PDA

View Full Version : What to expect in next iPods? (excluding Touch)

Apple...
Aug 20, 2011, 03:36 PM
Just wondering. Besides, it's fun to make predictions. :cool:

iPod Nano: capacity bumps (new 16GB and 32GB models), increase in battery life

iPod Shuffle: capacity bump from 2GB to 4GB

iPod Classic (despite many declaring it "dead", I'm betting on one more refresh for its 10th anniversary): I expect a storage upgrade (to 240GB), with a possible redesign and increase in battery life

Pretty bland updates if you ask me - it's a good thing I don't work at Apple. :D

rgarjr
Aug 20, 2011, 04:28 PM
Wi-Fi to stream music with home sharing.

applefan289
Aug 20, 2011, 04:41 PM
I really don't see how they can make these things better other than more storage and the A5 processor (for the Touch). Of course, a redesign would be good, but how much more thin can you make the Shuffle?

Illumination
Aug 20, 2011, 05:04 PM
I think the Shuffle is done - it has little use anymore and isn't competitive. It just clutters the iPod line.

Nano needs a price drop. $149 for that itty bitty thing? No.

Classic, if they decide not to kill it, will probably get a capacity bump. Otherwise, there's not much else to do to it.

applefan289
Aug 20, 2011, 05:36 PM
I have a current-gen Shuffle and use it when I don't want to hold a bigger product for just music-listening (and I don't want to look at a screen or hold a product that has a screen).

It has its own little niche. But I understand where you're coming from. If you have an iPhone, there's no need for it.

But like I said, when all you want to do is listen to music and not use a device with a screen, the Shuffle comes in handy (although the sound quality is not as good as iOS devices).

I happen to feel the whole iPod lineup is cluttered, to be honest. With iPhone, iPad, and Macs, iPods come in last place. In my mind, this is the order of "goodness" for Apple products.

1. Mac lineup
2. iPhone/iPad

3. iPod lineup

singlestick
Aug 20, 2011, 06:12 PM
I notice more people, including teens, getting Touches, so I wonder if there is really much place for the iPod line? There might still be a place for a nano, but the Shuffle and the Classic might no longer be relevant to many users.

TheSuperSteve
Aug 20, 2011, 08:31 PM
I don't know. I think the whole iPod line needs a make over. Kinda like what's going on with the MacBooks. What I would do:

iPod classic: Kill it like the pearly white MacBook.

iPod nano: This one would take the role of the big storage iPod. I would flip it back to a 5th Gen design again with the click wheel but with light cosmetic differences. Like an aluminum body so its aesthetics fit the iPod shuffle and the iPad and the Macs. It would come in 64GB and 128GB models (I'm not sure if flash storage can hold more than that.). Or heck even just a single model with 128GB. Slightly bigger screen, slightly better camera, better speakers, built in microphone, you know all the stuff while keeping iOS and apps out of it and keeping it at a decent price below that of an iPod touch. It's a music player not a mobile computer.

iPod shuffle: This one would take the role of the teeny tiny iPod for the gym and stuff like it is now. Storage bump to 4GB.

That's just my opinion though. But I really can't see myself buying an iPod classic when I could just buy a nano or a 64GB touch instead.

Illumination
Aug 20, 2011, 09:25 PM
I think they'll keep the Nano a touchscreen device because it fits in with everything else. It's not running iOS, but it's very much like it (interface and such).

I agree with giving the iPod line a makeover. It had its time, but it's time to move on. In 2007 when they came out with the Classic and the "fat" nano, that line was very uniform. Very Apple-esque. Now it's just all over the place.

My issue with the Shuffle is the fact that there are mp3 players out there (with screens) that have more storage and are cheaper.

