Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erin-s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section. I have a 4 year old Macbook. I am trying to figure out the best way to back up all my photos so I can get them off my hard drive but still have access to them in the future. I bought the time capsule after talking with a guy at the Apple store. But after reading quite a bit online about the capsule deleting the oldest files (eventually) I'm worried that I would still end up losing these pictures. Can someone please advise as to what I should do to keep these photos permanently, just not on my hd?
I really will appreciate any advice. I'm totally confused. :confused:
Thanks!

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Your question is not about backup... not really. Put them on some other external hard drive other than your backup destination, and then remove that external hard drive from the list of excluded items in your Time Machine settings.

Time Machine absolutely does not delete the oldest files. It deletes the oldest backups. If the files still exist on the source, they will be maintained in the backup, regardless the age of the files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.