Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Hi Everyone,

So far i have the Sony HXR MC50u. Now i want to get a another camera and so far i have been look at JVC GY HM100U Camcorder and also Canon XF100. So far what do you guys recommend.
Something that will work nicely with Final Cut X and Adobe premiere Pro. This will be my second camera.

Last edited:

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
I'd go with the Canon. The JVC is nice when editing FCS only, due to the native .mov, but the mp4 for Windows are a bit of a pain.
The Canon outputs 4:2:2 at 50mbps... great image quality.

In fact, I have one on order and wait until B&H can ship.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Now i am narrowing it down to two of these camera. It will be a purchase for next year. I willing to go up a little more knowing that my camera is going to last . Since next year i am done paying off my car. I am planning to invest on camera. I now deciding between the canon xf100 or xf300. I like that xf300 and been reading on it but the thing that is going to kill me is the CF price. The bigger the size the expensive it gets. Put it this way my church event last about 4 to 6 hours. so i am going to need more CF card. Maybe record in the lowest setting so i can put more on the card.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
I have the JVC HM100U- three of them to be exact. They're great little cameras but the color on them I find is very bad no matter how well lit a scene is it always seems under saturated. So for picture quality on them I would give them a thumbs down. I always have to do a lot of work in Color Correction after editing. Otherwise, they are great cameras for what they can do. Not a single complaint beyond image quality.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I have a Sony NX5U which I love (worth taking a look at)
THe canon XF100/XF300 are similar the 300 is better then the 100. Can your budget afford it? The 100 is smaller then the 300. The 100 is more the size of the JVC.
What do you mostly film?

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
So far i been filming my church Vigil, wedding events, bautism, my own crazy videos. Soon me and my friend we want to do a documentary video. But This buy is for next year. I am thinking of getting the XF100 since it is small and i don't have to spend a lot of green. But i will check out the Sony NX5U and also i was checking out the sony NEX-VG20. I was thinking of going all out on the XF300 but CF card is also expensive. Advice guys. Since i have time and i am still doing research on those cameras and see which will be best for me.

I have a Sony NX5U which I love (worth taking a look at)
THe canon XF100/XF300 are similar the 300 is better then the 100. Can your budget afford it? The 100 is smaller then the 300. The 100 is more the size of the JVC.
What do you mostly film?

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
As long as you don't do any fancy slowmo framerate stuff in-camera, the Transcend cards are reported to be working.
They are pretty solid cards. I have been using them in my Olympus E-1 since I own it (8 years or so). None of them has ever failed (contrary to some Sandisk or Lexar "Pro" cards I had in between).

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
I'd go for a DSLR like the Canon T2i

Not to do what he's doing with his camera. DSLR's are great, but they are very limited compared to full feature camcorders. For one, you would never be able to shoot extended footage beyond 20 minutes before having to stop. Imagine doing a baptism or wedding with that limitation? You'd have to have several cameras to switch back and forth from. I won't bother going to into lack of audio, and poor to non-existent auto focus.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Even on my Sig show that I have a 60d. Keep it coming. I been liking around. I want to get a .camera that will .give better video quality then my Sony hxr Mc50u

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.