Peterson8765
Aug 20, 2011, 09:36 PM
Just wondering. Besides, it's fun to make predictions. :cool:

iPod Nano: capacity bumps (new 16GB and 32GB models), increase in battery life

iPod Shuffle: capacity bump from 2GB to 4GB

iPod Classic (despite many declaring it "dead", I'm betting on one more refresh for its 10th anniversary): I expect a storage upgrade (to 240GB), with a possible redesign and increase in battery life

Pretty bland updates if you ask me - it's a good thing I don't work at Apple. :D

I say that it's pretty possible that most of this will happen. Since Apple is now more serious about flash memory and SSD's, I truly think the classic might have one more refresh or it might just die. Although yes, the nano and shuffle need capacity jumps.

nicksmolenski
Aug 21, 2011, 12:02 AM
i don't know about killing the ipod classic. i can still see it being useful in some instances, and i don't see apple creating a 160gb+ ipod touch without altering the price.

however i agree with letting the shuffle go. the nano is so small now, and companies have made more accessories for it than the shuffle, like those watch band things. i feel like it's an excess product they could afford to cut out.

so my predictions are to increase storage for ipod classic and ipod nano and cut the shuffle. i can't picture a complete refresh for either one, but apple always has something up their sleeve. :p

Apple...
Aug 23, 2011, 04:25 PM
We'll see who's right in a few weeks. :)

wrinkster22
Aug 24, 2011, 10:45 AM
i don't know. I think the whole ipod line needs a make over. Kinda like what's going on with the macbooks. What i would do:

Ipod classic: Kill it like the pearly white macbook.

Ipod nano: This one would take the role of the big storage ipod. I would flip it back to a 5th gen design again with the click wheel but with light cosmetic differences. Like an aluminum body so its aesthetics fit the ipod shuffle and the ipad and the macs. It would come in 64gb and 128gb models (i'm not sure if flash storage can hold more than that.). Or heck even just a single model with 128gb. Slightly bigger screen, slightly better camera, better speakers, built in microphone, you know all the stuff while keeping ios and apps out of it and keeping it at a decent price below that of an ipod touch. It's a music player not a mobile computer.

Ipod shuffle: This one would take the role of the teeny tiny ipod for the gym and stuff like it is now. Storage bump to 4gb.

That's just my opinion though. But i really can't see myself buying an ipod classic when i could just buy a nano or a 64gb touch instead.

eek that nano would cost like 500 usd!

MallCop
Aug 24, 2011, 11:30 AM
Steve says the shuffle is "cute" so I doubt its going anywhere.

iEvolution
Aug 24, 2011, 05:20 PM
Shuffle - 4GB capacity at the same price as the 2GB model now. Some would argue it isn't necessary to have that much capacity for a screen less player, however some of us don't want to downgrade the sound quality to 128kbps just to fit in 400 or so songs. New colors of course.

Classic - Capacity bump to that toshiba 220GB that was released a few months ago.

Nano - Possible to bring back the click wheel, they certainly learned it was a bad idea with the iPod Shuffle to remove the controls. Really don't know what form factor they would put it in, I honestly doubt there will even be a capacity bump, they weren't going to even bump it to 16GB until microsoft released the Zune with 16GB. I'm hoping for 32GB, but I'm not holding my breath.

Really they aren't going to do any dynamic changes to the iPod line anymore its already reached its peak and while I don't think the line is going ANYWHERE (people will always want a music player or want to change), I don't think there is going to be any wild changes as far as features go.

In fact, I don't see any major changes to either the iPhone or the iPod Touch other than processor updates and capacity. Unless they start thinking outside the box again and come up with a whole new concept.

Illumination
Aug 24, 2011, 07:55 PM
Steve says the shuffle is "cute" so I doubt its going anywhere.
LOL ok? All things must come to an end someday...

(you can tell I hate the Shuffle :p)

gpat
Aug 25, 2011, 06:36 AM
Kill them all.

Just kidding. Pixel QI screen on the Nano would make for a much better iWatch.

yly3
Aug 26, 2011, 06:15 AM
Make the current Nano's bezel practically inexistent, make it 32GB and I'll buy one. Battery life is more than decent with the February update but bigger of course wouldn't hurt. I just doubt that they will add a 32 version mostly because it would eat the Touch sales.. or it could be the other way around, people thinking that at the same price they could get a much "better" iPod.
Thing is, Nano will still be with us for some time, I hate running with an iPhone.

