PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5 Hard Shell Cases Begin to Appear for Sale

MacRumors
Aug 22, 2011, 11:38 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/23/iphone-5-hard-shell-cases-begin-to-appear-for-sale/)

New "iPhone 5" cases based on the leaked design document (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/26/new-case-designs-revive-unlikely-iphone-5-design/) have started appearing online. True Supplier (http://www.truesupplier.com/) has posted a new "hard shell" case design for the iPhone 5, in addition to the soft case designs (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/29/new-iphone-5-cases-suggest-longer-and-wider-form-factor/) we'd seen previously.

These new cases show the same tapered back design of the leaked design document, as well as the mute switch being moved to the other side.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/case1-500x424.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/case1.jpg)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/case2-500x305.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/case2.jpg)
We'd previously had renders made (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/10/this-could-be-what-apples-iphone-5-looks-like/) based on the design document. The general size and shape of the device should accurately reflect the leaked specs, but details such as the screen size and home button shape were based on the subjective choices of our artist.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/iphone5-3-500x375.jpg

(http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/iphone5-3.jpg)

The production and sale of these cases suggests that at least some Chinese case manufacturers are confident enough in the leaked case design specifications that they are willing to gamble some amount of money in creating these early cases. There is an enormous financial incentive to have inventory on the launch day of any new Apple device, as Apple doesn't provide suppliers with detailed designs specifications until after the public launch of the device.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Hard Shell Cases Begin to Appear for Sale (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/23/iphone-5-hard-shell-cases-begin-to-appear-for-sale/)

JonyHolt
Aug 22, 2011, 11:46 PM
Meh, I really hope it looks something like this. Although the general small size of the ear location is pretty bad.

arn
Aug 22, 2011, 11:53 PM
Here's a slightly different case with the headphone hole

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/2dt2-562.jpg

TonyRockyHorror
Aug 22, 2011, 11:53 PM
Looks a LOT like the...original iPhone.

tarproductions
Aug 22, 2011, 11:54 PM
Was the mute switch moved to the other side to prevent another anntenagate?

Yumunum
Aug 22, 2011, 11:56 PM
Today's just iPhone 5 day, isn't it?

winston1236
Aug 22, 2011, 11:56 PM
looking good. fix the antennae and a redesign and ill be buying

oiuh151
Aug 23, 2011, 12:01 AM

I doubt the antenna will even be on the outside given the tapered design.

pancakedrawer
Aug 23, 2011, 12:11 AM

I agree. Many people really liked the original iPhone design too. Does anyone know how they might get around having a piece of plastic to allow for 3G reception like the original iPhone and 3G iPads? It makes the devices seem so poorly thought through.

AIP5
Aug 23, 2011, 12:13 AM
lol, that last paragraph is literally from the Macrumors post with the original case leaks.

Okay, so it's looking the case makers believe the mute switch (or maybe another switch :eek:) has been relocated to the right. But the volume rockers seem the same size, and they're still on the left.

Extremely pleased with the tapered back though!

applefanDrew
Aug 23, 2011, 12:17 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So back to volume rockers instead of the split buttons? That kinda sucks. I like the four's buttons. But I'm buying iPhone 5 regardless. :)

AIP5
Aug 23, 2011, 12:28 AM
lol, the site (Truesupplier) has on sale iPhone 5 replacement batteries, camera modules with LEDs, proximity sensor cable, and the audio/volume flex cables on sale along with the cases...

Uhh.... not sure if I would give them my credit card info, but interesting.

Djlild7hina
Aug 23, 2011, 12:48 AM
it looks awfully similar to a ipod touch case... haha but why would they move the mute switch to the other side?

pewra
Aug 23, 2011, 01:09 AM
I agree. Many people really liked the original iPhone design too. Does anyone know how they might get around having a piece of plastic to allow for 3G reception like the original iPhone and 3G iPads? It makes the devices seem so poorly thought through.

