PDA

View Full Version : Price Drop: Apple Offering Refurbished iPad 1 for $299

MacRumors
Aug 22, 2011, 01:42 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/22/price-drop-apple-offering-refurbished-ipad-1-for-299/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/cheapipad.jpg

Apple has lowered the price of a refurbished entry-level 16GB iPad 1 (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad) to $299.

The price seems to have been dropped this weekend and is the lowest price we've seen for an iPad direct from Apple. All Apple's refurbished products come with the same warranty as new ones and include a new battery and aluminum outer shell.

This weekend HP slashed the price of its now-cancelled (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/18/hp-to-spin-off-pc-business-as-sales-stagnate/) TouchPad tablet to $99 in order to clear stock in the wake of its corporate reorganization. By all accounts the TouchPad has been selling extremely well (http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2011/0822/HP-Touchpad-tablet-plummets-to-99-sells-like-gangbusters) at that heavily reduced price point. Apple continues to sell every iPad it can make.

Thanks Ronald!

Article Link: Price Drop: Apple Offering Refurbished iPad 1 for $299 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/22/price-drop-apple-offering-refurbished-ipad-1-for-299/)

rdowns
Aug 22, 2011, 01:46 PM
All Apple's refurbished products come with the same warranty as new ones and include a new battery and aluminum outer shell.

Don't they all come with an aluminum outer shell?

matbook101
Aug 22, 2011, 01:46 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/22/price-drop-apple-offering-refurbished-ipad-1-for-299/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/cheapipad.jpg)

Apple has lowered the price of a refurbished entry-level 16GB iPad 1 (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad) to $299.

The price seems to have been dropped this weekend and is the lowest price we've seen for an iPad direct from Apple. All Apple's refurbished products come with the same warranty as new ones and include a new battery and aluminum outer shell.

This weekend HP slashed the price of its now-cancelled (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/18/hp-to-spin-off-pc-business-as-sales-stagnate/) TouchPad tablet to $99 in order to clear stock in the wake of its corporate reorganization. By all accounts the TouchPad has been selling extremely well (http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2011/0822/HP-Touchpad-tablet-plummets-to-99-sells-like-gangbusters) at that heavily reduced price point. Apple continues to sell every iPad it can make.

Thanks Ronald!

Article Link: Price Drop: Apple Offering Refurbished iPad 1 for $299 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/22/price-drop-apple-offering-refurbished-ipad-1-for-299/)

Wow. Actually that's nice i'll probably get one for "at-home" iPad. You know to sit by the tv with the apple tv. It'll look good.

chrmjenkins
Aug 22, 2011, 01:48 PM

The battery and shell are new, I take the wording to mean.

stevejobbers

I think the 'new' applies to both the battery AND shell :)

snebes

This statement is saying that the refurbished products get a new aluminum body. Especially since a new part number (and I assume new serial number) is laser etched on the aluminum.

Where as if you get a refurb from other companies, many times it is the same "shell" with a fixed interior (if that is even needed).

matbook101

All Apple's refurbished products come with the same warranty as new ones and include a new battery and aluminum outer shell.

Read the whole thing please.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Aug 22, 2011, 01:51 PM
$199 and they may get a lot more sales in

LimeiBook86
Aug 22, 2011, 01:51 PM
Well that's not a bad price for a almost-new iPad. :) Personally I wouldn't mind Apple selling more than one revision of the iPad at a time, similar to how the iPhone 3GS is still being sold.

I can envision an iPad 2 for $399 and an iPad 3 for $499. At least that's just my two cents... selling the original for $199 or $249 would do really well. I myself bought (or tried to buy) an HP TouchPad simply to use as an interactive photo frame for my Grandmother, purely because of the price.

mms13
Aug 22, 2011, 02:04 PM
Anddddd it's already sold out

----------

Don't think that will ever happen...I'm pretty sure parts alone run Apple $270. They're barely turning any profit as is.

justinfreid
Aug 22, 2011, 02:34 PM
The original iPad is still three times as expensive as the HP TouchPad.

x13gamer
Aug 22, 2011, 02:35 PM
That only brings the resale value of my 1st Gen iPad (32gb+3g) down some more. Thanks

tasset
Aug 22, 2011, 02:39 PM
LOL. Oh Apple. You can't stand for the media spotlight to be on someone else for a SECOND!

hobo.hopkins
Aug 22, 2011, 02:47 PM
LOL. Oh Apple. You can't stand for the media spotlight to be on someone else for a SECOND!

Or they might want to also clear out their supply as much as possible.

ctdonath
Aug 22, 2011, 02:56 PM

And it still sold faster.

duk
Aug 22, 2011, 03:05 PM
"Apple continues to sell every iPad it can make"

Not true, I was out shopping this weekend, and every store I was in had an abundance of all models of ipad 2 sitting in the display case. Best buy, target and walmart all had plenty of unsold stock sitting on the shelf.

justinfreid
Aug 22, 2011, 03:11 PM
And it still sold faster.

