Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mscmsc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
Greetings,

I just purchased an i7 Mac Mini with the standard 500 GB HDD. I'm wondering if I can install and aftermarket SSD and keep the current HDD as well. I would like to put Lion OS and my apps on the SSD to use as my main/boot drive, and use the current HDD, for additional storage. Is this sort of thing possible? If so, how do I put a clean Lion OS on the SSD and wipe everything from the hard disk

Thanks,

Mark

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
AFAIK, the new Airs and minis have the "Internet recovery feature" built into the firmware, so you can just download a new copy of Lion if you want a clean install.

I'm about to install a SSD in my 2010 mini. I ordered mine with an external enclosure. When it gets here, I'll temporarily put it in the enclosure, hook it up to the mini, and use SuperDuper to make a clone. Then I'll put the SSD in the mini, and remove the HDD, putting it into the enclosure. I'll use the Disk Utility app to format it clean.

I think I saw somewhere where someone made the special cable required if you want to run the SSD + HDD both in your new mini.

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
If you want the original drive to be internal, you'll need the connector referenced in this post. It seems a bit pricey IMO, so I would go with external.

If you're ok with it being external I'd suggest finding a Firewire 800 external case for it since that'll be faster than USB 2.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.