Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Ok so I have 1 ethernet cable going from the actiontec router to the time capsule. I then have all my computers plugged into the time capsule. Backups have been pretty slow. I read online that if you disable the wireless on the time capsule it defaults to wired and the backups speed up. Well when I disabled wireless, it actually SLOWED down even tho my computer is hooked to it directly via ethernet. its backing up less then 1mb/s. So now im thinking there has to be a better way to set this network up so I can atleast get like 10-15mbps. Any help guys?

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
It shouldn't be that slow, but you should do like me: call up Verizon and have them move you from coax to Ethernet, so you can get rid of your action tech router. I'm going directly to the ONT box.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Your setup sounds similar to mine. I wouldn't characterize my backup speeds as slow, although I've never timed them (how are you measuring the backup speed?).

I've got coax from the ONT to my Actiontec (Gen2, rev. F, I believe), then a single ethernet cable to my 1st-gen Time Capsule. I have the wireless in the Actiontec disabled, and enabled on the Time Capsule. I use TM/TC to back up my iMac (wired to the TC) and my new MBP (wirelessly). Works great. Backups seem fast to me.

Guess that's the long way of saying I don't know why you're getting such odd results, but it should be possible to get it working!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.