TK 421
Aug 27, 2011, 01:39 PM
I was thinking maybe adding Bluetooth to the Nano and then enabled it to sync with the iPhone? That way you get notifications for SMS, phone calls, etc. Maybe even add a speaker/microphone?

Similar to this without the crazy price: http://www.imwatch.it/en/smartwatch/specs/

Of course, if an iWatch is coming, then I doubt this will come to pass.

maconservative
Aug 28, 2011, 04:54 PM
I predict the following:

iPod Shuffle - Discontinued.

iPod Nano - Price drop. Capacity change to 8/16/32, with $99, $149, $179 price points.

iPod Touch - Similar upgrades to the next iPhone (iOS 5, A5 chip). Capacity change to 32/64/128 at current price points, $229, $299, $399.

iPod Classic - Capacity increase to 240 GB and WiFi to take advantage of iCloud. Current price of $249.

:D

strubinstein
Aug 28, 2011, 08:31 PM
Can't believe so many people really think the shuffle is that useless. Its literally the perfect device if you are doing anything active, where damage is a risk and you don't want to be constantly messing with it.

I use mine 99% of the time when I'm skateboarding, its perfect for that. I never skate with a phone in my pocket, and my classic is bulky and would probably get damaged in about 7 minutes. Same deal with snowboarding. Must not be too many athletes on this website...

Des Zac
Aug 28, 2011, 09:31 PM
Can't believe so many people really think the shuffle is that useless. Its literally the perfect device if you are doing anything active, where damage is a risk and you don't want to be constantly messing with it.

I use mine 99% of the time when I'm skateboarding, its perfect for that. I never skate with a phone in my pocket, and my classic is bulky and would probably get damaged in about 7 minutes. Same deal with snowboarding. Must not be too many athletes on this website...

I know! I plan on getting and Orange iPod Shuffle really soon! I don't trust myself with my iPod Touch when I'm riding my bike!

Alvesang
Aug 29, 2011, 11:00 AM
My predictions:

1. Shuffle gets a 4 GB option. Other specs remain the same.
2.1 Nano gets WiFi for iCloud usage. Other specs remain the same.
2.2 NanoWatch is introduced as a communicator for other iOS devices. No WiFi.
3. Touch gets better cameras and whatever processor is in the new iPhone. Capacity stays the same.
4. Classic is (sadly) discontinued. Or it'll still be sold with no changes whatsoever.

Why are there no news concerning a keynote? Maybe it'll be an October event due to personell changes? We shall see...

Illumination
Aug 29, 2011, 03:28 PM

The new iPod nano is what Apple should want athletes to use. Discontinue the shuffle, people fork up more for a nano, more $$$ for Apple. Is this good for the consumer? Not exactly - either get a nano or look for an mp3 player elsewhere. But options are not part of Apple's agenda.

strubinstein
Aug 29, 2011, 05:56 PM
The new iPod nano is what Apple should want athletes to use. Discontinue the shuffle, people fork up more for a nano, more $$$ for Apple. Is this good for the consumer? Not exactly - either get a nano or look for an mp3 player elsewhere. But options are not part of Apple's agenda.

I think apple has more sense than that. A huge part of the appeal of the shuffle is that you can just hit play and go, no messing around to figure out what song you wan't to play. This only really works well (generally speaking) if you have a couple hundred songs at most. Nobody will pay all that extra money for all the extra storage that they don't need/want. I'm pretty sure the people at Apple would recognize this and opt not block out a pretty significant portion of the market. They don't want people to look for an MP3 player else wear. And if they do, I'd say thats a bad call.

Also, the screen on the Nano is definitely at risk of breaking. Imagine landing on hard concrete or a hand rail right on top of the thing. It would shatter, I've seen it happen with iPhones and iPod Touches.

Another thing, the ability to operate the shuffle without having to look at it is essential. All you have to do is reach into your pocket or down to your belt buckle, feel for the buttons and your good to go. You can't do that with a touch screen device.

iDave
Sep 4, 2011, 09:34 AM
I think the Shuffle is done - it has little use anymore and isn't competitive. It just clutters the iPod line.

