Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

churin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
My mac is MBA with OS X 10.6.8 and on which W7 is installed using the Bootcamp.

My problem is Windows 7 BSODs(Blue Screen of Death) or has become unbootable after installing the Bootcamp updates. It happened about three months ago and at that time the Windows system was brought back to the state before the update was installed. This time I tried the udate again and see the same problem. I am wondering if any remedy has been devised by now.

churin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
(Readable) Picture of the bugcheck screen please.
Thanks for your reply. The following is the picture of the BSOD screen.
BSOD.jpg

churin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
I have concluded that so far there is no solution for this problem. That mean I have to start from scratch. So I did just that but I skipped making boot camp partition, and I reinstalled the Windows 7 on the existing boot camp partition. It had to be a clean install since the Windows was not bootalbe so that in-place upgrade install was not an option.

When the Windows was previously installed the drivers were installed automatically by responding one prompt, but this time no such prompt was displayed. So, I clicked setup.exe in the boot camp driver to start installing. Then, that ended in BSOD.

I used the restore point and brought the W7 back to that before the Boot camp drivers were installed. Then I tried to install drivers under (Boot Camp Driver Folder)\Boot Camp\Drivers, one by one manually.

The problem encountered were that:
1) Drivers for Intel Chipset could not be installed: "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for instlling this software" is displayed.
2) Under Device Manager / Other devices, there are two items with exclamation marks that are "Coprocessor" and "SM Bus Controller"
3) There is no boot camp icon on the system tray( or notification area).

Despite of the above, everything seems to be working fine, except the problem of 3). I can still switch back to OS X by using "Option" key, and I can set W7 as default os on OS X.

My question is if 1) and 2) are really problems, and how to let the boot camp icon show on the system tray.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
I think what's causing the blue screens is Apple's HFS driver.

What you need to do is install Boot Camp normally, then before restarting disable the HFS driver. Or you could try finding a newer version of the BC driver package.

How to remove AppleHFS & AppleMNT Drivers:
  1. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
  2. Rename AppleHFS.sys & AppleMNT.sys to AppleHFS.sy_ & AppleMNT.sy_
  3. Restart
  4. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
  5. Delete AppleHFS.sy_ & AppleMNT.sy_
  6. Launch regedit
  7. Delete -
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppleHFS]
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppleMNT]

The reason you don't have the tray icon is because the main setup package installs it and the HFS driver (which is also why you haven't crashed yet). All the other files are secondary packages that the main setup runs.

Also not all the drivers are meant for your computer, the Boot Camp driver pack supports many Apple computers.

Last edited:

churin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
I think what's causing the blue screens is Apple's HFS driver.

What you need to do is install Boot Camp normally, then before restarting disable the HFS driver. Or you could try finding a newer version of the BC driver package.

The reason you don't have the tray icon is because the main setup package installs it and the HFS driver (which is also why you haven't crashed yet). All the other files are secondary packages that the main setup runs.

Also not all the drivers are meant for your computer, the Boot Camp driver pack supports many Apple computers.

Let me report first what happened since my last post:
After all, the BSOD happened again. The System Restore was used again and two devices with exclamation marks were added being "Bluetooth USB Host Controller" and "Built-In iSight". Having said the above, my reply is as follows:

I could not find any of AppleHFS.sys & AppleMNT.sys to AppleHFS.sy_ & AppleMNT.sy_. I did not see none of those entries on the registry.

Is the "HFS driver" referred to Paragon HFS+ for Windows 9.0? If so this software(driver) has not been installed yet.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
I could not find any of AppleHFS.sys & AppleMNT.sys to AppleHFS.sy_ & AppleMNT.sy_. I did not see none of those entries on the registry.

Is the "HFS driver" referred to Paragon HFS+ for Windows 9.0? If so this software(driver) has not been installed yet.

That's because the main setup installs those, and you never ran it.

Paul Thurrott documented this. It's the trackpad driver. Before installing the boot camp drivers, plug in a mouse and disable your trackpad. Once the install is done, you can re-enable the trackpad.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/macbook-air-windows-7-part-imperfect-storm-135952

See the Windows configuration section of that article.

Danny, that's possible but it's much more likely that the HFS driver is causing it.

--------------

The Boot Camp 4.01 driver package very likely fixed any BSoD's for the Air in that version. I'll upload it for you a little later since think it's only available for Lion users.

churin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
That's because the main setup installs those, and you never ran it.
OK, I got it.

The Boot Camp 4.01 driver package very likely fixed any BSoD's for the Air in that version. I'll upload it for you a little later since think it's only available for Lion users.

Could you post when the Boot Camp software v.4.01 becomes available for download?

churin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Paul Thurrott documented this. It's the trackpad driver. Before installing the boot camp drivers, plug in a mouse and disable your trackpad. Once the install is done, you can re-enable the trackpad.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/macbook-air-windows-7-part-imperfect-storm-135952

See the Windows configuration section of that article.
I reviewed the link article. It indicates that one of the Windows Updates causes this BSOD. Another word, it does not specifically says that it is the Boot Camp Software update v.3.2. Windows updates are MS created software whereas the Boot Camp Software is Apple's. Do you think the BSOD was caused by the Boot Camp software update as can be done by Windows Update?

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
I reviewed the link article. It indicates that one of the Windows Updates causes this BSOD. Another word, it does not specifically says that it is the Boot Camp Software update v.3.2. Windows updates are MS created software whereas the Boot Camp Software is Apple's. Do you think the BSOD was caused by the Boot Camp software update as can be done by Windows Update?

The underlying cause of a Windows blue screen is always either hardware or a driver. Apple manages the drivers for these systems. A Windows update may trigger the blue screen, but a driver is the root cause. The drivers, in this case, come from the Bootcamp installer.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
If possible, I recommend you start over and re-install Windows 7 & SP1 before installing the latest Boot Camp Driver Package (link below). This way you get rid of the mess left from the old Boot Camp driver package.

If your so inclined, you can download a Official Windows 7 ISO w/SP1 from here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

---------

This is the Windows driver package Lion's Boot Camp Assistant downloaded for my MacBook Air.
I believe they should work on any Mac capable of running Lion (any Intel Mac with a 64-bit CPU).
  • Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TJX6ZTVR
  • Description: Apple Boot Camp v4.0.1 Windows Driver Support Package
  • Name: "Boot_Camp 4.0.1_(WindowsSupport).7z"
  • Size: 485,800,243 bytes
  • SHA-1: 5b4e3833835dc0e8a1be74a175c1894fcc093b77
Please only download this if you need it. I'm not sure how MegaUpload handles large downloads on non-paid accounts.

churin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
I tried Boot Camp Software v.4.01 but it resulted in the same BSOD.

Next, I tried AppleHFS driver deletion method as quoted in Quad5Ny's post above. And that worked.

Now, the Boot Camp icon is back to the system tray. I installed Paragon HFS+ for Windows 9.0 so that I can read/write on the HFS drive from Windows 7. The Device Manager shows that everything is working fine.

I thank everyone very much for your help.

nox-uk

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2012
Have had this today - but figured a different workaround.

Rather than renaming those files, I went into device manager and disabled all the disks in the raid array. This also sorted it, and let me read my non raided hfs disk too. Which I imagine renaming those files will stop. I think the driver is fine, unless it's trying to read disks setup in a raid volume...

Nox

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.