There's no way to 'work around' metal's conductivity, you're stuck with that design constraint.

acslater017
Aug 23, 2011, 01:12 AM

Well they could put the antenna on the outside of the phone body, and use a super-strong panel of glass for the back.;)

Carlanga
Aug 23, 2011, 01:24 AM
I don't see this as a gamble; Making one of these probably costs like 2cents of plastic which they will later retail for $10-30 so its HUGE profits and I guess if the design changes they can just melt the plastic for re-use or sell it to a recycling plant and have no net loss...

jaredhimself
Aug 23, 2011, 01:31 AM
Mute/Vibrate switch is more than likely being moved to better support the added photo capture functionality in iOS 5. I have tried to push the switch instead of the volume up button more than once when trying to take a picture.

pancakedrawer
Aug 23, 2011, 01:33 AM
There's no way to 'work around' metal's conductivity, you're stuck with that design constraint.

Exactly, so why then is everyone assuming the renders that show a full metal back will work?

Sorry that this is off topic to the thread.

pewra
Aug 23, 2011, 01:37 AM
Exactly, so why then is everyone assuming the renders that show a full metal back will work?

It's not going to happen, the half-and-half look of the original iPhone wouldn't fly with Apple as it is now. It's entirely possible that they will remain with the external antenna design.

There was never an antenna problem with the iPhone 4.

moel
Aug 23, 2011, 02:07 AM

I'm afraid even I can't believe that..we just got them at work and there clearly is if you dont have a case for them.

pancakedrawer
Aug 23, 2011, 02:14 AM
It's not going to happen, the half-and-half look of the original iPhone wouldn't fly with Apple as it is now. It's entirely possible that they will remain with the external antenna design.

Couldn't agree more

I'm afraid even I can't believe that..we just got them at work and there clearly is if you dont have a case for them.

Couldn't disagree more. I used the free 'bumper' with mine for a week and didn't notice any difference. Other than that i've never had any issues and I don't use any case. (perhaps I'm just holding it correctly ;))
I understand that workplaces often don't care too much about spending, but surely they would wait until the iPhone 5 came out before buying everyone one? Even if they didn't like it the iPhone 4 would be much cheaper...

moel
Aug 23, 2011, 02:53 AM
Sadly I did tell them that, but here in the UK you don't get the phone free on the contract, until 12 months after release.

So we got the handsets for free, which I don't think you can get them for cheaper... ;) besides the guys 3GS's were dying on their arse battery wise.

Maybe I could have phrased my antenna issue more succinctly, which is that in comparison to the 3GS, in a room for room test has far better signal than the 4. Also bridging that gap makes the signal drop like Katie Prices knickers at a mano a mano competition.

pewra
Aug 23, 2011, 04:10 AM

There's no issue, only the perception of an issue.

I have used an iPhone 4 for 10 months now, never had one dropped call, and only have signal issues when I'm in the underground (as everyone does). I know of not one single person that has had any 'signal issues' with their iPhone 4. Most are not even aware of this 'antennagate' crap.

Just a couple of blogs making a whole lot of noise.

burnout8488
Aug 23, 2011, 04:41 AM
There is no reason this can't be the next gen iPod touch case.

arn
Aug 23, 2011, 05:06 AM

I have used an iPhone 4 for 10 months now, never had one dropped call, and only have signal issues when I'm in the underground (as everyone does). I know of not one single person that has had any 'signal issues' with their iPhone 4. Most are not even aware of this 'antennagate' crap.

It very much depends on your geographic location, which is why you and your neighbors might not have issue.

I use the iPhone 4 without a case, but in low signal areas, like my house, I have to be aware of how I am holding it, as I can cause the signal to drop out completely.

arn

Mr. Gates
Aug 23, 2011, 05:52 AM
Now, lets keep out fingers crossed for the Matte Black finish !

http://bluefaqs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/iphone-concept.jpeg

lazyrighteye
Aug 23, 2011, 05:59 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Especially with as many rumors saying that the next iPhone will look much like the current iPhone 4, could all of this case hype not just be for the next gen iPod touch?

pewra
Aug 23, 2011, 06:31 AM
It very much depends on your geographic location, which is why you and your neighbors might not have issue.

I use the iPhone 4 without a case, but in low signal areas, like my house, I have to be aware of how I am holding it, as I can cause the signal to drop out completely.

In the past year I have lived in both rural Australia (on the notoriously bad Optus network), and in the Melbourne (inner city) area. I worked at an Optus reseller for a period of months; there was no disproportionate number of people returning iPhone 4s. Sure we had returns, but it wasn't higher than any other handset, just people genuinely not getting service at their home/work/etc.

