Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brenton

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
Florida
hello. I need help deciding if the Emac is right for me or not. I used the ones at my school. they were great machines. So Im wondering if the Emac is right for me or not

I will mainly be doing

Ilife
Appleworks
Internet

I am going to wait untill tiger. and a question. Will Emacs come with tiger on the 29th. Or will I have to pay $10.00 to get it with the emac. thanks

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Having used an eMac for two and a half years before getting my iBook, I would say that the eMac should be good for what you are doing. I don't know if I would want to burn a DVD on an eMac with iDVD though. I won't on my iBook because I feel it is too slow. Though you could always let the eMac do it while you sleep. Maybe others can comment on that.

A few things to consider though are weight (can you lift ~50 lbs everytime you want to move your computer somewhere?). Also think about whether or not you need portabilty before you buy - I didn't, and now that I think about it, portability would have been good for me as a college student.

* Edit *
Yes, they should come with Tiger on the 29th.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
The eMac is a great little machine and something of a bargain. My wife has had one for a little over a year and it's hard to criticise.

In theory, Apple should start including Tiger with machines sold from the 29th (initially probably just throwing an upgrade DVD in the box - Panther will probably be installed). If you buy the machine on-line from the Apple Store, then you should be okay. Likewise the same should apply if you go into one of Apple's retail stores. Other Apple retailers, however, may well take a few weeks to catch up, so be careful and ask before you buy. =]

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
After G said:
I don't know if I would want to burn a DVD on an eMac with iDVD though. I won't on my iBook because I feel it is too slow. Though you could always let the eMac do it while you sleep. Maybe others can comment on that.

According to MacWorld UK (June 2005 edition) the eMac Superdrive is still the fastest out there at 8x. Faster than a 2.5Ghz DP G5. Save money, get a bigger HD, more RAM, AirPort and BT and you will have a computer that will last you for years. Also if you are getting it as a student get the education discount and you will save loads on it.

Basically get one, they are cool. Great computer if you can live without carrying it around.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
the eMac is a good machine and at an awesome price. I think the new eMacs that Apple going to come out with are going to be really good. It should work great for you, unless you get really into video editing, and then you would want a G5, for the faster compression times.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
emac rocks. i have the most recent one with a superdrive. get the superdrive one, because the larger hard drive and superdrive are great. i didnt think i'd use mine but i use it all the time. do yourself a favor and head over to newegg and pick up a 512mb stick of ram (PC 3200's fine if it's cheaper than PC 2700) for <$50. it makes it run so much better. my only complaint is that in a quiet room you notice how incredibly loud the emac's fan is.0

auxplage

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Virginia Beach
The eMac is PERFECT for you. I have one and do all that you will do fine. One could argue to get the Mac Mini and a monitor so then you only have to upgrade the Mini and keep the monitor. I personally like the AIO design.

AstroManLuca

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2005
Minnesota
No, the fastest DVD burner out there is 16x. They are made by all sorts of companies. Apple just keeps using the old 8x burners, but 16x is the new standard DVD-R speed. And the eMac only had a faster burner than the PowerMacs for a very brief period of time, way back when the eMac was last updated. They both use 8x burners now.

Besides, it only takes 15 minutes to burn a DVD at 4x... it's not the burning that takes a long time, it's converting an iMovie project to the proper format to burn with iDVD that takes forever. That can take a day or more, depending on the length of the movie. But taking 8 minutes to burn a DVD instead of 4 minutes isn't going to make a big difference.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
brenton said:
hello. I need help deciding if the Emac is right for me or not. I used the ones at my school. they were great machines. So Im wondering if the Emac is right for me or not

I will mainly be doing

Ilife
Appleworks
Internet

I am going to wait untill tiger. and a question. Will Emacs come with tiger on the 29th. Or will I have to pay $10.00 to get it with the emac. thanks

eMac will be perfect for what you are planning to do.
Though, it does appear AppleWorks is no longer going to be included with Tiger (not listed on Apple's site of Tiger specs).

Don't know if you will still be able to buy AppleWorks seperately. You would at least be able to keep it on your machine if you buy Tiger seperately.

It'll take a little bit of time before machines with Tiger appear on them..as stores and Apple will run through their box stock of machines already loaded with Panther.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
The eMac sounds great for you needs.

I'd say for what you need(which is what most people need) and you don't have a monitor already, an eMac or iMac is the best bet depending on you space requirments and how much you're willing to spend.

If you have a monitor, then a mini would be great, and for poratbility the iBook is perfect.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
mac-er said:
eMac will be perfect for what you are planning to do.
Though, it does appear AppleWorks is no longer going to be included with Tiger (not listed on Apple's site of Tiger specs).

Don't know if you will still be able to buy AppleWorks seperately. You would at least be able to keep it on your machine if you buy Tiger seperately.
QUOTE]

I don't think AppleWorks has been included with Panther either(like iLife wasn't), but just came on new Macs. And it should be on it's own install disk.

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
After G said:
I don't know if I would want to burn a DVD on an eMac with iDVD though. I won't on my iBook because I feel it is too slow. Though you could always let the eMac do it while you sleep. .

eMac's do a fine job of burning DVD's... Burning isn't the issue, it's rendering and encoding, and all of that other stuff, but that's not unique to the eMac... If you have an eMac with a 8X superdrive, burn away, she's more than capable...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.