Exactly.

I wonder how the original iPad runs WebOS considering that the iPad 2 was supposed to be double as quick as the TouchPad.

stevenisHAUNTED
Aug 22, 2011, 03:20 PM

Not true, I was out shopping this weekend, and every store I was in had an abundance of all models of ipad 2 sitting in the display case. Best buy, target and walmart all had plenty of unsold stock sitting on the shelf.
And do you know exactly how long they have been sitting there?

I know just about every store that carries the iPad 2 in my area hardly had any in stock due to overwhelming demand.

biohead
Aug 22, 2011, 04:13 PM
Wish this one on the UK store too. I'd have snapped one at that price.

Glial
Aug 22, 2011, 04:30 PM

Hence, they have been sold by Apple to "Best buy, target and walmart"

ctdonath
Aug 22, 2011, 04:31 PM

Admittedly every outlet doesn't have people lined up waiting for the next shipment to head for the shelf.

There's a difference between "a shipment came in and will be gone in a few days" vs. "they've been sitting there a while and we're concerned shelf-space costs are eating into our potential profit". Ask 'em how long that "plenty of unsold stock" has been sitting on the shelf.

*LTD*
Aug 22, 2011, 05:43 PM

Says a lot, doesn't it?

Apple obsolete devices are outselling the competition's current ones (and in some cases their best effort.) Take the 3GS, for example.

Yamcha
Aug 22, 2011, 06:07 PM
You guys are not taking into consideration how many Refurbished 16GB iPads Apple had in the inventory right? I doubt there were many remaining, unless the failure rate of iPads is high.. Refurbished as you know are generally ones that were defective or returned..

So long story short, the Touchpad sold in about 2 days ? and Best Buy alone had 270,000 in the inventory, god knows how many were produced..

I don't think its fair to say that Apple sold any quicker, at least not without knowing how many Apple had in its inventory..

I honestly think for $99 HP Touchpad must have sold quicker, you can't even get a netbook for $99, its an amazing price for a product like that..

accessoriesguy
Aug 22, 2011, 06:07 PM
oh great, my dad's going to be bugging me about this. He wont buy it, he will just talk about buying it for a couple of months :(

nate13
Aug 22, 2011, 06:28 PM
9 years ago, my first iPod cost this much. For a 10 GB. With a touch wheel. And FIREWIRE.

And I still use it.

From that perspective, this is a STELLAR price. I love technology :p

jonnysods
Aug 22, 2011, 06:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5302b)

Crud. Nothing on the Canadian store!

Illumination
Aug 22, 2011, 06:56 PM
Says a lot, doesn't it?

Apple obsolete devices are outselling the competition's current ones (and in some cases their best effort.) Take the 3GS, for example.
Obsolete? How on earth is the iPad 1 obsolete? Please elaborate.

dewski
Aug 22, 2011, 07:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I work at best buy in the warehouse. I stock the iPads on the floor. They seem to be the only vendor that actually knows how much to ship us.

The cages are full, but we still receive about 150 iPads a week. Just enough
To keep the cages full.

winston1236
Aug 22, 2011, 11:10 PM
im ashamed to say i didnt know they were still even selling the 1! :)

BergerFan
Aug 23, 2011, 02:25 AM
Just serves to demonstrate how far ahead Apple is in Mindshare, when a $299(heck, even the original $499) pricepoint flies off the shelves as quick as a $99 price point for HP's finest.
I'd guess there'd be mass rioting amongst consumers, if Apple dropped to that price!

jmpnop
Aug 23, 2011, 04:01 AM
Already out of stock!

Definitely gonna pick one of these, extra $200 over Touchpad is simply worth:D

Mr. Gates
Aug 23, 2011, 06:17 AM

I'm guessing you have one and got protective of your purchase ??

He simply means that 2 is out ....so....you can figure it out from there ..Right?

nastebu
Aug 23, 2011, 08:29 AM
I honestly think for $99 HP Touchpad must have sold quicker, you can't even get a netbook for $99, its an amazing price for a product like that..

Sure, this is a classic business strategy. Sell at a loss and make it up in volume.

ctdonath
Aug 23, 2011, 10:39 AM
[Apple] seem to be the only vendor that actually knows how much to ship us.

A subtle and remarkable insight.

jmpnop
Aug 23, 2011, 10:57 AM
Sure, this is a classic business strategy. Sell at a loss and make it up in volume.

Touchpad was a flop, what other than selling it at lower price do expect them to do?

wixdfast2
Aug 23, 2011, 12:04 PM
Says a lot, doesn't it?

