PDA

View Full Version : Free MBA...?

ccs569
Aug 23, 2011, 10:10 AM
Soooo... I bought my new MBA online from the apple store on 8/5. There was some confusion (long story-ordered it while drunk, 3am, after a long day at lollapalooza for reasons I wont get into, and thus some of the required fields were not filled out coherently, billing address etc.), and Visa didnt process the charge until 8/11, when I called in and spoke with both a Visa & Apple representative and confirmed the order, at which point Apple actually shipped the computer. I now have it.

I am now looking through my Chase Visa statements and there is only a $0.05 charge from apple on 8/11. No other charges listed as pending or any other sign or trace of the ~$1,800 charge that should be there.

Now, I have to assume that this oversight will be caught and I will be properly charged, but is there any chance that in the initial confusion that somehow charging me was overlooked?

Ha, is there like a statute of limitations on credit card charges or something? I'm afraid to send in my mail-in-rebate for the printer b/c it might trigger the payment (plus at this point i havent actually paid for it anyways.)

Any thoughts or experiences with this? Much thanks.

jbg232
Aug 23, 2011, 10:12 AM
I have a feeling you will be charged....

Prepare for flamethrowers with this thread.

SDub90
Aug 23, 2011, 10:16 AM
You'll get charged. They charged it for the full price when it was shipped. How long ago was that? It can take a few days to show up on your recent activity/statements.

GenesisJLS
Aug 23, 2011, 10:18 AM
Do the right thing. Karma is a bitch sometimes.

matbook101
Aug 23, 2011, 10:20 AM
I have a feeling you will be charged....

Prepare for flamethrowers with this thread.

You'll get charged. They charged it for the full price when it was shipped. How long ago was that? It can take a few days to show up on your recent activity/statements.

Chances are that he will get charged but it would be funny to see somebody get one for free.

ccs569
Aug 23, 2011, 10:29 AM
So, I confirmed the charge on 8/11, which should then have been processed in full. As mentioned, only a $0.05 charge from Apple showed up in my online activity. No pending charges or anything else. I have never noticed a charge take more than a couple days to show up, and its now been 12 days. Anyone else with Chase ever seen a credit card charge take this long with apple or anything?

To the karma guy- ill prob get charged, but if not ill take my chances. Theoretically, it wouldnt affect me till my next life anyways...

Bob Coxner
Aug 23, 2011, 10:36 AM
I recall a similar situation with someone buying a computer from Amazon. They were also wondering if it would end up being free. The charge eventually took about a week to hit their credit card.

Apple can afford decent bookkeeping software. I feel confident you will get charged.

bp1000
Aug 23, 2011, 10:38 AM
If you don't pay for it now, somewhere a long the line you WILL pay for it, one way or another.

The longer it's pending the worst the method of payment. Not to mention how it will eat away inside your head these words reminding you of your impending doom.

ccs569
Aug 23, 2011, 10:46 AM
If you don't pay for it now, somewhere a long the line you WILL pay for it, one way or another.

The longer it's pending the worst the method of payment. Not to mention how it will eat away inside your head these words reminding you of your impending doom.

haha, this guy is great. Sir, I cordially invite you to comment on all my threads going forward.

additional info- I got an edu discount and it was a tax free weekend. could either of these cause such a delay in me being charged?

Oli3000
Aug 23, 2011, 10:46 AM
Depends how it works. If you walk into a shop, walk up to the till and say I would like a refund for this, if they put it through, you haven't technically stolen the item, and the shop and the police can do nothing.

I am sure there must be a rule here, where if a certain amount of time has passed that Apple can no longer legitimately charge you. You have offered up a payment method, and they didn't take the money and gave you the item...

Xgm541
Aug 23, 2011, 11:40 AM
Soooo... I bought my new MBA online from the apple store on 8/5. There was some confusion (long story-ordered it while drunk, 3am, after a long day at lollapalooza for reasons I wont get into, and thus some of the required fields were not filled out coherently, billing address etc.), and Visa didnt process the charge until 8/11, when I called in and spoke with both a Visa & Apple representative and confirmed the order, at which point Apple actually shipped the computer. I now have it.

I am now looking through my Chase Visa statements and there is only a $0.05 charge from apple on 8/11. No other charges listed as pending or any other sign or trace of the ~$1,800 charge that should be there.

Now, I have to assume that this oversight will be caught and I will be properly charged, but is there any chance that in the initial confusion that somehow charging me was overlooked?

Ha, is there like a statute of limitations on credit card charges or something? I'm afraid to send in my mail-in-rebate for the printer b/c it might trigger the payment (plus at this point i havent actually paid for it anyways.)

Any thoughts or experiences with this? Much thanks.

I have actually called apple and told them about this thread, the date you ordered it, the charge thats being shown. The gentleman looked it up and said he will sort it out ;)

no matter how you look at it, its still theft if you dont pay the price they request for the laptop.

Kebabselector
Aug 23, 2011, 11:50 AM
its still theft if you dont pay the price they request for the laptop.

If they don't charge you the right amount how can it be theft? Payment was made - if they screw up then the recipient is a thief?