The shuffle and the Classic are the only iPods that are still easy to use. The others are too complicated if you just want to play music, skip a song, pause, etc.

While the touch is cool and all, it's too complicated to be a simple music device. IMO, the nano is now a joke.

Eggtastic
Sep 4, 2011, 12:20 PM
they got the iPod nano design right when it was the 5th generation. that form factor enough was small, light, had a nice large screen, and the click wheel that i still love for a smaller device like that. its perfect for the gym.

the new design is too small, the screen is too small to read a list of songs, and its just too small in general for touch screen use. i hate it. i doubt they will but it would be nice to revert back to the 5th gen design, bump the space and battery life up, i would upgrade in an instant.

iDave
Sep 4, 2011, 05:13 PM
they got the iPod nano design right when it was the 5th generation. that form factor enough was small, light, had a nice large screen, and the click wheel that i still love for a smaller device like that. its perfect for the gym.

the new design is too small, the screen is too small to read a list of songs, and its just too small in general for touch screen use. i hate it. i doubt they will but it would be nice to revert back to the 5th gen design, bump the space and battery life up, i would upgrade in an instant.
I agree on all points. I wonder if Apple is really selling many of the new nanos. I hear it makes a pretty nice watch, but even then, you have to wake it up to see the time. :rolleyes:

qwerf123
Sep 4, 2011, 05:47 PM
I reckon they won't do much to the nano as I don't think they will get rid of the touch screen now after only 1 refresh. Also there have been leaked photos of the current form factor nano casing with a hole in the back for a camera. So I would definitely expect to see a camera of some sort.
But I do completely agree with you with it being too small as no normal person can properly use it.

I've gotta admit, with the last refresh, I like what they did with the shuffle making it actually have buttons again. I makes it more like one of the earlier shuffles.

I reckon it won't be too long until they don't bother much with refreshing the iPod range apart from the iPod touch, like they have done with the classic, as there isn't much they can add or do now that is really innovate.
But knowing Apple, they can completely prove me wrong here.

I think the future of the iPod range is the touch as its a cheaper option to the iPhone and none of the others sadly and I bet they will shortly start to do refreshes along side the iPhone/iPad instead of having the separate event in September as iPods are as much part of the brand image that Apple used to have. Its now all about the iPhone and iPad!

dqfayi
Sep 4, 2011, 09:11 PM
i love listen to music all the time, Wi-Fi to stream music with home sharing. thank u~:)

sidelarge
Sep 5, 2011, 01:29 AM
I have to second strubinstein's opinion on Shuffle. I have both a nano and Shuffle, and the former has been collecting dust. I'm not even an athlete, but having to operate the device on touch screen, such a small one no less, can easily be a huge distraction, given the generally casual, quick and care-free use of those tiny devices. It was annoying enough for me to switch back to shuffle in a few days. It's a good example of the fact that being a little fancy gadget doesn't always guarantee good usability.

APlotdevice
Sep 5, 2011, 07:25 AM
I would love to see a version of the iPod Classic which could wirelessly stream media to any iOS device. Though TBH my I'm not getting my hopes up.

As for predictions, well perhaps there will be a new iPod, a little bit larger than the Nano, with capacities starting at 16GB, and most critically WiFi for iCloud.

Nicolas4ever
Sep 5, 2011, 12:52 PM
it's possible that the new nano will have wi-fi to use the iCloud service.

Alvesang
Sep 5, 2011, 03:15 PM
By now, I think the question shouldn't be what to expect but when to expect. Where's the keynote info? *sigh*

Warbrain
Sep 5, 2011, 03:45 PM
it's possible that the new nano will have wi-fi to use the iCloud service.

I think it's unlikely. Think of the space needed for an antenna and chip.

Alvesang
Sep 5, 2011, 04:25 PM

How much space do antenna and chip need?

Illumination
Sep 5, 2011, 04:33 PM
While I would love a 10th anniversary iPod, I'm doubting that a whole lot is happening this year. At least anything other than a few discontinuations. iCloud access for the Classic would be pretty cool though, but I doubt it will happen.

