PDA

View Full Version : Which camera?

will waters
Aug 21, 2011, 02:22 PM
Hi
I am looking at buying a DSLR and I was wandering if I could have some advice, I am at school so I will need one that is robust and being both part of the photographic and video editing, and I would like to use it for video recording, my options are:

Nikon D3100, has full 1080 recording: 399 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002J9GIAQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_g23_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0NA0SRMBWDSZHGFP4X6C&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Nikon D300, no video recording 299
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3000-Digital-Camera-18-55/dp/B002J9GIAQ/ref=pd_ts_zgc_ce_14335821_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=233570107&pf_rd_s=right-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=468294&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0JA0H644Y08AMDB7XNG6

Canon EOS1100D, 720 recording, 399, premium brand, dad has one so can use his accessorise
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-18-55-Lens-Kit/dp/B004MPQXZA/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313954326&sr=1-15

Thanks Will

h00ligan
Aug 21, 2011, 02:24 PM
Retracting my previous. 3100

flosseR
Aug 21, 2011, 03:51 PM
Nice typo.. hehe D300 !!! for 299, I would have jumped on that one :)..

But i agree with about: D3100.. go for it and have fun.

h00ligan
Aug 21, 2011, 04:19 PM
Really it all depends what fits your hand well and how important video is! They are all nice.

Btw wait a few days. Sony is getting ready to release some zingers.

will waters
Aug 21, 2011, 05:38 PM
Nice typo.. hehe D300 !!! for 299, I would have jumped on that one :)..

But i agree with about: D3100.. go for it and have fun.

No, not a typo, look on amazon ( NB it is in pounds sterling) :)

danpass
Aug 21, 2011, 06:03 PM
I had a D3100. Fantastic pic quality with the kit 18-55.

I returned it due to form factor, off center viewfinder (typical in this price range so don't read too much into that), and no display on top.

But for its intended purpose it was great and I would still recommend it.

Here are some samples:

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v11/p328745722-4.jpg

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v8/p39735903-4.jpg

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v14/p797935480-4.jpg

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v17/p279509804-4.jpg

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v15/p791638690-4.jpg

h00ligan
Aug 21, 2011, 06:06 PM
No, not a typo, look on amazon ( NB it is in pounds sterling) :)

There was a typo. D3000 is a very different camera than the d300.

rusty2192
Aug 21, 2011, 06:49 PM
Hi
I am looking at buying a DSLR and I was wandering if I could have some advice, I am at school so I will need one that is robust and being both part of the photographic and video editing, and I would like to use it for video recording, my options are:

Nikon D3100, has full 1080 recording: 399 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002J9GIAQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_g23_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0NA0SRMBWDSZHGFP4X6C&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3000-Digital-Camera-18-55/dp/B002J9GIAQ/ref=pd_ts_zgc_ce_14335821_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=233570107&pf_rd_s=right-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=468294&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0JA0H644Y08AMDB7XNG6

Canon EOS1100D, 720 recording, 399, premium brand, dad has one so can use his accessorise
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-18-55-Lens-Kit/dp/B004MPQXZA/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313954326&sr=1-15

Thanks Will

While the most important factor would be what feels best in your hands, the fact that you can share gear with your dad for the Canon would really help with costs. That said, I would stick with either the D3100 or 1100D for the newest tech in that price range. Oh, and I would go with the Canon, but that's because I'm partial to the brand and its ergonomics, etc.

jji7skyline
Aug 21, 2011, 08:29 PM
D3100 FTW

The other Nikon would be ok but it has no video... the Canon is not as good as you might think.

