Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefireboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Wales
Right okay, just went on the Mac App Store to see what games they have and to my frustration, Rome Total War, GTA 3 and KotOR all appear to be available to play on my Mac… If I re buy them from the App Store, which I really don’t want to do! Anyone know why they aren’t on Steam and whether BF3 or Skyrim will be on Mac.
Cheers
Jake

StopSign24

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
It's all up to the developer.

Usually what happens is a third party company ports a game (eg. Aspyr ported KOTOR), and they want to sell it themselves so they can make money.

The way that Steam is currently setup, if you buy KOTOR, Bioware gets the money. If they sell the game under Steamplay, then Aspyr wouldn't get any money, which Aspyr doesn't want to do. So instead of selling it on Steam for no money, they sell it on the App Store.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This thread on Steam details it in more detail.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Neither Battlefield 3 nor Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim are coming to the Mac platform. The PC version of the former will not be available on Steam like some of EA's previous games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.