Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

How do you group movies series, eg Star Wars, Harry Potter etc under one "folder/title" then list movies in here the same as TV shows does? On an Apple TV 2

In TV shows I see one "older" with the TV show name on, click it and it lists the episodes - perfect. Surely Apple have thought of the same thing for movies,'otherwise there's going to be a long long long list of movies.

I know about playlist but I'd prefer it the same as TV show way.

Can you? If so how please
Cheers

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
What I do is give them the same name with a little twist on the end, as I had all the DieHard series with Bruce Willis, so I did this.

DieHard - 1
DieHard - 2
DieHard - 3

etc

and I did this with Lord of the Rings etc

There is no other way that I know of because iTunes is a pain and does not differentiate.

sdbutler

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Provo, UT
Use Sort Name

I personally use Sort Name to keep my movies together. For example,

Star Wars - The Phantom Menace (Star Wars 1)
Star Wars - Attach of the Clones (Star Wars 2)
Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith (Star Wars 3)
Star Wars - A New Hope (Star Wars 4)
Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars 5)
Star Wars - Return of the Jedi (Star Wars 6)

Where the name in parenthesis is the Sort Name, and the other name, e.g. Star Wars - The Phantom Menace, is just the name.

Hope that helps.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
In MetaX (or equivalent), change the "sort name" tag (found on the sorting tab on MetaX) to something that can be sorted easily (i.e. star wars 1, lord of the rings 1 james bond 1 etc) but leave the Title unchanged. iTunes should now use the "sort name" to arrange the files, but display the "title" tag as the name.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
Another possibility would be to create a Genre called, for example, "Star Wars". Then the movies would all be grouped together when viewed under the Genre menu.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm sorry I should have mentioned this is on an Apple TV 2 (black) I've read somewhere that the above work on Apple TV 1 but not Apple TV 2? Is this right? Surely not.

Can I ask if the above are on an Apple TV 2?

Cheers

ZBB

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008

I'm sorry I should have mentioned this is on an Apple TV 2 (black) I've read somewhere that the above work on Apple TV 1 but not Apple TV 2? Is this right? Surely not.

Can I ask if the above are on an Apple TV 2?

Cheers

I use both the Sort Name and Genre tricks (although only have Genre set for the Bond films -- the others aren't worthy :cool: )

Both work fine on ATV2...

I currently use Identify2 as my tagger. Previously used MetaX, but Identify2 works much better, especially with TV series...

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
I make a Genre for Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, etc. If you have a bunch of movies you need Genres anyway, why make it harder for yourself?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK

Cheers for that so it looks like you have to use genres and put in eg Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter etc to get them all in one folder.

Why can't Apple put this effect into the normal movie list then?

At the moment I use iDentify2 and of course this puts genre as it should be, eg Star Wars under Sci-Fi etc. So I will have to manually change them.

If this is the only way then at least it's a way! So what about none grouped movies? What do you put in that genre for single movies?

@SDButler - so the way you name them keeps them in the list together but won't the list still be enormous with all movies as single rather than grouped?

I'm just trying to make this as wife friendly as I can!! (although still got a dropping of home sharing but thats another thread!!)

Cheers

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
This used to be a feature of the Apple TV. You could put a title such as "Star Wars Trilogy" in the "Show" field from within iTunes and it would create a folder containing all three films that would be presented on the Apple TV.

For some reason, that's been removed with the new Apple TV.

Apple TV software updates typically come in October. So we'll see what they come up with by then.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK

I hope so can't believe that no one at Apple thought about this or even not looked at it.

The trouble is there's been a few updates since it was released already, remember it was released in Sep '10 so it's been a while that for me, is a fundamental, missing feature.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

I hope so can't believe that no one at Apple thought about this or even not looked at it.

The trouble is there's been a few updates since it was released already, remember it was released in Sep '10 so it's been a while that for me, is a fundamental, missing feature.

It's actually been updated quite a bit this year. They're just not monumental changes.

Since launch, we've gotten:

AirPlay for Web sites and Apps
VoiceOver
MLB.TV
NBA Game Time
Netflix 5.1 DD Surround Sound
New slideshow themes
TV Show purchases (iCloud)
Vimeo

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4448

I would imagine a major update is due this year. The current iOS 5 betas don't support that theory, but Photostream seems tacked on. Its place in the menu structure is peculiar . I wouldn't be surprised if the current version is temporary until Apple TV Software 5.0 is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.