I'm inclined to think that it's a combination of AT&Ts reportedly abysmal network, and the fact that people can associate a physical action with the number of 'bars' their phone displays. With both the original and 3G iPhones, in low enough signal, you can force a call to drop by cupping the base of the phone with your hand. The reverse can be achieved by holding the handset upside down, giving the antenna getting a clearer line of sight.

By the same token, I've had people tell me how much better calls sound after having the iPhone 'repaired'. More often than not, it was easier for the store just to hold onto the iPhone for a few days, return it, and let the customers mind fill in the blanks.

Spong Mincer
Aug 23, 2011, 07:54 AM

My experience is the total opposite. EVERY person I know with the iPhone 4 has had problems with reception. That's the reason I didn't bother upgrading, well that and the lack of 64gb. Still using my 3GS. Clearly Apple know there is an issue or they wouldn't given away free bumpers and had the press conference where they showed other phones being throttled and suffering the 'same' problem. I love Apples stuff but I am not blind to the fact that there is an issue with the antenna on the iPhone 4. It obvious that if you use it in an area with strong signal you will probably be ok but once that signal gets a bit weaker, one little finger on that gap on the bottom left and the reception is lost. I've tried it on every iPhone 4 I've had a go on and it happens every time.

technopimp
Aug 23, 2011, 07:56 AM

I will raise my hand as a counter-example to your statement. If I hold my iPhone 4 where it covers the bottom corner, I can watch my bars go from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 and then "No Signal" almost as fast as you can read that. I don't WANT to use a case, but it's either that or not be able to use the phone, you know, as a phone.

So, I guess you now know one person with the issue. :D

jfrancis04
Aug 23, 2011, 07:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Especially with as many rumors saying that the next iPhone will look much like the current iPhone 4, could all of this case hype not just be for the next gen iPod touch?
Keep wondering the same thing. No one ever seems to have a good answer for it though.

Navdakilla
Aug 23, 2011, 08:09 AM
Where there's smoke there's fire.. rumors are picking up!! Me likey

I'm a big fan of the iphone camera and all the cool photography apps, a 8mp camera is perfect, I will be buying for sure if that's the case

applefanDrew
Aug 23, 2011, 08:11 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe they keep the glass back but it curves (tapers) on the edge. There were reports of curved glass cutting machines.

aeaglex07
Aug 23, 2011, 09:28 AM
I will raise my hand as a counter-example to your statement. If I hold my iPhone 4 where it covers the bottom corner, I can watch my bars go from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 and then "No Signal" almost as fast as you can read that. I don't WANT to use a case, but it's either that or not be able to use the phone, you know, as a phone.

So, I guess you now know one person with the issue. :D

thank you I have the same problem on both of my iPhone 4's. i guess some people are either in denial or we must be holding it wrong LOL

rness024
Aug 23, 2011, 09:55 AM
I think these cases are just not right. Here's my reason, as simple it seems.

There is no way apple goes back to the 3G/3GS style volume button configuration. the volume button on my 3G fell off!!! not a good design, I think apple is leaking these cases in china to throw people off. I believe the rumors that the phone will look more like the iphone4...

Thex1138
Aug 23, 2011, 10:08 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I still reckon it's iPod Touch...

accessoriesguy
Aug 23, 2011, 10:24 AM
alright we got the cases, now we just need the phone... :p

msb3079
Aug 23, 2011, 11:05 AM
It has to be the iPod Touch.

acslater017
Aug 23, 2011, 11:41 AM
I don't see this as a gamble; Making one of these probably costs like 2cents of plastic which they will later retail for $10-30 so its HUGE profits and I guess if the design changes they can just melt the plastic for re-use or sell it to a recycling plant and have no net loss...

Well if you turn out to be wrong, you're also wasting your time, wasting the use of your fancy equipment, wasting man-hours, transportation/shipping if you're sending these out to stores...

Anonymous Freak
Aug 23, 2011, 12:20 PM
As much as I'd love to see the edge-to-edge screen, I just can't see it happening. The iMac has a huge border, the MacBooks have huge borders, and the iPad has a huge border. Other companies have made slim border displays for some time. And if ANY company was going to do it, you'd think it would be Apple. But we have yet to see a slim border display of any kind from Apple. (The 12" PowerBook G4 was pretty darned good, I was hoping to see a MacBook Air with a slimmer border so that what is now the 11" MBA could be a 12" MBA instead.)

morespce54
Aug 23, 2011, 12:21 PM

Agree... ;) Why do a "different" case then the one they sell for iPhone 4 then?