The D3100 has received positive reviews from all sorts of websites, whereas with the 1100D you basically get what you pay for ;)

Obviously, if you already have Canon lenses then the 1100D is the way to go :)

sumone
Aug 21, 2011, 10:14 PM

:eek::eek::eek: Oh, it's a typo you meant D3000. If you meant D300, for that price, I would say don't waste time thinking buy NOW!

will waters
Aug 22, 2011, 10:52 AM
Sorry I have got another camera to choose from

The Sony NEX C3 records 720p a friend has one and he says it is great :)

h00ligan
Aug 22, 2011, 12:59 PM
The native lenses suck for nex, for now. New nex on the way. Don't buy yet if you go that route.

Flip out screen is great for video.

dipm06
Aug 23, 2011, 05:41 AM
I'm gonna go for D3100 for an all around package. for image quality alone, i think the D300 wins.

TheReef
Aug 23, 2011, 05:49 AM
Take a look at the Pentax k-x and k-r, I find offerings from Pentax give you a lot more for your money, and are often overlooked.

All modern Pentax's have sensor based shake reduction (as opposed to lens based) that works with any lens you attach, I find this to be a huge advantage. Shake reduction is especially useful for video.

jackerin
Aug 23, 2011, 10:33 AM
I'm gonna go for D3100 for an all around package. for image quality alone, i think the D300 wins.
I notice you did not read the whole thread and I feel the need to point out that it was a typo.

h00ligan
Aug 23, 2011, 03:22 PM
The biggest issue for me with Pentax (and I really wanted a k5>) is lack of fast wide primes.

sapporobaby
Aug 23, 2011, 04:22 PM
Simple. How much can you spend?

If money is no object, I would go with the Nikon D3S. Nothing on the market beats its low light capabilities. Nothing Canon has can touch it. However, if you are more into video, then Canon has the edge here. I have the D3S and use the video (1,280 720/24 fps) without a problem. Unlike the D3100, the focus is manual. If you can wait a few months, Nikon is rumored to be releasing the D4(s/x). I will have a D3s for sale in that time. :)

flosseR
Aug 23, 2011, 05:14 PM
Simple. How much can you spend?

Did you just seriously "recommend" a D3S/D4 to someone who was contemplating a D3100 /Canon 1100? Seriously...

For someone that is still in school and obviously is just getting into DSLR photography that is quite a stretch.. yes it's great that you have a D3s but you just suggest to a beginner to shell out 6 grand on a camera that he wouldn't understand or be able to handle to begin with...

h00ligan
Aug 23, 2011, 05:36 PM
M9's and 50 Noctilux's for everyone. Paired of course with a red.

gnd
Aug 23, 2011, 11:39 PM
Did you just seriously "recommend" a D3S/D4 to someone who was contemplating a D3100 /Canon 1100? Seriously...

For someone that is still in school and obviously is just getting into DSLR photography that is quite a stretch.. yes it's great that you have a D3s but you just suggest to a beginner to shell out 6 grand on a camera that he wouldn't understand or be able to handle to begin with...

It's not like he recommended the most expensive DSLR camera on the market today, no, he recommended the 2nd most expensive DSLR camera on the market today ... ;)
Maybe the OP could just get both, D3S for low light work and D3X for serious work ... :rolleyes: :eek: :p

h00ligan
Aug 23, 2011, 11:48 PM
Not even close...unless you ar limiting to full frame?

gnd
Aug 23, 2011, 11:54 PM
Not even close...unless you ar limiting to full frame?

Excluding medium format of course, that's for professionals ... :o

flosseR
Aug 24, 2011, 12:56 AM
ROFL!! I hear Pentax's 645D is quite "cheap" :)

marsmissions
Aug 24, 2011, 01:37 AM
I recommend the canon.

