Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwphoto

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2006
Hey everyone. I just set up my AirPort and want to use AirPlay but don't have a stereo receiver or any speakers. I've looked at a few of the 2.1 channel computer speaker setups but would like something a little more fulfilling since I'll be using it for the entire living room, not just my desk. I'd think bookshelf type would be perfect (fairly small space) but can't seem to find any that will work without a full on receiver.

Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks-

bwphoto

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2006

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Hey everyone. I just set up my AirPort and want to use AirPlay but don't have a stereo receiver or any speakers. I've looked at a few of the 2.1 channel computer speaker setups but would like something a little more fulfilling since I'll be using it for the entire living room, not just my desk. I'd think bookshelf type would be perfect (fairly small space) but can't seem to find any that will work without a full on receiver.

You are absolutely correct in assuming that self-powered "computer speakers" are quite unsuitable for reproduction in the entire room - even for close listening, their quality is pretty dreadful!. In a small room, bookshelf speakers would be ideal. However, as you surmise, they do require an amplifier to drive them.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
Thanks. Not sure if you caught the part in my post about these types of setups being precisely what I'm trying to avoid. I'm after "real" speakers, not computer speakers, that will work with a single mini stereo.

you will have a hard time finding "Real" speakers that do not require an external amplifier, which is why i recommended the computer speaker route.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
The AP Express supports optical SPDIF digital CD-quality audio output also in addition to stereo analog output, so you could look at some predominantly Japanese mini-hifi systems and you should be able to find one or three that offers optical input (which was very popular during the minidisc era - which was a lot more successful in Japan than here in the west I might add.)

These hifi systems typically have much better sound quality than the generally thoroughly crappy plastic PC audio speakers you'll find in computer stores and the like. Of course, if you don't need a radio, CD player and so on, this approach might be overkill. But it might be something for you to consider, I dunno.

bwphoto

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2006
Thanks again, all. If I end up with something that rocks I'll be sure to post back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.