Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wkl5532

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
it seems that apple did not bring any new stuff to iWeb in lion, i've been wondering maybe they gonna give it up. is the apple.com made by iWeb??? Any thoughts?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
it seems that apple did not bring any new stuff to iWeb in lion, i've been wondering maybe they gonna give it up. is the apple.com made by iWeb??? Any thoughts?

iWeb is Apple's version of FrontPage. It is a newbie web authoring tool. It's pretty good, as newbie tools go. FrontPage was criticized for obfuscating pages so they couldn't later be edited in any other tool. It was also criticized for making pages that would only render properly in Internet Explorer. iWeb doesn't do those kind of tricks. Pages created in iWeb can be edited in Dreamweaver or taco html just fine. But iWeb does not have a future.

Apple web hosting was based on html. No server side includes. No php. No ASP. Just flat html. Today's world is dhtml. You can get your own dmtml based web site by spending 5 minutes at blogspot or wordpress so why bother with iWeb? I think this is why Apple is dumping iWeb. They have decided this isn't something they need to provide. Once Mobile Me goes dark (in June 2012), I expect iWeb to either get updated or end of lifed because today's iWeb offers so many publishing shortcuts to put pages up on mobile me, it's almost a waste of time to use it for anything else.

The rest of iLife is nice. iPhoto, Garage Band, etc are very nice. iWeb is nice for creating a site and hosting it on the Apache server built in your Mac or hosting it on some third party host but mobile me web hosting is a dead duck.

laptoplover2

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
USA
Not terrible but still pretty awesome

Well I mean iWeb might not be the most advanced tool. It no bug dream weaver or something, but if you're not looking for an amazingly advanced tool, it still does an awesome job for something that was built-in. The rest can be embeded.

Http://Betty.com.nu
I did a blank project and then built the rest from scratch. I mean sure it's not all full of fancy flash things, but yeah for a built-in tool you can't say it doesn't do a good job.

Jags198478

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
can anybody help me?

i want to create a slideshow for my website in estate agents i dont know how to create a slideshow similar to this website http://www.parkfields-estates.com/ if anybody can help that would be great thanks on the codes or how to do it step by step.

Thanks

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I think the others have summed up the user audience for iWeb.

Interesting simplistic wysiwyg editor is Rapidweaver if you're looking to hide from code. I''m a Visual Studio/Dreamweaver guy personally.

Jags198478

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
im using iweb

i have looked at jquery which seems kinda complicated.
i am a novice at building a site so i am using i web is their anyway of doing what i want in an easier way?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.