Especially if you can borrow accessories from someone else.

sapporobaby
Aug 24, 2011, 01:37 AM

You did notice the first past of my reply right? The part where I ask how much does he want to spend. This has nothing to do with whether he is a beginner or not but only with what his budget is. Second, you make an assumption about what he will or will not be able to handle. Not sure about you but where I come from people are outfitted with this thing called a brain. It allows them to read, understand, comprehend, learn, etc.. So figuring out a camera should be pretty straight forward. You are pretty presumptuous with a person you don't even know.

flosseR
Aug 24, 2011, 02:06 AM
You did notice the first past of my reply right? The part where I ask how much does he want to spend. This has nothing to do with whether he is a beginner or not but only with what his budget is. Second, you make an assumption about what he will or will not be able to handle. Not sure about you but where I come from people are outfitted with this thing called a brain. It allows them to read, understand, comprehend, learn, etc.. So figuring out a camera should be pretty straight forward. You are pretty presumptuous with a person you don't even know.

You are absolutely right... hence my question to you. Now, if you would have read the OPs question correctly you would have figured out how much he has to spend as he clearly states that his options are the three cameras listed. Also considering he is still in school your suggestion is pretty far fetched. Also considering that he gave options for both brands, you can deduct that he does not own a DSLR now or that he is not yet attached to a brand. Again, that assumes a kind of beginner together with the overall picture. and the D3XX series is of course marked for a beginner.. right? that's why they are listed as beginner or even enthusiast cameras.

But yes, you are absolutely right, i need to check my facts and be less presumptuous and next time will follow exactly your suit. Because what I have must be what others need.

sapporobaby
Aug 24, 2011, 02:18 AM
You are absolutely right... hence my question to you. Now, if you would have read the OPs question correctly you would have figured out how much he has to spend as he clearly states that his options are the three cameras listed. Also considering he is still in school your suggestion is pretty far fetched. Also considering that he gave options for both brands, you can deduct that he does not own a DSLR now or that he is not yet attached to a brand. Again, that assumes a kind of beginner together with the overall picture. and the D3XX series is of course marked for a beginner.. right? that's why they are listed as beginner or even enthusiast cameras.

But yes, you are absolutely right, i need to check my facts and be less presumptuous and next time will follow exactly your suit. Because what I have must be what others need.

At no time did I present the D3(s/x) a a beginner camera. It is for advanced amateurs, pros, etc... However once again I state that it all comes down to what the OP is willing to pay for. If he can only afford the D3100 and the Canon, then go for that, however if he can spring for more and get a higher end camera, well this is still an option. Why not? It's not your money nor mine. At the end of the day, his happiness with what he buys is important. I have two friends who are beginners that decided to make the massive leap and went directly to the top. One likes sports, street photography, and panorama shooting (D3S), while the other wants to eventually make a living from studio, wedding, event photography, thus the (D3x). They are both happy that they spent the EXTRA money now as opposed to trading up later. Again, it comes down to what you can spend.

will waters
Aug 24, 2011, 06:59 AM
Don't bother arguing over the D3, it is out of my price range, I was unto a maximum of about 500, sorry I should have said earlier. I will be buying in about a month, however at the moment I am leaning towards the Sony NEX-5, has anyone got any other suggestions.

Thom_Edwards
Aug 24, 2011, 08:55 AM
The thing I learned most in my research is that, for the most part, it's the lenses that are doing the yeoman's work. Pick the body that you like most. And, as someone else posted I believe, think about the system you are buying in to. You mentioned your dad has a lot of Canon gear. Go that route and borrow some stuff.

Another thing that seems to be debated is megapixel count. After reading a lot of stuff, I would suggest that you don't let it be as big of a factor in your purchase as the marketing guys want.

Similarly, I've never been the guy to sit and argue 720 vs 1080 video. Personally, I don't care if something is 720 since I'm not a professional videographer. I'm shooting clips of family gatherings and first days of school and the like. And frankly, I might not want those wrinkles around my eyes showing!

I guess this is really a commentary more than a suggestion on which to buy. Personally, I just picked up the T3 (1100D on your side of pond). This is my first DSLR, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I love it.

sapporobaby
Aug 24, 2011, 09:04 AM
Don't bother arguing over the D3, it is out of my price range, I was unto a maximum of about 500, sorry I should have said earlier. I will be buying in about a month, however at the moment I am leaning towards the Sony NEX-5, has anyone got any other suggestions.

