Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markm75

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
I was about to investigate some free texting/mms'ing apps to see what is the best one out there..

Are there any hacks, jailbroken or otherwise, that would still allow the irealSMS quick send feature, without being stuck inside a particular app to do this free texting ability? Or more importantly, some way that if someone doesnt know the new virtual number and accidentally texts you, it goes to the app somehow, via a forward, though i dont see how a charge could be avoided/

And with whichever free text (and MMS) app.. will anyone still be able to send to my att phone number, so they dont need to know special addresses? (both text and mms).

Obviously the goal here is for seamless ability and to eliminate the $20 per month plan (i'm guessing i'd then want to setup blocking if possible on the account to avoid unnecessary charges).

Thanks for any tips..

I'm on iphone 4, 4.3.3 jailbroke.

Last edited:

markm75

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
I was about to investigate some free texting/mms'ing apps to see what is the best one out there..

Are there any hacks, jailbroken or otherwise, that would still allow the irealSMS quick send feature, without being stuck inside a particular app to do this free texting ability? Or more importantly, some way that if someone doesnt know the new virtual number and accidentally texts you, it goes to the app somehow, via a forward, though i dont see how a charge could be avoided/

And with whichever free text (and MMS) app.. will anyone still be able to send to my att phone number, so they dont need to know special addresses? (both text and mms).

Obviously the goal here is for seamless ability and to eliminate the $20 per month plan (i'm guessing i'd then want to setup blocking if possible on the account to avoid unnecessary charges).

Thanks for any tips..

I'm on iphone 4, 4.3.3 jailbroke.

fyi, so far i've tried textnow (no video ability), can only receive pics if use the email address i think..

Textme.. can only receive pics if use the email address.. if you send a video, it gives the person a link to a web page.

Textfree.. no videos.. can only receive pics if use the email address..

None appear to have lockscreen quick send ability, or i havent found a hack to enable such a feature either.

Ideally, worst case you could give the virtual number out and both receive and send pics via that number, not having to rely on an email address for MMS receiving.

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice

As far as I know there's no way senders can use your mobile carrier number AND you receive the texts into an app other than the Apple Messages app.
To work this would require the mobile carrier to open its network to other parties.

markm75

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
As far as I know there's no way senders can use your mobile carrier number AND you receive the texts into an app other than the Apple Messages app.
To work this would require the mobile carrier to open its network to other parties.

well, i'd be content with a virtual number then, one that can take pics, vids and texts, but so far, all i'm finding are ones that use the number for texting, then you must give the person an email address to send to for pics;

There isnt an app that i can find that lets you do quick reply type ability, outside of the native app either at this point.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.