Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luked14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I just purchased a 13" MBA i5 128 yesterday, and I just noticed an interesting problem with the USB port on the right side. I've tried several different USB devices and none of them will plug all the way into the port. I can only partially insert them and get the message about the USB drawing too much power. The left USB is working perfectly and reading all devices properly. Has anyone had or heard of this problem? Am I destined for a trip to the Genius Bar?

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I came on here cuz my left USB port doesn't work.

Crap this sucks. I've already returned this once... I don't wanna make the drive back to my nearest Apple store.

Anyone else have experience with this issue besides us?

luked14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Just got back from the Apple store where they replaced mine because of the USB problem. Two of the pins were not in the correct place inside the port. I came out better this time since I got a Samsung SSD and display so I'm not complaining.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Just got back from the Apple store where they replaced mine because of the USB problem. Two of the pins were not in the correct place inside the port. I came out better this time since I got a Samsung SSD and display so I'm not complaining.

Something weird about my situation...

Restarting the computer fixes the problem. Not sure why though

Also, I've got the Samsung display + SSD two times in a row, and something tells me I won't be that lucky a third time :p

luked14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Something weird about my situation...

Restarting the computer fixes the problem. Not sure why though

Have you looked inside the port and compared to the other to see if they look the same?

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Sometimes the ports are a little tight when new. I find that they do loosen up over time. I noticed that esp about the right port on one of my MBA's But it seems fine now after 2-3 weeks.

NDN

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I also have a MBA 13" 2011 and my left USB port does not work sometimes, no matter which hardrive I am connecting. But after a reboot it works just fine ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.