Chances are once the systems see a discrepancy it'll be sorted. I once had a loan from Barclays that finished a month early - I told them it finished early, they checked and said, no all payments have been made. A few years later they contacted me about the missing month - they tried to add on the missing additional interest - I told them where to go with regards to the interest, but paid the missing instalment.

misterneums
Aug 23, 2011, 11:51 AM
I have actually called apple and told them about this thread, the date you ordered it, the charge thats being shown. The gentleman looked it up and said he will sort it out ;)

no matter how you look at it, its still theft if you dont pay the price they request for the laptop.

Is it his fault if a company doesn't charge him the right price for it?

jsolares
Aug 23, 2011, 12:10 PM
Is it his fault if a company doesn't charge him the right price for it?

I'd say no, but i would also contact apple and ask about it instead of hoping to get it free.

xkmxkmxlmx
Aug 23, 2011, 12:20 PM
Where are you from? There is no tax-free weekend in Chicago (where Lalla takes places).

But you are hilarious. Seriously. You got a edu discount (wonder if you're even a student), a tax break, AND you possibly did not have to pay for the actual laptop (highly doubt you will get it for free, btw), and you're STILL worried/considering about getting your free printer rebate?

Haha WOW.

Xgm541
Aug 23, 2011, 12:48 PM
If they don't charge you the right amount how can it be theft? Payment was made - if they screw up then the recipient is a thief?

Yes its still theft. He was supposed to pay ~1800, he agreed to pay that amount. He paid .05.

ZBoater
Aug 23, 2011, 12:59 PM
I'm calling the Karma Police on this one...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6683949/KarmaCop-289x300.jpg

ccs569
Aug 23, 2011, 01:10 PM
Where are you from? There is no tax-free weekend in Chicago (where Lalla takes places).

But you are hilarious. Seriously. You got a edu discount (wonder if you're even a student), a tax break, AND you possibly did not have to pay for the actual laptop (highly doubt you will get it for free, btw), and you're STILL worried/considering about getting your free printer rebate?

Haha WOW.

Im going to refrain from saying where im actually from. But for your amusement, i am not a student. I also left out that I successfully used an expired apple gift card for the purchase.

If i were concerned about the ethical ramifications of the situation, im sure that there are philosophical morality message boards I could have consulted. Im was just curious if any of you had encountered this. That said, if I were actually serious about slipping this by apple, posting this many specifics on macrumors.com would have been rather foolish.

----------

moot point. charge just went through. thanks for your thoughts.

Brandon0448
Aug 23, 2011, 01:21 PM
Im going to refrain from saying where im actually from. But for your amusement, i am not a student. I also left out that I successfully used an expired apple gift card for the purchase.

If i were concerned about the ethical ramifications of the situation, im sure that there are philosophical morality message boards I could have consulted. Im was just curious if any of you had encountered this. That said, if I were actually serious about slipping this by apple, posting this many specifics on macrumors.com would have been rather foolish.

----------

moot point. charge just went through. thanks for your thoughts.

Lulz, but seriously, apple has more money then the United States Treasury. If they made a mistake and forgot to bill a customer properly that is entirely their fault and in no way would make that man a thief, just very lucky.

xkmxkmxlmx
Aug 23, 2011, 01:36 PM
Awww looks like someone is getting all defensive about their actions. I merely stated that you seem like a funny dude.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get your free stuff, man :(

iLoveiTunes
Aug 23, 2011, 01:58 PM
Once again the moral police comes into action... Come on guys, what's your problem if he got that for free. Not his mistake obviously. And those who call it stealing as a bunch of 13 year old's with no knowledge of law at all. I am pretty sure that those criticizing OP would be the ones to grab the "free" stuff if this ever happened to them. :cool:

MasterTick
Aug 23, 2011, 02:06 PM

It's not theft, he agreed to pay for the laptop, not his fault a company screwed up.

And if you really called Apple to tell them about this then you desperately need to get a life.

ccs569
Aug 23, 2011, 02:14 PM
Awww looks like someone is getting all defensive about their actions. I merely stated that you seem like a funny dude.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get your free stuff, man :(

ha, the second part of that post wasnt meant to be directed at you. no worries, i figured a free mba was prob too much to hope for

Epic Xbox Revie
Aug 23, 2011, 02:33 PM
I recall a similar situation with someone buying a computer from Amazon. They were also wondering if it would end up being free. The charge eventually took about a week to hit their credit card.

Apple can afford decent bookkeeping software. I feel confident you will get charged.

This happened to me @ Amazon.. I was charged like a week after I got the computer.

rhinosrcool
Aug 23, 2011, 06:21 PM
It's not theft, he agreed to pay for the laptop, not his fault a company screwed up.

And if you really called Apple to tell them about this then you desperately need to get a life.

I knew the charge would go through. Also, if he really called, that is so sad.:o

misterneums
Aug 23, 2011, 06:29 PM
I knew the charge would go through. Also, if he really called, that is so sad.:o

I wouldn't put it past some people.

accessoriesguy
Aug 23, 2011, 06:46 PM
It was free...for a little while :p

vazelos
Aug 23, 2011, 06:53 PM
you jinxed it! should have never started a thread here, apple monitors everything!!!