Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

911memorialapp.jpg

Documentary film producer and web developer Steve Rosenbaum's "The 9/11 Memorial: Past, Present and Future" app is an interactive look at the history of the World Trade Center. It chronicles the original development of the towers, the 9/11 attacks, and the lengthy rebuilding process of the memorial and museum.

The New York Observer reports the app will have 400 still photographs and hours of video clips. Rosenbaum says the app lays out the experience in bold chunks: "here's the story before, when the World Trade Center was being built, and then after it was built, and the day of the attacks, and what's happened since."

Aside from the moving content, Rosenbaum picked the iPad for the project because he felt it was the best overall device to display it.
"I wanted it to be more of an immersive experience," he said. "The nature of the photographs are so powerful, so to render them in anything but full color seemed wrong to me. And I didn't want it to be viewed on a phone. I wanted it to be big and glossy."

Apple apparently liked the idea... he submitted his app last week expecting it to take several weeks to get through the company's notoriously opaque vetting system. "It got approved in a day and a half."

He's hoping for some significant promotion in the app store, since apps that aren't featured can easily be overlooked, but he noted that there are no guarantees. "I've asked around, and apparently they have a bunch of people that have a meeting every week on Thursday or Friday, and they pitch. But it's a closed system. They may choose it and they may not."
The 9/11 Memorial: Past, Present and Future will be available free on the App Store from September 1 through September 12, and be $9.95 thereafter.

Hat tip to Daring Fireball

Article Link: 'The 9/11 Memorial: Past, Present and Future' App to be iPad Exclusive

Last edited by a moderator:

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
$9.95? Is that even an allowed price on the AppStore? I though it could only be $9.99

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Here's the kicker:

Aside from the moving content, Rosenbaum picked the iPad for the project because he felt it was the best overall device to display it.

Look for more of this sort of thinking over the coming year.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
What are you babbling about, its free till sep 12:rolleyes:

And then after, it's not free. Was there a point you were trying to make?

----------

Yeah during that previous time, NOW the truth is being realized.

You know, I used to be into the 911 Truth thing until I saw a very compelling bit of evidence. You may not be aware of this, but the morning the towers collapsed THESE TWO HUGE AIRLINERS CRASHED INTO BOTH OF THEM.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
You know, I used to be into the 911 Truth thing until I saw a very compelling bit of evidence. You may not be aware of this, but the morning the towers collapsed THESE TWO HUGE AIRLINERS CRASHED INTO BOTH OF THEM.

I heard it was because two Irish guys were doing some work in the building, and they had trouble fitting a door. So one said to the other, "go get a plane and take the top off".

Kranchammer

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
Kahleefornya
I heard it was because two Irish guys were doing some work in the building, and they had trouble fitting a door. So one said to the other, "go get a plane and take the top off".

The conspirators can't even get their cover story right.
I have heard it told as two Poles, two Texas A&M Aggies, two liberals, two conservatives, two blondes, two rednecks, etc.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Reason I made a comment about the developer making money was because I was undecided whether he should get all the money or if he should have to donate some, considering the high cost for the app (i.e. he isn't charging to cover Apple's developer costs, he wants to make profit).

But then, if someone made a WW2 memorial app, would I feel the same way? I guess 10 years is long enough..

OmegaRace

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Caladan

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I just know I'm going to regret this, but...

What's disgusting is that 9/11 first responders have been banned from Ground Zero ceremonies on 9/11/11, because they are questioning the official government/media myth that Muslims did the attacks, which isn't supported by the evidence.
The "evidence" used by conspiracy theorists is hogwash. Jet fuel can't melt steel? No, but then it doesn't need to. Steel gradually losses strength as heat is applied. It just has to lose enough that it can no longer support the [immense] weight above it. No skyscraper has ever collapsed as a result of fire? No, but then most of them weren't also hit by jetliners traveling several hundred miles an hour. Sure a plane hit the Empire State Building, but that was a prop-driven B-25. And the ESB itself has a completely different support structure.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
The "evidence" used by conspiracy theorists is hogwash. Jet fuel can't melt steel? No, but then it doesn't need to. Steel gradually losses strength as heat is applied. It just has to lose enough that it can no longer support the [immense] weight above it. No skyscraper has ever collapsed as a result of fire? No, but then most of them weren't also hit by jetliners traveling several hundred miles an hour. Sure a plane hit the Empire State Building, but that was a prop-driven B-25. And the ESB itself has a completely different support structure.

A skyscraper getting hit by a plane, with an uneven amount of jet fuel sprayed everywhere that may loosen steel, caused a perfectly uniform (in both towers) fall, something which a building demolition team would be very proud of.

Same with the 7 World Trade Center - that went down in a controlled demolition and caused absolute minimum damage to the buildings beside it. You think terrorists plotting to cause mass casualties would be so thoughtful as to try and limit the damage purely to the buildings they targeted?

There was more going on than just a plane hitting a tower. I'm not arguing that the US Government was involved, I doubt that, but there may have been corruption, and we're not getting the full story, nor we ever get the full story.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
A skyscraper getting hit by a plane, with an uneven amount of jet fuel sprayed everywhere that may loosen steel, caused a perfectly uniform (in both towers) fall, something which a building demolition team would be very proud of.
And yet demolition experts have pointed out that there are absolutely no signs of a controlled demolition in the debris. Moreover if you look at all the steps it takes to prepare a building for demolition, you start to realize just how implausible it is for them to have hidden such activity in a busy skyscraper. This isn't something they could have done over the weekend. Prepping a building for demolition takes many months.

Oh and one more thing: Controlled demolitions are designed to start from the bottom. The towers clearly started to collapse from the top. More specifically at the points of impact.

Same with the 7 World Trade Center - that went down in a controlled demolition and caused absolute minimum damage to the buildings beside it. You think terrorists plotting to cause mass casualties would be so thoughtful as to try and limit the damage purely to the buildings they targeted?
Except that makes even less sense. Why intentionally take down a building that wasn't even seen hit by a plane? Just to give conspiracy theorist something to question?

There was more going on than just a plane hitting a tower. I'm not arguing that the US Government was involved, I doubt that, but there may have been corruption, and we're not getting the full story, nor we ever get the full story.
Such "corruption" would have to involve so many people that it's ridiculous. The key to a good conspiracy is to have as few people involved as possible.

You will never get the full story you seek because it simply doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.