Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nbyond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
I'm a uni student so I put lecture notes topics in the right order. When I exit the finder and come back.. the folders are rearranged in bloody alphabetical order ! It's getting on my nerve.. How do I fix this?:mad:

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
Check that the default view settings aren't set to arrange by name and remove the .DS_Store from the folder. I generally use 01,02,03 though. Because I just don't logically trust things like meta data tracking for file ordering.

Nbyond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Check that the default view settings aren't set to arrange by name and remove the .DS_Store from the folder. I generally use 01,02,03 though. Because I just don't logically trust things like meta data tracking for file ordering.

How do I remove the DS_Store??

And if I don't set it to names what should I set it to? It's currently on "None."

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Since this is obviously a very serious problem for you which is in need of immediate resolution (since you are aggressively bumping):

Just prefix the folder names with a number like Hansr suggested, and everything will sort fine by name. Crisis averted.

Nbyond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Since this is obviously a very serious problem for you which is in need of immediate resolution (since you are aggressively bumping):

Just prefix the folder names with a number like Hansr suggested, and everything will sort fine by name. Crisis averted.

But what if I do not want to arrange them by "name".. any other better methods?

eldho

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
But what if I do not want to arrange them by "name".. any other better methods?

I use a combination of folders and colours for different categories so that I do not have to search too hard for what I want but it is still very annoying as I much preferred being able to place things at various locations and have them stay there. May Apple solve this quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.