has actually made me a bit peckish! I like the fact that the other hand is in the picture but fortunately out of focus. Could do with just a bit more of the hand on the right and the hair at the top. Apart from that a great expression and great photo! I like the way the whole head is in focus as well would like to know the EXIF and camera?

Nice shot. A feeling of excitement perhaps? Would be nice to know what has prompted her face. The sun looks quite high in the sky (midday/early afternoon?) and it's lucky that the highlights on the hair are not blown out. If the light was lower there may have been some nice shadows on the face which would have added to the shot but ofcourse you can't recreate expressions like this! It feels a little high in the framing. Maybe cropping the photo to bring her higher to the top third would work?

Disgusted - It was candid, not posed.

Make a Face by Gerg1967, on Flickr

Really nice. I love kids that make this face and it's one that as you get older you just don't see so much of! Love the separation from the background? Would like to know what lens was used? (Feels to me like a 70-200esque lens). I also like the soft light on the face which is nice considering that there is some hard sunlight in the background. Great framing as well for getting everything in and having some leeway above the head so as to not feel so squashed!

My son is very serious about his(mine) iPad.
attachment.php

Another lovely shot. B&W is probably a good choice for this image as I can imagine that the light maybe quite yellow? I would like to see the colour version if possible. A great expression one of extreme concentration and he seems completely detached from what is around him which makes it a perfect photo opportunity. It's really nice getting the light off the ipad on his face and the light on the back of his hoody.

Nice to get two expressions in the same shot. Could do with a bit more focus to ensure that the guy in the backgrounds face is sharp. I can see a flash is used and it would have been a bit nicer if there was a bit more of a balance between the background light. You haven't shared your exif data but I wonder if you could maybe lower the aperture or slow the shutter speed so to get a bit more light in the background.

A lovely expression but I feel the selective colouring is unnecessary as it attracts me straight to his googles when I should really be looking at his eyes and expression in general. I don't know quite what your motivation was for the selective colour but I think it would have been nice in pure B&W or just colour. The blue is also still visible in the highlights on the reflection of the flooring which is slightly distracting.

Lovely, in her own little world! Would have been nice to have the top of the slide in the frame just so the circle isn't interrupted. Great blue of the eyes helps draw you into the centre however, and the green of the top and the hair clip is a nice touch although not intentional!

6078213089_9ce2f4d6f7_b.jpg

ISO 400, 65mm, 0 ev, f/5, 1/60

A great expression and nice to get a side on of them. I am a bit confused as to what the background is though as it almost looks like the background has been cut out in photoshop (apologies if not). I think because there isn't something in the background it feels a bit flat and I think you have fired the flash which has reduced the shadows also adding to the flatness. Great faces from both subjects though!

Great little face. Initial thoughts is a pity a flash was used however, upon closer inspection I realise that it is actually the reflection of your white shirt! Overall the shot feels quite bright and I realise how difficult it can be to get the exposure right on the face without blowing out the highlights. Really nice focus although I would have maybe stopped down to maybe f2.8 to try and get the front of the hair in focus. I'm not 100% sure what her expression is though.

6000254451_a82fe4899f_z.jpg

My 3 days old baby Yogurt

Congratulations! And what a great picture to show on the 18th birthday! An absolutely brilliant smile and I commend you on getting the image when at that age all the children I've seen are asleep! Nicely framed as well. To perfect the image I would have tried to get the thumb out of the frame and maybe made it a tad brighter?

Great faces and lovely soft light with the occasional dapple of sunlight! What was the colour version light as I can imagine the sunlight may have looked quite nice? Great to have the focus on the little girls face but it would also be nice to have the focus on the woman behind as for me her expression is just as important.

Thanks for all your input and I hope you enjoyed the topic. Please take all of my comments with a pinch of salt. I am only a student and don't feel qualified to really know what I'm saying!

At the top it was a very close battle for these top three and it could have really been a number of people. However, a decision has to be made.

3rd: Keleko, love the expression and I hope to get a similar lens so I can grab some pictures just like this! It's great that the expression is made looking straight at the camera without actually making it for the camera!

5988967279_d8277864e0_b.jpg

2nd: Loverumors, I would suggest everyone to click on the attachment and view full size as the small thumbnail doesn't do it justice! Could you maybe post the colour version? (I am just interested to see the colour of the light surrounding him as it is a great B&W!)

attachment.php

1st: Juanbond, great expression and the sort of photo that will be a good one to embarrass him when he brings over his first girlfriend! My dad has plenty of these of me and they are great to look back on! Well done!

So now it's over to Juanbond for the next contest! I look forward to entering, I've missed it this week!

Last edited:

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Juanbond - congratulations. It reminded me of several I have of my son.

Some really great photos this week and great judging.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Great job with the judging. I'm glad to see others judges using the quoted images, too. It is so nice to read the judgement post that way.

There were indeed a lot of great shots in this contest. I'm honored to be among those who placed.

You're gonna laugh about my lens... I was using the nifty fifty - Canon 50mm f/1.8 II set to f/2.8.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Congrats Juanbond!

Great job with the judging. I'm glad to see others judges using the quoted images, too. It is so nice to read the judgement post that way.

Yeah! Another thing, can future judges put another thumbnail by the winners? It's something small, but seems like it would be even nicer

Juanbond

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
I was surprised to see that I was the winner this week. There were some great pictures and I had lots of fun looking at them during the week. They say a picture is worth 1,000 words and this theme confirms that.

I have put up a new contest here.

When I do the judging next week I will try and include thumbnails of the winners--I think that was a great recommendation. There is a tutorial floating around in the forums somewhere about how to do thumbnails, but I can't find it. Does anyone know where that is?

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.