Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Quite frankly, Lion is a complete mess. I downloaded it and installed it over a Snow Leopard system that was working flawlessly and had never given me any problems.

But after installing Lion all sort annoyances started to emerge, the biggest one has to be the tendency of my MBP to just shut down randomly, for no apparent reason whatsoever. To illustrate, here is what happens:

1- Say I am using any application, Fireworks, Chrome, Espresso, etc.
2- Out of nowhere, my screen goes black and the led light in the MBP turns off.
3- But the computer remains "on" but I can't wake it up or anything.
4- I have to force shut down the computer by holding the power button and then turn it on again.

My MBP had never done anything like that before installing Lion. My specs are:

MBP 15" i5 2.53Hz
4GB of Ram
500GB HD

At work I use it with a secondary display, using both screens. At home i use it in clamshell mode. In both instances I use it with a separate Apple keyboard and mouse.

Any help is appreciated.

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
the lion nvidia drivers are flawed. it causes the system to freeze, crash, panic, lockup. especially with a external monitor.

you can wait for the new drivers in 10.7.2, or run on intel only for a while, or remove some ~/library files every time you connected an external display or install the nvidia cud a drivers (this is rumored, i don't know about this last one) to work around this issue.

problem is mainly present in 2010 mbp's with the nv330m

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Many thanks for the information stefan1975! I will look into it and see what workaround I can use in my case.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
I installed the lastest version of the NVIDIA CUDA Drivers, let's see how it goes :)

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Quite frankly, Lion is a complete mess. I downloaded it and installed it over a Snow Leopard system that was working flawlessly and had never given me any problems.

But after installing Lion all sort annoyances started to emerge, the biggest one has to be the tendency of my MBP to just shut down randomly, for no apparent reason whatsoever. To illustrate, here is what happens:

1- Say I am using any application, Fireworks, Chrome, Espresso, etc.
2- Out of nowhere, my screen goes black and the led light in the MBP turns off.
3- But the computer remains "on" but I can't wake it up or anything.
4- I have to force shut down the computer by holding the power button and then turn it on again.

My MBP had never done anything like that before installing Lion. My specs are:

MBP 15" i5 2.53Hz
4GB of Ram
500GB HD

At work I use it with a secondary display, using both screens. At home i use it in clamshell mode. In both instances I use it with a separate Apple keyboard and mouse.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm glad this isn't just me then. I'm having a similar issue. The only differences are I have a MBP 13" (2010 model), and it only just started recently doing it this week. It seems to do it just randomly too, but has only happened three times right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.