Actually, they should just print a different batch of boxes and label them "iPhone 5" instead...

malnar
Aug 23, 2011, 12:40 PM

Maybe they keep the glass back but it curves (tapers) on the edge. There were reports of curved glass cutting machines.
Exactly! Someone else finally thought of what I've been thinking. I don't know why everyone is assuming that just because it's a new design it has to be metal. I assumed it would NOT be metal because we know it causes problems with the signal. The iPod Touch gets away with it because they moved the wifi antenna close to the glass (from what I understand) and you don't hold that to your face like you do an iPhone, so they can't use that in this case. But glass is pretty much transparent to radio signals, as is plastic, so I'm guessing it's glass again, but another version of gorilla glass, or the much-loathed plastic of the 3G/S design.

But, as others have been pointing out, there's absolutely no reason this can't be the new iPod Touch. Just because it takes a new design form doesn't mean it can't be a Touch (headphone jack on top, dual speakers, flash, mute switch, etc. What about those would preclude Apple from putting them into a Touch?)

arn
Aug 23, 2011, 01:33 PM
I'm inclined to think that it's a combination of AT&Ts reportedly abysmal network, and the fact that people can associate a physical action with the number of 'bars' their phone displays. With both the original and 3G iPhones, in low enough signal, you can force a call to drop by cupping the base of the phone with your hand

AT&T is a large market.

Difference from the 3GS/Original and the iPhone 4 is the difference between "cupping" and "holding".

arn

2 Replies
Aug 23, 2011, 02:39 PM

You do understand that your limited circle of friends' experience does not define the user experience as a whole, right?

There were enough users contacting Apple about their problems that Jobs cut-short his vacation and called the press conference to personally placate those having issues by giving away free 'bumpers'.
Apple also had been noted to slightly modify the initial antenna design to reduce the problem.

No company takes those types of steps if there wasn't a problem at all.
(Especially not a company, such as Apple, that is so concerned about a perceived image of perfection in it's products.)
:rolleyes:

larryw
Aug 23, 2011, 04:04 PM

Let's also not forget the $100K+ it takes to make the tooling to form these. And since every tier of the distribution channel takes a larger and larger slice of the selling price, the manufacturer needs to sell a bunch of them just to break even. This is a huge gamble

nylonsteel
Aug 23, 2011, 05:38 PM
re tapered case makers
sorry to say you're counting chicks even before the eggs are laid

dawnrazor
Aug 23, 2011, 09:01 PM
Image (http://bluefaqs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/iphone-concept.jpeg)

Look what fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down :eek:

iEnvy
Aug 23, 2011, 09:27 PM
I like the ipod touch inspired volume buttons.

MarkIce
Aug 23, 2011, 10:04 PM
I can't believe it. Not sure why you guys won't admit it. Locked into contracts you don't want to buy out? No cash?

The iPhone 4 is the best phone on the planet by far. Dropped calls are rare. It works in most countries. It does not have to be tied to the isolated CDMA system. It's reliable. The OS is the best.

Buy an iPhone 4 and enjoy your phone! Or buy a 5, because I'm sure they will be better.

outlawarth
Aug 23, 2011, 10:15 PM
So this thing tapers slightly from top to bottom? If so then let me say it again: it'll be a pain to use in landscape mode. Or am I seeing it wrong?

dialed1
Aug 23, 2011, 10:29 PM
I don't care what it looks like as long as it has a bigger screen! :):apple:

Wblakewright
Aug 24, 2011, 12:04 AM
I got the 4 when they very first came out and some issues including reception. But when I took it in, they gave me a new one and it has never had any issues at all. I can't even lose signal if I try.

pewra
Aug 24, 2011, 01:18 AM
By the same token, I've had people tell me how much better calls sound after having the iPhone 'repaired'. More often than not, it was easier for the store just to hold onto the iPhone for a few days, return it, and let the customers mind fill in the blanks.

I got the 4 when they very first came out and some issues including reception. But when I took it in, they gave me a new one and it has never had any issues at all. I can't even lose signal if I try.

