Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I know this has been discussed just not sure what to search on, but now that I am on Lion, I can not use MTR in Lion however the new version of HBrake works perfect. What is everyone using on Lion for ripping now?

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm using ripit. Had some mixed results with lion but overall a success.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
I know this has been discussed just not sure what to search on, but now that I am on Lion, I can not use MTR in Lion however the new version of HBrake works perfect. What is everyone using on Lion for ripping now?

WinxDVD Ripper for Mac 100% success so far but only ripped like 2 DVDs.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011

Well, depends what you want. Those two applications do entirely different things.

I use MakeMKV to create untouched MKV backups of my DVDs.

radicalcentrist

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008
Portland, OR
Well, depends what you want. Those two applications do entirely different things.

I use MakeMKV to create untouched MKV backups of my DVDs.

This. The only problem I've had is the volume issue with MKVs from MakeMKV in Plex (if there's no 2-channel audio embedded, a stereo TV has very low volume). I solved that by flipping on Audio Hijack during playback of those movies, but it's still a pain.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
MTR 4 is working for me under Lion.

I also use RipIt, but I find MTR to be better with dodgy discs (MTR has so far had success with every DVD that RipIt failed on).

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I've been using RipIt for a year now with no problems. Great software by a great company.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Handbrake + VLC does 80% of all disks and is the fastest

Ripit for the disks HB can't do.

I like the Ripit container file it produces, it means i have a back up of my children's films as the inevitably get wrecked / scratched beyond recovery. Great to have a back up.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Previous setup: DVDFab on my older WinXP PC for ripping (with occasional backup to DVD using DVD Shrink in case my original looks really scratched); transfer the VIDEO_TS directory to my Mac for M4V conversion via HandBrake & VLC.

Current setup: DVDFab for Mac (free ripping to hard drive FTW), leave VIDEO_TS folder on the Mac for HandBrake conversion, shelve the DVD to prevent further scratches.

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Previous setup: DVDFab on my older WinXP PC for ripping (with occasional backup to DVD using DVD Shrink in case my original looks really scratched); transfer the VIDEO_TS directory to my Mac for M4V conversion via HandBrake & VLC.

Current setup: DVDFab for Mac (free ripping to hard drive FTW), leave VIDEO_TS folder on the Mac for HandBrake conversion, shelve the DVD to prevent further scratches.

when did they get the dvdfab for mac! i love and live by this in windows! anydvd is also good, but dvdfab is and has been my best source,

wish it did not cost so dang much though, if u pay for it....

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
Mac DVD Ripper Pro for full rips to .dvdmedia or .iso format. It's like $20.

Handbrake for creating any lossy/converted formats like .mp4. It's free.

asteng88

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
New York
Ripit

I use rip it and handbrake. I have successfully converted all of my DVD's to digital streaming over iTunes and my apple tv. I use an external drive to store all the movies and import them into iTunes. Works perfectly every time.
Also used this on lion and now on ML. No issues as of yet!

Jdtwyo

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2008
Mac DVD Ripper Pro: Absolutely the best. It is a one step solution, and the customers service is awesome. If you run into trouble, just shoot them an email and they get back to you promptly.

Mire

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
Hi, I'm also juggling with this issue since I have my new laptop (with Lion). For number of years I've used Mac The Ripper. Now I have Tried three different rippers: HandBrake, RipIt and Mac DVDRipper Pro. I'm not fully shure If I love the interface/look of HandBrake but as everyone seems to be going for this one, I will try to get use to it.

My question: how about quality of rip? I noticed that MAC DVD RIPPER convert the files in "dvdmedia" format that weight 7.78 GB for a specific film, when I use HandBrake, the default setting convert it in a "m4v" format that weight 621 MG. I would asume that the quality is much better with the "dvdmedia" extension. But I also noticed that once I drag the mv4 format of 621 MG in Toast 11, the burn file weight is expected to be 4.19 GB (so there is a conversion (my comprehension is expending datas that have been compressed). Any comments/suggestion in order to get the best quality possible?

By the way: In Toast 11, you can drag a "dvdmedia" format to burn it, which wasn't working in Toast 9.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
How do I convert a DVD to an MP4 for my ipad 4. I have mac the ripper and handbrake. None of them seem to work. Handbrake can no detect the volume,
mac the ripper does not detect the volume

Normally HandBrake works just fine.

What exact video DVD title do you have a problem with?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.