Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rev.b

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Portugal
As above.

I tried several times holding cmd+s during start-up, and it just loads Lion as usual. I thought refit was the problem, so I uninstalled it and reblessed Macintosh HD with my startup disk.

Any ideas how to enter single user mode? Thanks.

spidey3

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
As above.

I tried several times holding cmd+s during start-up, and it just loads Lion as usual. I thought refit was the problem, so I uninstalled it and reblessed Macintosh HD with my startup disk.

Any ideas how to enter single user mode? Thanks.

Do you have a firmware password configured? I found that this prevented me from getting to either safe mode or single user mode...

Spidey!!!

rev.b

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Portugal
Do you have a firmware password configured? I found that this prevented me from getting to either safe mode or single user mode...

Spidey!!!

Good question. I guess I had it configured in Snow Leopard.
How to disable it without a Lion startup DVD?

rev.b

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Portugal
A little help here disabling firmware password.

I booted Snow Leopard install disk and ran firmware password utility; unticked "Required password to start this computer from another source", applied and reboot; firmware password is still there.

I tried to run the Open firmware password from http://support.apple.com/downloads/Open_Firmware_Password_1_0_2 , but it crashes on Lion.

What am I doing wrong?

rev.b

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Portugal
Thanks, but I just solved it, maybe with the obvious solution.

I booted from the recovery partition, ran the Firmware password utility, and it worked.

Apparently, all previous versions don't work with Lion, even booting from the DVD...

ankh

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2003
Same original problem -- can't enter single-user mode with command-S.
Mid-2011 Mac Mini, came with Lion installed.
Kinesis Ergo keyboard, which may be the problem, but it acts as a standard USB keyboard.

I do _not_ have a firmware password configured.

Any ideas how to get into single-user mode?

(Why? I noticed that although I have 8GB of RAM installed in a 2011 Mini, sometimes the crash reports I get show only 4gb installed, so I want to run memtest in single-user mode for a while)

pkiula

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
Did you ever get a response?

I have File Vault enabled. I start with CMD S pressed. It brings me to password screen. I enter the password, then ENTER, and then immediately CMD S again.

Still the computer boots up fully. Not in Single User mode.

Just how difficult can Mac make this stupid little step?

Welcome any ideas. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.