Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluearrow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
I don't have a USB drive to make a bootable version of Lion so I was wondering if I can just use Disk Utility to verify the disk in Safe Mode. Thank you.

bluearrow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
How can it do more? I never noticed a difference when I used my Snow Leopard disk.

arubinst

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Lausanne - Switzerland
I don't have a USB drive to make a bootable version of Lion so I was wondering if I can just use Disk Utility to verify the disk in Safe Mode. Thank you.

You don't have the recovery partition either? It's automatically created by the Lion installer and it comes installed by default in post-Lion hardware.

Just boot your machine holding the option (alt) key and then select the recovery partition. Booting while holding cmd-r might also work. It should boot directly to the recovery partition.

bluearrow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
I never checked if I had a recovery partition. But If I boot from that will I be able to use verify disk in the same way as if I was booting from a USB? If so, why bother making a USB to boot from?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
How can it do more? I never noticed a difference when I used my Snow Leopard disk.

I've run verify and repair (usually not just verify) from the booted volume and usual from the install DVD. I have seen it happen that the self-check reports no issues but the one from the DVD actually manages to fix the problem. My guess is this has to do with files that are in use.

As arubinst says, the recovery partition may be your best option here. I still have not fully adapted to Lion.

B

arubinst

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Lausanne - Switzerland
But If I boot from that will I be able to use verify disk in the same way as if I was booting from a USB?
Yes, you should be. You would be repairing your boot partition from a different and independent partition.

If so, why bother making a USB to boot from?
Actually, you don't have to make a USB. It may come in handy if your disk fails (as in physical failure) and you need to install Lion on a new drive. Or if you accidentally wipe your disk and your recovery partition. It has happened to some people trying to use Boot Camp.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yes, you should be. You would be repairing your boot partition from a different and independent partition.

Actually, you don't have to make a USB. It may come in handy if your disk fails (as in physical failure) and you need to install Lion on a new drive. Or if you accidentally wipe your disk and your recovery partition. It has happened to some people trying to use Boot Camp.
You can make a DVD copy of Lion using this utlity:
http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/ It is free and works great. It looks for the Lion install that was downloaded and makes a DVD copy you can boot to.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.