Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Hey everyone.

Many people, included myself at first, hated Lion. After a month using it daily Ive come to really like it. I had been a long time windows user. Snow Leopard was my first Mac OS, and it was amazing. I didn't want to upgrade to Lion cause it was the perfect OS for me: fast, very stable, without viruses, lots of cool software, etc.

When Lion came out I didn't like many of its changes, like resume or versions, but I really liked many others, like mission control, the new UI changes, etc.

Now I think Lion is better than Snow Leopard, and when more updates come it will be as stable or even more. In time it will become probably the best OS experience altogether.

Ive seen many people hate mission control, but to me its the best new feature. I never used spaces on snow leopard. I didn't like the look, it was too poor. Having spaces and expose together is great. I can have different wallpapers on different desktops/spaces so its more easy to know where each app is. Big improvement altogether for me. Now I use spaces every day. Expose is even better, because now you have the icon of each app under the windows, so its easier to search for the window you are looking for. On Snow Leopard there was no app icon under the windows, so I had to close look at each window to find the correct one. Now its a lot better.

Launchpad and full screen apps are cool but useless to me, but like I usually say, its better to have them than to not.

I love the new contacts and calendar app. Before their design was too poor again. Now its more elaborated and looks nicer. The year view on calendar should have been implemented long ago. To me its essential. Also Mail looks nicer, but you have the choice to have the old design back, which is great.

Im still getting used to versions, but I think I will come to like it in time. It may come useful with Word 2011 when its implemented. On other apps such as preview I don't find it necessary.

Resume is amazing. I can quit my iMac and the next day all my safari tabs are still there, or when I just need to reboot. Thats pretty handy. Makes my life easier. Before I had to save each tab to bookmarks to see it next day.

Dashboard being a space is one of my top 5 new things to love from Lion. I hate now the old way, with the widgets coming all up front. It was harder to look at. You can now even change the wallpaper from dashboard doing some tricks.

And thank god now its easier to cut and paste on finder! Coming from windows this was a major drawback.

And lets not forget another new Lion feature coming: iCloud.

Overall I think Lion is a great improvement over Snow Leopard. It makes easier to do stuff to people who are not tech savvy. Im a normal user, I know how to do most stuff on mac, but its always nice to make things easier. Thats a main reason I came to mac from windows, which felt like a big mess.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
I've adjusted well to the natural scrolling and Mission Control. I am using Versions with Pages and Numbers and it works great. I think your right, once they work out the early bugs, it will be pretty awesome. :D

DockMac

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
I am LOVING lion.

I've been using OS X since 10.1 Puma and it has gotten better and better with each progression. With each iteration, there has been UI and feature changes.

At first, it is ALWAYS quite frustrating to deal with the changes, even the slightest ones. However, I have come to appreciate the insight the team up in Cupertino comes up with for each iteration of the OS.

Favorite new features: Full Screen Apps, App/Desktop Switching (Swiping), the New Mail UI (hated the old mail, never used it), the "reinvented" Dock/Launchpad. For me, the Dock now serves only for Apps that are open, and Launchpad to launch apps.

Of course there are things that we don't like. I was NEVER fond of Dashboard, even in its current iteration. Heck, I even turned it off.

gofightlose

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
I really do love Lion and I think that the new features do make me more productive, but I still miss the simplicity that was in SL. There have also been a few inconsistencies that I'm hoping will be worked through.

DcGamer05

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
Litchfield CT
hate it

lion has some nice new features and enhancements but overall the operating system is annoying and acts more like a handheld device in by that i mean the lack of support for full screen on two monitors. I mean at least allow it in quicktime. Quicktime 7 skips a lot, and quicktime x (along with every other app) has awful fullscreen rules making the other monitor completely useless. This is a big problem IMO and needs to be addressed ASAP, as well as (ever since SL 10.6) the HD video performance of the 9400m is piss poor, yet in windows (which i hate) its runs a like butter.

I'm really mad about these issues. Apple needs to set the gloss and glitter aside and start thinking about a productive multitasking computer experience.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I'm enjoying it actually. There is a lot that could be improved, of course (especially dual-screen behaviour) but overall I think Lion 10.7.1 is a good foundation.

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
I haven't run into anything I really hate. I LOVE having Mail, iCal and Reeder full screen all the time. Lion is great.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't hate it, I don't love it. I'm disappointed in how apple made some changes.

I'll eventually upgrade to Lion but for now Snow Leopard is superior and fits my needs better then Lion does.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Mostly love it. Resume is probably my favorite feature. For crashy apps (*cough* Safari *cough*) it's a life saver. The app crashes, I no longer get pissed off, and the app reopens back to where it was. Thank you Apple!

