Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eradik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
So I don't know whats going on with my MacBook Pro. I'm running OS X 10.7.1.

It all started with iStat Menus. I had hard drive usage turned on and my free space is listed around 237 GB.

I checked the Finder (after turning the status bar back on) and it lists 306 GB free.

I went into About This Mac and clicked storage, and it's reporting 253 GB free.

Ummm.... what? I'm a bit confused. Anyone had this happen to them? I get iStat Menus being wrong because it is a third party program. But Finder/About both being different (and such a wide range different!)?

Any ideas?

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
the difference between iStat menus and the mac could be the way disk space is calculated (SL/Lion use base 10, most things use base 2)

in the about this Mac section, does it show an amount under backup, this could be the differences as I believe this is only temp used while the mac has the space

Eradik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
the difference between iStat menus and the mac could be the way disk space is calculated (SL/Lion use base 10, most things use base 2)

in the about this Mac section, does it show an amount under backup, this could be the differences as I believe this is only temp used while the mac has the space

Thank you. It does appear that there is a backup calculated in About my Mac which, when left out, makes it balance out when subtracted from my total space and it matches what Finder says.

I found an option to turn on Base 10 in iStat and it now matches About my Mac.

Didn't know about backups.

THANK YOU! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.