Considering that HP is discontinuing that product, I'm amazed that anyone bought it. What happens in a few months, when you're A.) Stuck with the exact same WebOS, B.) Need patch or system update due to a unseen bug, C.) Or support from their niche market from the fools that actually bought one of them in this "firesale".

I saw both the 16GB and the 32GB on sale on tons websites and didn't flinch a second. There's never going to be a better App store than Apples, and considering if you switch to another OS, such as Android or WebOS, apps that you would normally use across the platforms, will have to be purchased again, which then makes me think if those apps will ever be updated.

The HP tablet will eventually be a nice paperweight considering it will never have an OS update for: Bugs, Glitches, Functionality, or any support of any kind.

I'm not an iPad owner, but I think that those who are going to purchase a TouchPad, should realize that it may not be as good of a deal as it appears.

doug1820
Aug 23, 2011, 01:03 PM
oh great, my dad's going to be bugging me about this. He wont buy it, he will just talk about buying it for a couple of months :(

That's just like my Dad, he was crazy about getting a touchpad when it hit 99 dollars then come 5am Sunday morning, fast asleep. Then made me spend all weekend tracking one down, and when i found one at Barnes and Noble he tells me he doesn't want it anymore.

Illumination
Aug 23, 2011, 02:16 PM

He simply means that 2 is out ....so....you can figure it out from there ..Right?

No, I do not own an iPad. But the iPad 2 does not magically make the iPad 1 obsolete.

SMDrew
Aug 23, 2011, 02:31 PM

Ask all 1st-Gen iPod Touch and iPhone 2g owners their thoughts on Apple's 1st-gen support strategy.

If it's not obsolete yet, Apple will make damn sure it is by iOS 5-dot-whatever.

$300 for a soon-to-be-obsolete, soon-to-be-unsupported platform is too rich for my blood. $100 sounds about right. ;)

phairphan
Aug 23, 2011, 03:42 PM
I suspect they're getting ready to introduce refurb iPad 2s. Seems about the same time frame as for the iPad 1.

Or they might want to also clear out their supply as much as possible.

dewski
Aug 23, 2011, 05:50 PM
Considering that HP is discontinuing that product, I'm amazed that anyone bought it. What happens in a few months, when you're A.) Stuck with the exact same WebOS, B.) Need patch or system update due to a unseen bug, C.) Or support from their niche market from the fools that actually bought one of them in this "firesale".

I saw both the 16GB and the 32GB on sale on tons websites and didn't flinch a second. There's never going to be a better App store than Apples, and considering if you switch to another OS, such as Android or WebOS, apps that you would normally use across the platforms, will have to be purchased again, which then makes me think if those apps will ever be updated.

The HP tablet will eventually be a nice paperweight considering it will never have an OS update for: Bugs, Glitches, Functionality, or any support of any kind.

I'm not an iPad owner, but I think that those who are going to purchase a TouchPad, should realize that it may not be as good of a deal as it appears.

i bought one with the plan of keeping it, it worked very well, the only complaint was the lack of apps. (which i knew before purchase.)

for 100 dollars, i think it is worth it just for web browsing, email and calendars.
so even if they never updated the OS it would be fine.

also there are plans to port android to it, in which case it would be a steal to pay 100 for an android tablet

vastoholic
Aug 23, 2011, 06:19 PM
My mom has been debating getting my dad one of these and I think I may go ahead and do it for her with this price. He's not exactly a big electronics guy, but he uses my old Toshiba laptop at home to sit on the couch and read his forums. I'm still debating it because I don't know how well his fingers will be able to navigate the small icons on some webpages. I think I will at least get him the keyboard to go with it because he posts a lot on different forums. Hell I could even get him a newspaper subscription on there if he wants.

ChrisTX
Aug 24, 2011, 08:09 AM

As an owner of both the iPad 1, and iPad 2, I'll consider the first gen iPad 1 obsolete when ever the competition releases a competing product. So far, no other tablet even comes close. The touchpad wouldn't have needed a $99 price tag if it was flying off the shelf as is.

diamond.g
Aug 24, 2011, 09:11 AM

Says who?

foodog
Aug 24, 2011, 11:57 AM

They sold everyone they had for 299.00 why drop the price anymore?

----------

Says who?

Says wixdfast2 :-)

JMcDon1007
Aug 24, 2011, 07:00 PM

I don't know what business school you came from, but I'd ask for a refund if I were you!! :D:D:p

A company can't make a dime if the sell at a loss. All that means is the more they sell, the more they lose.

Now, a "classic business strategy", is selling at a REDUCED profit in hopes you make more $$$ in margin, albeit at a reduced rate. A thin line that Wall Street doesn't always like.