Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Ok guys I'm looking at getting a new camera to replace my Sony a700. I am currently looking at the a55 with the translucent sensor. However, I saw yesterday that sony announced the a65, 77, and nex7. I like the small form factor of the nex7 but also like the a65 body style. I'm torn on which one to get. What are the main differences of the three compared to the a55. Which one will have the most longevity?

Thanks everyone with the help,

Jonathan

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
After doing some research the 65 is looking like the one to get. The NEX7 is looking pretty sweet too. What do you guys think?

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
The A65 is looking good on paper but I would wait to see some reviews on how it really performs. I worry that Sony are too busy playing the numbers game rather than making enthusiast/pro cameras these days. The A700 is a fantastic camera however so I wouldn't be in any hurry to change it.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
The A65 is looking good on paper but I would wait to see some reviews on how it really performs. I worry that Sony are too busy playing the numbers game rather than making enthusiast/pro cameras these days. The A700 is a fantastic camera however so I wouldn't be in any hurry to change it.

The 65 does look nice. I will wait till I can hold one. I went to check out the 55 again today. Its nice but the body is to small for my hands. The view finder also doenst look that good. I'll wait and see how the 65 does. I love my 700 but the HD video is nice as well as a few other features.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Yes, the video does look good on the A65 with 50fps and AF. I traded my A700 for a Canon 5DII mainly because of the video but also the feeling that Sony had little intention of supporting the professional end of the market. I have missed the A700 though, no other camera has handled so well - comfortable to hold and with all the controls intuitivley in easy reach. When I tried the A55 I immediately switched it off when reaching for the front scroll wheel!

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Yes, the video does look good on the A65 with 50fps and AF. I traded my A700 for a Canon 5DII mainly because of the video but also the feeling that Sony had little intention of supporting the professional end of the market. I have missed the A700 though, no other camera has handled so well - comfortable to hold and with all the controls intuitivley in easy reach. When I tried the A55 I immediately switched it off when reaching for the front scroll wheel!

I kept turning it off too. It drove me crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.