Nicolas4ever
Sep 5, 2011, 05:06 PM

i think thay can put the chips.They aren't so slim

The Norman
Sep 5, 2011, 05:27 PM
I'm hoping for a WiFi iPod Classic with a terabyte 2.5 drive. I think lossless fans are the only people who care about the Classic anymore and most of us don't mind a few extra cubic centimeters.
Auto update the car iPod while it sits in the garage.

Nicolas4ever
Sep 5, 2011, 05:43 PM
I'm hoping for a WiFi iPod Classic with a terabyte 2.5 drive. I think lossless fans are the only people who care about the Classic anymore and most of us don't mind a few extra cubic centimeters.
Auto update the car iPod while it sits in the garage.i think 1 terabyte is
just too much.But 500GB would be nice

Warbrain
Sep 5, 2011, 07:35 PM
How much space do antenna and chip need?

They need not only the space for the chips - which is roughly the size of the Apple on the back of the iPad - but also an OS that can execute what's needed to use the wifi. I doubt that Apple would put iOS on any of the remaining iPods.

spyguy10709
Sep 6, 2011, 05:22 PM
Plan A-

Apple stagnates for a while. Whateves.

Shuffle stays the same- New price - only 39 dollars for 2gb, 59 for 4.

Nano gets video, slightly larger+old camera. tada.

The classic is my favorite lil guy. I think steve will do a 10th anniversary model, just for ***** and giggles. :p Wi-fi is a no-no. No good browser= suckage.

Touch gets a5, better screen (maybe bigger). maybe slimmer. yay. price drops to 199 for 16, 259(or maybe 299) for 32, 64= 350, 128= no.

HOWEVER-
There is a Secondary possibility.
they might be crazy enough to do a iPod Pro- a touch front with a classic form factor. A 8GB ssd (caching, core apps, OS, some songs/games) with a 250-500gb hdd for songs. Has wifi, FaceTime, and all that jazz. Target price---- MAYBE 349..

Under this circumstance I think that the Nano may become a new iPod. The iPod Micro. (maybe?) About the same size as the nano 6th, but with a better screen, and maybe slightly less bezel. Target Price- 129, 199

i think same as above in terms of shuffle for situation B)

NOTE- I AM AN APPLE FANBOY- just one that thinks apple could do a bit more in terms of innovation.

Invincibilizer
Sep 10, 2011, 05:37 PM
Plan A-

The classic is my favorite lil guy. I think steve will do a 10th anniversary model, just for ***** and giggles. :p Wi-fi is a no-no. No good browser= suckage.

Touch gets a5, better screen (maybe bigger). maybe slimmer. yay. price drops to 199 for 16, 259(or maybe 299) for 32, 64= 350, 128= no.

HOWEVER-
they might be crazy enough to do a iPod Pro- a touch front with a classic form factor. A 8GB ssd (caching, core apps, OS, some songs/games) with a 250-500gb hdd for songs. Has wifi, FaceTime, and all that jazz. Target price---- MAYBE 349..

Under this circumstance I think that the Nano may become a new iPod. The iPod Micro. (maybe?) About the same size as the nano 6th, but with a better screen, and maybe slightly less bezel. Target Price- 129, 199

NOTE- I AM AN APPLE FANBOY- just one that thinks apple could do a bit more in terms of innovation.

None of those will happen.

Des Zac
Sep 10, 2011, 05:47 PM
None of those will happen.

On what ground?

Illumination
Sep 10, 2011, 08:16 PM
Plan A-

HOWEVER-

Your plan A sounds fairly practical, but your plan B is kinda outlandish. Apple doesn't want any one product to compete with another. But maybe they'll get rid of some of the iPod lines and come out with a new one? Who knows.

All I know is that it's September 10th and there's still no news on the iPods. There really haven't been any rumors on them, excluding the Touch. I guess the next iPhone is taking up all the limelight.

striker33
Sep 11, 2011, 11:28 AM
Can't see them killing the iPod Classic until flash memory becomes dirt cheap.