Yup.

whooleytoo
Aug 24, 2011, 08:37 AM
(crosses fingers) Please not the tapered back. Please not the tapered back...

foodog
Aug 24, 2011, 10:59 AM

Anntenagate wasn't even a real issue

----------

[QUOTE=Spong Mincer;13229031]My experience is the total opposite. EVERY person I know with the iPhone 4 has had problems with reception. That's the reason I didn't bother upgrading, well that and the lack of 64gb. Still using my 3GS. Clearly Apple know there is an issue or they wouldn't given away free bumpers.... QUOTE]

I have the exact opposite experiance of you. No one I know with an iP4 has had reception problems.

The free bumper was a gimmick.

JMPATLANTA
Aug 24, 2011, 02:12 PM
Big deal. I ordered one of the clear back with black edged hard cases on their site. It was only ~$12 and change with shipping. When the i4 came out, the cheap cases were the only ones available here in the U.S. and I had to use one until Incase finally released the i4 Slider. I would imagine it will be the same way with the i5 when it hits. I plan on getting the i5 as soon as I can get one in my hands and if this case fits, I will use it, if not I will just laugh and not eat lunch that day to offset the wasted $12 bucks.

MacinDoc
Aug 24, 2011, 04:28 PM
Big deal. I ordered one of the clear back with black edged hard cases on their site. It was only ~$12 and change with shipping. When the i4 came out, the cheap cases were the only ones available here in the U.S. and I had to use one until Incase finally released the i4 Slider. I would imagine it will be the same way with the i5 when it hits. I plan on getting the i5 as soon as I can get one in my hands and if this case fits, I will use it, if not I will just laugh and not eat lunch that day to offset the wasted $12 bucks.
The problem is that supporting companies who do this helps them to rip off other consumers. If we stop supporting them with our dollars, they'll be less inclined to try to mislead consumers in the future by making false claims.

j4bles
Aug 24, 2011, 04:34 PM
The free bumper was a gimmick.

You can't be serious. The iPhone was out for weeks before they started giving a way the free cases. And in the beginning, it wasn't just their crappy bumper case. They made an app that you could order an inDesign or whatever popular case manufacturer and get a quality 3rd party case if you already bought the phone.

If the bumper was given away to begin with, then you could call it a gimmick.

misterbigbig
Aug 25, 2011, 05:54 PM
lol you people know really nothing about china. i lived there several years and did business.

if you knew chinese male business men you would know they have no creativity, dumb as it can get. but when they smell business, they will do just anything.

of course they will produce iPhone5 shell cases. because some idiots will buy it. and as long as they can make a buck, they will make it. that's why they are grown: to make money.

Susanna03
Feb 3, 2012, 11:50 PM
Hi to all, Hard again iPhone 5 cases are the most fashionable and come in the biggest range of designs. They provide good security to the again and sides of the iPhone like the fender situation but once again do not provide as much security for the screen as a set situation. Thank you.

iphone 5 cases (http://www.eiphone5cases.com/)

Yumunum
Feb 4, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hi to all, Hard again iPhone 5 cases are the most fashionable and come in the biggest range of designs. They provide good security to the again and sides of the iPhone like the fender situation but once again do not provide as much security for the screen as a set situation. Thank you.

iphone 5 accessories (http://www.eiphone5cases.com/iphone-5-accessories.html)

Wow, really?

Supa_Fly
Feb 5, 2012, 06:28 PM
(crosses fingers) Please not the tapered back. Please not the tapered back...

Agreed!

more importantly:
OOO integration for Exchange ActiveSync
Lync support (OCS missed conversations works)
Link Notes to reminders (?)
Setup Rules that link to Exchange
More powerful DSP (musicians love iOS devices).

An Enterprise Business App Store front so that MDM's can have a hook in for mass purchases and licensing redistribution of apps that can be removed when users leave corporations/business. Yes there is something like it but its VERY archane.

Digital Skunk
Feb 5, 2012, 07:42 PM
Now, lets keep out fingers crossed for the Matte Black finish !

Image (http://bluefaqs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/iphone-concept.jpeg)

That is one sexy iPhone mockup. That's the only iPhone I'd buy. . . one with a larger screen and thinner body.