Mission Control though is half baked. I would like it a lot more if you could rearrange your desktops/full screen apps. From what I understand that's being added in an update (it's a possible bug that you can't currently).

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I like it and am keeping it on the MBP. On the early 2008 black MB, I've gone back to SL mainly because of the fans. The fans would spin up on high on sites that would normally be ok. Now that I'm on SL on the MB, the fans stay at 1798 or so most of the time, except on flash sites. I can use the MB on battery power once again.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Love an OS? Not hardly. It's just software. :eek:
Exactly. Some of the fanboys here need to quit drooling and get out from behind their keyboards.

Using Lion under protest. Prefer Spaces and Expose' in Snow Leopard but alas... it's time to move on if I want iCloud.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
lion has some nice new features and enhancements but overall the operating system is annoying and acts more like a handheld device in by that i mean the lack of support for full screen on two monitors.

Lion has the same support for multiple screens as Snow Leopard does. Their new full screen feature does not. Yet.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm quite happy with Lion. I actually like Mission Control. I like the new UI animations. I like the fullscreen apps - especially on my 11" MBA. I'm finding Versions handy.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
The English language has a limited number of words to describe affection.

One definition of "love" from Dictionary.com:

"to have a strong liking for; take great pleasure in: to love music."

So, all of you who say you can't "love" an OS or an inanimate object, you are mistaken. It's a different kind of love, that's all.....

Now that we have put that issue to bed......

I am really enjoying Mac OS X 10.7.x. I had one issue that was caused by a bad plist file. Other than that, the experience has been great. I have really enjoyed incorporating the changes Apple made into my workflow and feel that I am more productive than ever.

The biggest issue I have had is getting used to the Magic Trackpad versus a mouse. I am still a bit faster and more accurate with a mouse, but the gestures available to me with the Magic Trackpad are fantastic. With more usage I am sure that I will get better. I will be doing more work so on a MacBook Pro so this is good training for that. I used to hate working on laptops with track pads. That shouldn't be an issue any more.

Scott

DcGamer05

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
Litchfield CT
step backwards

full screen apps are nice but in all reality how much more productive can you be in a fullscreen app vs a fully maximized window? At least in the maximized window you can have other apps open. What about web developers who have a web editor open and a graphic editor and need the two monitors to easily edit photos/graphics and then get them into your web editor. If you use lion and full screen one app thats it, the other monitor is useless. So praise it all you want and give apple a false sense of accomplishment for taking a step backwards in productivity. If I really want to mail, or itunes in fullscreen Ill use an iPad at least I know what to expect.

As far as laptops and computers are concerned the operating system should be well equipped to handle two (or more) monitors with a separate app on each screen.

Lion to me is more of a focus on fancy animations and a bunch of useless features that most users dont even know to use or even would use.:apple: fail

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
full screen apps are nice but in all reality how much more productive can you be in a fullscreen app vs a fully maximized window? At least in the maximized window you can have other apps open. What about web developers who have a web editor open and a graphic editor and need the two monitors to easily edit photos/graphics and then get them into your web editor. If you use lion and full screen one app thats it, the other monitor is useless. So praise it all you want and give apple a false sense of accomplishment for taking a step backwards in productivity. If I really want to mail, or itunes in fullscreen Ill use an iPad at least I know what to expect.

As far as laptops and computers are concerned the operating system should be well equipped to handle two (or more) monitors with a separate app on each screen.

Lion to me is more of a focus on fancy animations and a bunch of useless features that most users dont even know to use or even would use.:apple: fail

Have you ever heard of having multiple desktop spaces and being able to move between them with ease like just swiping to left or right and/or using mission control? It's really great, you should try it. :rolleyes:

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada

You got the thumbs down, but I tend to agree as of right now. Apps may get optimized later somehow, but currently, full screen doesn't do much for me. For Safari, full screen saves around 30 px, but you lose the ability to go to desktop and stuff.

I guess it's more useful on an 11" MBA. One thing that I'm wondering is why are you allowed to adjust the width of the window in Safari when it's full screen. Try putting your mouse on the edge of the screen in full screen Safari, and your cursor turns into those arrow things. I would understand if adjusting the width also adjust the HTML text to wrap so you can test websites, but now it just crops the website.

Also, @LIVEFRMNYC, I love switching apps like that just for fun :D I really with you could drag and drop windows from Mission Control though like the old Spaces.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
One thing that I'm wondering is why are you allowed to adjust the width of the window in Safari when it's full screen.

Makes for easier reading due to less horizontal eye movement, unless the website has set a fixed size for its content

1.png

vs.
2.png

I love switching apps like that just for fun :D I really with you could drag and drop windows from Mission Control though like the old Spaces.

After a while, you get pretty fast at Alt-clicking on one space and then dragging your window to another space.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.