Hi Will,

No arguments mate. I agree with much of what flosseR says. His points are valid as are mine. Where I was providing a broad spectrum of options his were more refined, which is okay. Take a good look at the D3100, or even the D7000 and compare them to the Sony. Basically go through the menus and see which work for you. Still in this day and age, camera manufacturers simply can not create easy to use menus. Hope this helps.

flosseR
Aug 24, 2011, 10:42 AM

It's all ok.. its just friendly bantering.. :)

About the Nex.. I personally don't own one but I know at least two people who returned theirs. Not happy. Yes it can produce stunning shots but under specific conditions and you are quite limited in terms of lenses etc. I have also heard that its a really weird ergonomic feel.

I don't know but i wouldn't buy one. Then again, this is merely hearsay so take it with a pinch of salt. I would suggest you go to a store and play with those cameras. Also keep in mind of upgrades later. nikon and Canon have broad ranges of lenses.. Sony not THAT much...

TheDrift-
Aug 24, 2011, 11:29 AM
It's all ok.. its just friendly bantering.. :)

About the Nex.. I personally don't own one but I know at least two people who returned theirs. Not happy. Yes it can produce stunning shots but under specific conditions and you are quite limited in terms of lenses etc. I have also heard that its a really weird ergonomic feel.

I don't know but i wouldn't buy one. Then again, this is merely hearsay so take it with a pinch of salt. I would suggest you go to a store and play with those cameras. Also keep in mind of upgrades later. nikon and Canon have broad ranges of lenses.. Sony not THAT much...

not sure if they still do it, but I seem to remember sony have there hot shoe backwards or a different to type to cannon/nikon and it means some flash accesories needed a special adapter and that didnt work all that well....

I know its not a major point but I'd thought I'd throw it in there lol

cellpig
Aug 24, 2011, 01:41 PM
Will there be a time when all we need is our phones instead of a stand alone camera? I think so (http://cellpig.com/blog/information/will-cell-phones-take-over-digital-cameras/), but it might be a few more years away.

mackmgg
Aug 24, 2011, 03:43 PM
Will there be a time when all we need is our phones instead of a stand alone camera? I think so (http://cellpig.com/blog/information/will-cell-phones-take-over-digital-cameras/), but it might be a few more years away.

It depends on who you mean by "we." Most people who shoot photos for art will not be satisfied by a cell phone camera, no matter how good they get. (Unless they're fitting a reflex inside my cell phone)

Also, you may want to post some more. The first (and only) post you've written is a link to your site, that's only semi-relevant to the thread.

To the OP: Now there's a new NEX-5N, which you could consider. If you don't need the new features Sony introduced, this will probably mean you can get an NEX-5 for a cheaper price.

h00ligan
Aug 24, 2011, 06:38 PM
ROFL!! I hear Pentax's 645D is quite "cheap" :)

Leica s2 please! Another poster stated they bought a nex 3 kit for $300 at target.

jji7skyline
Aug 24, 2011, 07:55 PM

I wouldn't buy the Sony if I were you... I'd buy the D3100...

Sony has limited lens range and the image quality is not as good as nikon or canon :)

Badrottie
Aug 25, 2011, 09:08 PM
If you are going to school..why not ask your teacher or students what to buy for your class? Anyway I think Canon Rebel dSLR is better to start learning and it is cheaper too.

Ravaroo
Aug 26, 2011, 02:55 AM
Will, I think you have better options than you realize for that price range.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T3i-Digital-Imaging-Body/dp/B004M170YC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314343756&sr=8-2
this option would be a great fit if you are able to borrow a lens or two from your father.
Not sure what Amazon's prices/shipping to Europe are, but currency rates look to be in your favor
It would cost you 520 to get the t3i kit, providing you with a solid starter lens
Consider it just for the video capabilities alone and it's a worthy choice