PDA

View Full Version : Any way to fix this photo?

SB123
Aug 19, 2011, 04:08 PM
I got to the field just as my son was up and I snapped a quick pic. Only then did I realize the settings were off. Is there anyway to improve the photo? I have little experience with Photoshop, but can learn if someone points me in the right direction. Or should I just delete it???

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6073/6060312168_4224374ce5_b.jpg

cdustybk
Aug 19, 2011, 04:11 PM
Just to be on the safe side, do you mind if I download it to see what I can do?
I use GIMP, which is similar to Photoshop, so my instructions may be slightly different, but would have the same concept...

cdustybk
Aug 19, 2011, 04:27 PM
The big problem I can see just by looking at the picture is the poor lil guy's legs are washed out with the dirt. You can make the picture look MUCH better by changing a few settings, but his legs will blend in with the background unless you're pretty good at Photoshop.

I can post instructions on a similar photo if you'd like. Or I can attempt to work with this one, but I already see what's going to happen.

Just let me know!

SB123
Aug 19, 2011, 05:58 PM
whatever you guys need to do is fine with me...and appreciated.

fitshaced
Aug 19, 2011, 06:09 PM
You could adjust the exposure compensation a notch or two to see what detail you gained on the overexposed areas. Most likely there will still be very little contrast but should help.

The Mad Kiwi
Aug 19, 2011, 06:14 PM
Just delete it.

mtbdudex
Aug 19, 2011, 08:22 PM
Bad news;
Your pict is so blown out, nothing to recover.

You posted this as a jpg, did you shoot in RAW or jpeg?
If RAW, then export as TIFF and re-post link to a 2048pix TIFF, might contain more data there...

I have in Aperture 3 show hot/cold spots, see all that RED?
Blown highlights from overexposure
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-aEL-siKA4Bc/Tk8LlrlAoeI/AAAAAAAANo8/dgSS_fKcZBs/s1024/PictFix1.jpg

Tried using recovery and then highlights to get some details back, see "the wall" then drop to nothing in the top exposure curve?
That's lost data....
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_xJ7U5XbYLY/Tk8LlbABDnI/AAAAAAAANo8/NHKj503hUGU/s1024/PictFix2.jpg

From 1 parent (I'm the dad) to another parent, I tried for ya.

SB123
Aug 19, 2011, 09:45 PM
It was a JPEG. Thanks for trying mtbdudex. Your post makes sense.

I'm taking a Photoshop course soon and plan to learn all this. :)

mtbdudex
Aug 19, 2011, 10:48 PM
It was a JPEG. Thanks for trying mtbdudex. Your post makes sense.

I'm taking a Photoshop course soon and plan to learn all this. :)

I can't say the times I've:
-left focus on manual, because I was shooting stars the night before, and next morning some kids event...:(
-left IS off, same reason as above
-had the ISO cranked up to 800 or 1600 for a low light shot, and forgot to turn it back to 100....

After doing that, now my routine is check all setting before leaving the home, no matter how late I am running.
Still, I got burned just 2 weeks ago for having the IS off on my 70-200 L when I was shooting some deer in low light situation, did not notice it until downloaded the shots and they were just not crisp as usual.

Have fun, and hold off on the Photoshop course (IMO), take shots in RAW (always) and use iPhoto for now. Don't get too wrapped up in all the software Post Processing side, get camera mechanics dialed in first.
Learn "exposure", and all things related to that.
My 2 years of lessons learned.

marsmissions
Aug 21, 2011, 06:31 PM
Had you shot in RAW there might have been a chance.

cdustybk
Aug 23, 2011, 09:34 AM
Here's what I got. Still washed out, but better.

I'll tell you how to do this if you'd like. It's really easy.

carlgo
Aug 23, 2011, 10:28 AM
As a longtime baseball coach I would never allow those other kids to be where they are because if the batter loses his grip....That and making kids throw in parallel lines and not randomly in warmups, and not allowing them to throw in the ball from the outfield unless it is part of a drill.

You just don't want to have balls and bats flying around randomly and have kids get hit in the head.

The photo...hopeless technically and not the shot of the century anyway to where you need to spend too much time on it. There will be hundreds and thousands of others. Keep practicing.

As the other responders have said, when things get that washed out there is nothing any program can do to make something of nothing.

SB123
Aug 23, 2011, 12:25 PM
As a longtime baseball coach I would never allow those other kids to be where they are because if the batter loses his grip....That and making kids throw in parallel lines and not randomly in warmups, and not allowing them to throw in the ball from the outfield unless it is part of a drill.

You just don't want to have balls and bats flying around randomly and have kids get hit in the head.

The photo...hopeless technically and not the shot of the century anyway to where you need to spend too much time on it. There will be hundreds and thousands of others. Keep practicing.

As the other responders have said, when things get that washed out there is nothing any program can do to make something of nothing.

This was Phillies baseball camp run by the Phillies personnel, but I agree with you that the kids are in a bad spot.

I was more curious to see if it was fixable as opposed to needing that particular shot.

----------

Here's what I got. Still washed out, but better.

I'll tell you how to do this if you'd like. It's really easy.

Thanks for the effort. I wanted to see if it was possible to fix, but apparently isn't really.