Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattkidd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Hey Guys!

Just upgraded my baseline 2011 21.5 from 4GB of RAM to 8GB of Ram for £20 through crucial.

After installing the ram decided to run some benchmarks on geekbench the result was a lower score than previously taken, the processor scored higher than before however the memory scored much lower. I then booted up Windows 7 via bootcamp to see if there was any difference in the windows index score and again it decreased by 0.3 on both CPU and RAM. Why is this?

My slots are currently:

Slot 1 - 2GB (Apple)
Slot 2- 2GB (Apple)
Slot 3 - 4GB (Crucial)
Slot 4 - None

Help would be much appreciated ;)

nOw2

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Slot 1 - 2GB (Apple)
Slot 2- 2GB (Apple)
Slot 3 - 4GB (Crucial)
Slot 4 - None
The memory system is dual channel which requires matched pairs, as per the original Apple DIMMs. Installing an unmatched pair drops the access to single channel model which will affect memory access speed.

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
Since you have only a single RAM Module installed the whole system is not running in Dual Channel anymore - hence it's slower.

mattkidd

macrumors regular
Original poster
The memory system is dual channel which requires matched pairs, as per the original Apple DIMMs. Installing an unmatched pair drops the access to single channel model which will affect memory access speed.

Ahhh right i thought this may be the case, so would i need to buy another 4GB stick in order to get true 8GB of memory at the right speed? :cool: and if so would i get the correct dual speed by keeping both 2GB sticks and two 4GB sticks in the system, giving me 12GB?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.