PDA

View Full Version : Mini Portable Studio

bondiblueuk
Aug 19, 2011, 05:51 PM
Hi everyone.

I have ordered a 13" Pro Ultimate with the following specs to use as part of a small-scale, portable studio:

2.7GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD

I use a Korg PA50 Keyboard for amateur purposes but I am intending to make use of some of the sounds as audio through Logic as well as using it as my MIDI device.

I also have Logic 8, but I have seen that it isn't compatible with Lion.

What would I need to have a small scale portable studio? I would like to use the audio from my keyboard, record guitar and drums as well as perhaps a few vocals.

I have been looking at the Apogee One and Duet as a D/A interface.

What are my options? I don't have a huge amount to spend and I am considering using headphones as my main way of monitoring for the time being.

Many thanks

a1rflow
Aug 19, 2011, 08:02 PM
The new Apogee Duets are amazing audio interfaces and come with some great mic pre's also if you decide to buy a mic to record vocals, guitars, etc.

In order to use your keyboard as both a MIDI device and use its sounds, you would connect the output into an "instrument" or DI connector on your interface. Assuming it also has a MIDI out, you would also connect that to a MIDI port on the interface (However the Apogee Duet does not come with a breakout MIDI cable I believe).

As for a DAW that is supported on Lion, I've heard REAPER is great as a low cost alternative to Pro Tools. If you're just starting out Garageband works fine until you decide on a software.

bondiblueuk
Aug 19, 2011, 08:13 PM
The new Apogee Duets are amazing audio interfaces and come with some great mic pre's also if you decide to buy a mic to record vocals, guitars, etc.

In order to use your keyboard as both a MIDI device and use its sounds, you would connect the output into an "instrument" or DI connector on your interface. Assuming it also has a MIDI out, you would also connect that to a MIDI port on the interface (However the Apogee Duet does not come with a breakout MIDI cable I believe).

As for a DAW that is supported on Lion, I've heard REAPER is great as a low cost alternative to Pro Tools. If you're just starting out Garageband works fine until you decide on a software.

What is a DAW sorry? I am currently leaning towards the Duet or Duet 2. I have looked into a set of AKG K240 Headphones for monitoring. I have a USB MIDI interface already for the keyboard.

I am probably going to buy Logic 9 as I still have a student discount I can use.

Do people rate the M Audio AV 40's as good monitors?

jmacnash
Aug 19, 2011, 09:40 PM
You might also want to look at the Presonus Firestudio Mobile. Great quality audio, MIDI I/O more inputs and outputs than the duet and it comes with software you can use.

DAW is an acronym for Digital Audio Workstation so anything like Logic or Pro Tools or that allows you to edit audio.

I don't have direct experience with the AV40 but I would rather have a great pair of headphones like the Sennheiser HD650s than a marginal pair of monitors...

bondiblueuk
Aug 20, 2011, 06:40 AM
You might also want to look at the Presonus Firestudio Mobile. Great quality audio, MIDI I/O more inputs and outputs than the duet and it comes with software you can use.

DAW is an acronym for Digital Audio Workstation so anything like Logic or Pro Tools or that allows you to edit audio.

I don't have direct experience with the AV40 but I would rather have a great pair of headphones like the Sennheiser HD650s than a marginal pair of monitors...

Is the Presonus as good quality as the Duet and is it compatible with Lion?

jmacnash
Aug 20, 2011, 01:31 PM
I think the FS Mobile compares very favorably to the Duet ( I owned both and sold the Duet) and Presonus has a Lion driver up that is officially listed as public beta but seems to be working very well.

apw100
Aug 22, 2011, 04:32 PM
Is the Presonus as good quality as the Duet and is it compatible with Lion?

The Duet is superior in my opinion. I'd say that the Apogee Duet and RME Fireface are the best quality interfaces that you can buy. I have the original Duet.

firestarter
Aug 23, 2011, 10:47 AM
Take a look at the Presonus, the RME Fireface or the MOTU Ultralite.

The Apogee Duet (or the RME Babyface) may be good - but you'll find just two inputs to be too limiting for your purposes - you'll need more channels to record drums.