Some people actually like to listen to a few thousand high quality songs instead of just crap mp3 files ripped from youtube.

watervapr
Sep 11, 2011, 03:01 PM
My predictions:

Touch - gets a5 chip, new screen, all the iphone 5 stuff. Also gets capacitive home button, 3g data capability. Maybe: white color. New pricing and storage points at 32GB/229, 64GB/299, 128GB/399.

Classic - storage upgrade to 220 GB, maybe wifi for iCloud.

Shuffle - may get dropped/replaced by new nano. Otherwise, kept exactly the same but with hopefully a price drop and reintroduction of the 4GB: 2GB/39, 4GB/55.

Now the Nano - gets the 1.3MP camera as rumored, slightly larger display but same case, clip gets resized and shoved down a bit to accommodate the camera. Bluetooth - maybe. No apps, wifi, or iOS, for sure. Pricing and storage points at 8GB/129, 16GB/149, 32GB/179.

Hopefully apple will unveil all of this and the new iphone before october.

Atomike
Sep 11, 2011, 07:36 PM
They need to drastically drop the price of the nano - the price needs to reflect the functionality of the device.
Based on the functions in a nano 6G, they need to drop the 7G to around $25. No more. Anything more would be an insult. No video? $25 is about right for a music-only kid's plaything.

Illumination
Sep 12, 2011, 06:54 PM
They need to drastically drop the price of the nano - the price needs to reflect the functionality of the device.
Based on the functions in a nano 6G, they need to drop the 7G to around $25. No more. Anything more would be an insult. No video? $25 is about right for a music-only kid's plaything.
This. I saw one at the store the other day and my god it's smaller than I imagined. I just don't understand how you can make it so freaking small, reduce functionality (remember when the Nano played videos?) and STILL sell it for $150+.

Hopefully they'll do something with that thing this year.

FroMann
Sep 12, 2011, 11:23 PM
A cheaper iPod classic with its classic click wheel.

BillyBobBongo
Sep 13, 2011, 04:48 AM
This. I saw one at the store the other day and my god it's smaller than I imagined. I just don't understand how you can make it so freaking small, reduce functionality (remember when the Nano played videos?) and STILL sell it for $150+.

Hopefully they'll do something with that thing this year.

Yeah, I was looking at one as I wanted a nice little iPod for running. The price however put me off and I opted for a Shuffle instead, what a top little device it is.

dbales
Sep 13, 2011, 05:21 PM
I don't know. I think the whole iPod line needs a make over. Kinda like what's going on with the MacBooks. What I would do:

iPod classic: Kill it like the pearly white MacBook.

iPod nano: This one would take the role of the big storage iPod. I would flip it back to a 5th Gen design again with the click wheel but with light cosmetic differences. Like an aluminum body so its aesthetics fit the iPod shuffle and the iPad and the Macs. It would come in 64GB and 128GB models (I'm not sure if flash storage can hold more than that.). Or heck even just a single model with 128GB. Slightly bigger screen, slightly better camera, better speakers, built in microphone, you know all the stuff while keeping iOS and apps out of it and keeping it at a decent price below that of an iPod touch. It's a music player not a mobile computer.

iPod shuffle: This one would take the role of the teeny tiny iPod for the gym and stuff like it is now. Storage bump to 4GB.

That's just my opinion though. But I really can't see myself buying an iPod classic when I could just buy a nano or a 64GB touch instead.

Agree 100% with what you wrote. I despise the current gen Nano and use my 2nd, 4 GB model strictly for music. Love the click wheel and would love to get a new one with 64 GB of storage.

Apple...
Oct 7, 2011, 12:48 AM
Well, basically none of my predictions came true. :(

Primejimbo
Oct 7, 2011, 10:12 AM
Well, basically none of my predictions came true. :(

I'm just glad they didn't kill off the Classic. I have an 80GB now and I want the 160GB soon because the 80GB isn't working 100% anymore but it still works enough to keep it. Now bad for 4-5 years old, us it every day and dropped it a few times.
I hope I can get a refurbished 160GB in a few months.